Will UAW Strike?

/ Will UAW Strike? #651  
Pick your fighters carefully...

107313035-1696621085725-Fain.JPG

/ Will UAW Strike? #652  
I dont know if I posted this here or not: but apparently the monthly Payment on a New F-150 now is an average of $973. That's not unique to Ford, or F-150s. I really don't know how that can be the average. I couldn't afford it. I am making uncomfortable payments on a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic 4x4 Bighorn, at $515/month for like 66 months. That's uncomfortable, but how could a 'normal' family be paying $1200-1800/month in Just car payments, not counting insurance, gas, Plus food (our houses single biggest expense), rent/mortage, and everything else. If that's going to be the cost for a new 1/2 ton pickup, I would buy a 5 year old truck with 100,000 miles, and pay 1/2 the $$$, and still have plenty of life left in it.

Without going down the 'signs we aren't going to make it' track; buying a new car/truck every 5 years is stupid (unless you have a business reason to do it).

Also, who the Heck is buying these teenagers new trucks? My son is 17, going on 18 in about 5 months, and we gave him a 2012 duragno that had a sale value of around $4k (trade in offered has $2.5k), which he traded for a 2003 Chevy 1500HD. Asked the bank about getting Him a loan (I would co-sign) to replace or repair that Chevy. Nope, under 18 Cannot have a loan, has to be 100% parents name. So these new vehicles at a HS are all 100% parent signed loans...

/ Will UAW Strike? #653  
Pick your fighters carefully...

107313035-1696621085725-Fain.JPG
If you think about it, even the lower end of UAW workers are probably in the upper 20% of pay for hourly workers in the US. So, Eat the Rich, they mean themselves. Their upper end union guys are probably in the upper 5-10% of hourly pay.

/ Will UAW Strike? #654  
Interestingly as well, my hunting buddy in Indiana (who is the plant manager of a steel concern there has always been an American truck buyer (RAM) and he told me, he's bought the last domestic truck he will purchase (he buys a new pickup truck every couple years), he told me his next truck will be a Toyota. He's pretty teed off with the UAW
Not sure I follow the logic here. I don't see how buying a second rate Japanese truck is going to hurt anyone but himself.

/ Will UAW Strike? #655  
Not sure I follow the logic here. I don't see how buying a second rate Japanese truck is going to hurt anyone but himself.
I suspect his wallet will be heavier. I didn't ask for details, just what he told me. I have to ask about your reasoning that a Japanese but built in the United States with American employees is a second rate truck.

If you apply that twisted logic to tractors, I guess no one should be buying anything in the way of tractors because 99% of them are made offshore. India, China, Japan and Korea... Even CNH and Deere are made with offshore sourced parts and often times complete units.

/ Will UAW Strike? #656  
Even 35 is too much IMO. A new F150 Lightening is pushing 100 grand. Not for me, ever.
My truck has been paid for since 1996.
In 1996 I bought a used 1991 Ford F-250 for $4,000
I'm still driving that truck

/ Will UAW Strike? #657  
I’m officially priced out of the market on anything new, except maybe a trailer or a smaller tractor attachment.

There is no way in hell I could buy a new truck, farm tractor, or baler Anymore. From here on out, everything will be used.
New trucks are pretty much status symbols for the remaining wealthy suburbanites And large companies.

/ Will UAW Strike? #658  
Vince... Problem is, nothing lasts forever and at some point you will have to buy another one. I'm like you with my 97 F350, but then it's garaged all winter and comes out only when it's nice out anyway. Don't believe I've even washed it in a year or so. No need to. Stays clean all the time...lol

/ Will UAW Strike? #659  
I’m officially priced out of the market on anything new, except maybe a trailer or a smaller tractor attachment.

There is no way in hell I could buy a new truck, farm tractor, or baler Anymore. From here on out, everything will be used.
New trucks are pretty much status symbols for the remaining wealthy suburbanites And large companies.
You are not joking on status symbol. We get looked down or that kind of look alot because of our 2008 f350 by owners of new SD or HD owners.

I just laugh cuz ours is paid for

/ Will UAW Strike? #660  
Vince... Problem is, nothing lasts forever and at some point you will have to buy another one. I'm like you with my 97 F350, but then it's garaged all winter and comes out only when it's nice out anyway. Don't believe I've even washed it in a year or so. No need to. Stays clean all the time...lol
With rust not a factor I may just keep the 1930 Ford pickup in service...

Been to Home Depot many times when I needed half dozen sacks of ready mix concrete and similar...

Just returned from Washington where apparently 25 years and older vehicles get a pass so in reality they can go in forever.

In my part of California 1976 and newer requires emissions compliance... restricting options.

The move across the board to ICE elimination continues with local jurisdictions often being stricter than State..

Never like the concept of rebooting but vehicles are truly computers on wheels.