Will UAW Strike?

/ Will UAW Strike? #51  
Didn't ask him that. 25 an hour pay raise.....hope they are on strike for a long time.

I don't have a problem with folks pushing for higher wages and some other issues but really??

Almost $70/hour to just watch movies plus with an extra 8 hours overtime with a 32 hour work week.....sorry, no sympathy from me

/ Will UAW Strike? #53  
Unfortunately the big 3 will cave. I say maybe a 6 week strike.

/ Will UAW Strike? #54  
Had breakfast with my brother, who is UAW. He was telling me about what they want from the big 3. He actually voted against a strike.

Big negative for him, according to him, was a $25/ hour raise. He said most people don't even make 25/hour. He did try and defend it by saying we haven't had a raise just a COLA raise. I told him, welcome to the real world

He was also told that they will strike no matter what

COLA raises are figured from and then added to the base pay.

Sometimes base pay is not updated with a new contract, but when base pay is negotiated, it is usually increased to match the current hourly rate.

Could that be part of his $25/ hr. raise?

UAW has not had COLA since 2009 when that was given up. I'm sure the $25 figure is adding in any increase with COLA.

2023 Resolution: Reclaim the Cost Of Living Allowance (COLA) Wage Adjustment - Unite All Workers for Democracy

/ Will UAW Strike? #55  
regardless if strike or not, & all the issues involved, reading the replies, i have a lot of respect for those forum members who worked in skilled & professional trades during their working careers, union or not. hats off to you on this weekend & best regards

/ Will UAW Strike? #56  
Unfortunately the big 3 will cave. I say maybe a 6 week strike.
No, they won't. Just had a conversation with my BIL and he said Fords will NOT capitulate.

They cannot afford it.

Not commenting again except to say, I'll visit this in 90 days.

/ Will UAW Strike? #57  
I remember in the 70s or 80s, auto assemblers weren't happy that women were being hired in the plants. Three women were (physically) sexually assaulted at a Dodge Plant. Dodge fired the men ..... wait for it ...

The UAW fought to have them reinstated.

Last edited:
   / Will UAW Strike? #58  
   / Will UAW Strike? #59  
Ford and GM are hemorrhaging money right now due to the EV situation.

The UAW could not have picked a worst time to strike. But this is a political move. There is a new union president and he needs to set his trajectory. Naked ambition.

You can't get blood out of a turnip and companies can't stay competitive with uncompetitive union contracts.

/ Will UAW Strike? #60  
My brother calls the new president of the UAW an idiot. Asking for way too much.