Who owns a triple 7k axle equipped trailer?

/ Who owns a triple 7k axle equipped trailer? #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
These trailers seem to get a bad rap for the front axle getting tore up on tight turns. Seems plausible if not handled correctly (turned too sharply, especially loaded).
Anyone own one? Any who does own one have issues with front axle?
If equipped with 14ply tires, any additional reasons to avoid triple 7’s?

/ Who owns a triple 7k axle equipped trailer? #2  
this is an issue with rv's, a lot of people talk about that 3rd axle being dragged. i also wouldn't be thrilled with the side load being put on it. there is a reason why dump trucks raise the 3rd wheel when making turns.

Last edited:
   / Who owns a triple 7k axle equipped trailer? #3  
this is an issue with rv's lots talk about that 3rd axle being dragged. i also wouldn't be thrilled with the side load being put on it. there is a reason dump trucks raise the 3rd wheel when making turns.
And why a lot of spread axle semi trailers are equipped with dump valves so the driver can dump the air off the suspension of the rear axle when making sharp turns. Saves trailer frames and tires.

/ Who owns a triple 7k axle equipped trailer? #4  
I just got done servicing 2 dozen trailers at work and we only have 2 tri axles left. The bearings get loose faster and the tires wear drastically quicker. I even had to weld up a spring hanger on the back axle that tore off from side loading. I'd say they would be fine for lots of highway mileage but i'd steer clear if you're using them a bunch locally. If you really need the load capacity, i'd go for a 20k tandem axle with singles or a deckover with duals. Ive also been in the truck with a guy when our tri axle hydroseeder almost pushed the rear axle of the truck out sideways because he hit a some lose gravel turning on to a dirt road. They definitely want to go straight.

/ Who owns a triple 7k axle equipped trailer? #5  
My tandem axels scrub bad enough. A 3 axel is a no from me.

/ Who owns a triple 7k axle equipped trailer? #6  
I don't have an issue with the tri-axle on our 30' Weekend Warrior Toy Hauler. It has 6k axles but has only weighed 15K at the most when loaded with provisions and the TJ. I don't turn very sharp with it though and it is very stable on the hiway.

20191120_203714.jpg

/ Who owns a triple 7k axle equipped trailer? #7  
Wouldn't you be further ahead with two 10.000lb axles with 17.5" rubber. There's a few trailers like that up here already and owners quite like them.

One big bonus is that the rubber lasts a lot longer as you are using a truck tire instead of a trailer tire.

/ Who owns a triple 7k axle equipped trailer? #8  
A friend of mine had one and it was rough on tires, there are times when you can't help but make really tight turns, especially when delivering or dropping off hay or equipment someplace you have never been, like turning into a 16' gate that is not setback off of the highway. My friend said he would never own another one.

/ Who owns a triple 7k axle equipped trailer?
I just got done servicing 2 dozen trailers at work and we only have 2 tri axles left. The bearings get loose faster and the tires wear drastically quicker. I even had to weld up a spring hanger on the back axle that tore off from side loading. I'd say they would be fine for lots of highway mileage but i'd steer clear if you're using them a bunch locally. If you really need the load capacity, i'd go for a 20k tandem axle with singles or a deckover with duals. Ive also been in the truck with a guy when our tri axle hydroseeder almost pushed the rear axle of the truck out sideways because he hit a some lose gravel turning on to a dirt road. They definitely want to go straight.

I agree with what you are saying. I have been looking at dual tandems over the winter and cannot find one with lower sides. They all have 3-4’ sides. Can’t find 2’ sides. I don’t want tall sides for specific reasons (Loading logs, can’t see bottom of trailer/floor from tractor seat to name one).
Only manufacturer that will make one I can find is Midsota/Titan and they are a long wait time. None on dealer lots.
Only low sided dual tandem trailers I can find are Lamar or Load Trail, but all have triple 7 axles.
The trailer industry seems like it’s a mess right now. Only “cookie cutter” or most popular sellers are available. Not much heavy duty stock.

/ Who owns a triple 7k axle equipped trailer? #10  
I have a trailer with 3 6k axles under it, it hasn't been a problem, but I agree that two axles = less scrubbing.

SR