What to drag behind a disc?

/ What to drag behind a disc? #11  
Something like this. These have become common behind BIG disks that I have seen at the AG shows.

And a 9' disk with 22" notched pans would be a good match for your tractor IMO.
Yes, that's kind of what I've seen on those videos. I haven't seen one done with rebar, or as cheaply built as that one. I sure hope a good one doesn't cost as much as that one!!!!!

/ What to drag behind a disc?
All good ideas. One thing about this project is the field had previously been let go. I disced it last summer. I was mostly 5-6 ft tall Mustard. So while the disc knocked it all down there was a lot of debris left on the surface. I tried the land plane but in 40ft it was clogged with the debris and holding dirt instead of letting it pass over the blades. So ~
I went to my buddy's place today and picked up a 3/4 x 8 inch inch dozer cutting blade. Weight is 200 pounds plus. I'm going to rig this up and give it a go... a more or less free attempt to solve the problem...
I do like that 6 ft culti-packer but the price - not so much. No used one around.
My mig is out of gas so no more progress today beyond ideas, keep em coming.

/ What to drag behind a disc? #13  
I made this almost two decades ago, and it works pretty good on clean soil, but if I take it into anything with branches of any kind, they get stuck under it and dig a never ending trench.

407.jpg

411.jpg

I just don't think it would accomplish anything after disking.

/ What to drag behind a disc? #14  
All good ideas. One thing about this project is the field had previously been let go. I disced it last summer. I was mostly 5-6 ft tall Mustard. So while the disc knocked it all down there was a lot of debris left on the surface. I tried the land plane but in 40ft it was clogged with the debris and holding dirt instead of letting it pass over the blades.
The advice I got from someone with years of experience operating a vineyard:

Next time, try mowing a couple of weeks before discing. The shredded and rotting material should be easier to disc into the soil. Instead of how knocked-over green weeds provide a surface mat, where the disc simply rolls along.

/ What to drag behind a disc? #15  
I agree with the idea of cutting it first before trying to disc it under.

I like the look of the cultipackers I've seen in use, but I don't have one either myself, and doubt I'd get enough use out of one to justify the expense.

/ What to drag behind a disc? #16  
I never had any problems with sticks or debris. The rippers broke it up and then the BB would catch and hold all the bigger debris. The grass was shaken out of the clumps and never a problem. Stop lift up the BB. and clear it out.

/ What to drag behind a disc? #17  
A cultipacker would be best. Ive got (2) 7 footers, one at our place and another over at my parents, about 20 miles away. Each of them were originally 8 footers, owned by neighbors of mine, but had some busted wheels.

I rebuilt the first one about 20 years ago. It was rusting away, back in a hedgerow, and I asked the guy what he wanted for it. He said “a case of beer”. I think that cost me $ 14 or so back then.

The last one had been dragged out to the road by another neighbor, along with a bunch of other “junk”. With (4) busted wheels and a broken frame, I saw that it had potential. I was tired of hauling the one I had back and forth to my parents place. A cultipacker works one heck of a lot better than dragging a log or railroad tie sideways. I offered $40 to the old woman for it, which she happily accepted.

It took me a couple hours to repair the frame, and make new treated wood bearings and spacers for it. It works great behind a 6 ft disk or drag.
200C44A9-EA51-4EE6-8E2B-2D5F13DBB58C.jpeg

4F11F30F-DA75-41B5-A3E2-A98BAAA2F5E2.jpeg

2DDD6193-3CC8-4A8A-AC6C-04D87492E7E5.jpeg

/ What to drag behind a disc? #18  
I use an 8' chain link, spike harrow and let mother nature flatten it with rain. Also have had situations where clods are large (clay soil) and run the harrow and then the packer....cylinder full of water....like a cultipacker but no variations in the surface

/ What to drag behind a disc? #19  
Chain link is the way to go no doubt. I use to play ball and that's how we did it 60's 70's. Little league. You see it today when they have the field crew drag it. I wanted to make my drag bigger also but it was a Chain link Gate that cought a trailer bumper which I had to cut out. When I tilled it Afterwards it does look like a baseball Dia.. Small rear Implements has always worked well for the little tractor. It my lawn mower and that's my Front yard in Profile. ;) Office window pic..
This is how Set it up also and then added weight were it was needed. 3'x5' Baseball/Softball Infield Steel Drag Mat

Attachments

• Picture 055.jpg
    Picture 055.jpg
    755.1 KB · Views: 200

Last edited:
   / What to drag behind a disc? #20  
All good ideas. One thing about this project is the field had previously been let go. I disced it last summer. I was mostly 5-6 ft tall Mustard. So while the disc knocked it all down there was a lot of debris left on the surface. I tried the land plane but in 40ft it was clogged with the debris and holding dirt instead of letting it pass over the blades. So ~
I went to my buddy's place today and picked up a 3/4 x 8 inch inch dozer cutting blade. Weight is 200 pounds plus. I'm going to rig this up and give it a go... a more or less free attempt to solve the problem...
I do like that 6 ft culti-packer but the price - not so much. No used one around.
My mig is out of gas so no more progress today beyond ideas, keep em coming.
I've worked overgrown land and watched several others and never saw a single pass do it all regardless how many implements are being dragged. The conventional apporach is mow or disc,let the elements break down stubble and soften clods then disc again and possably third time to get it right.