What to drag behind a disc?

/ What to drag behind a disc? #41  
Thanks for the link and pictures. This looks really good. 12 feet is too wide to get through my gates, so I'm looking to see if they have a ten foot one.
The Furest I have you can set up in many different widths and configurations, depending on your needs. The steel mat segments interlock with each other so I can make it wide (12 feet in my case) or narrow and long 4 feet x 16 feet or anything in between by leaving sections off and the one I have will fit through a narrow opening or around trees as it will slide around objects while being pulled. They also market a frame where you can use a 3PH to elevate it. I didn't get that, I just pull it behind and finally I see Tractor Supply is offering them now. I believe Fuerst was the original and everyone is now copying a good design. The tooth sections are I believe hardened and tempered steel. I know mine has basically no wear after using it for years and buying it used at a farm auction and we have abrasive sandy loam here that eats up wear shoes on anything the has ground contact. In fact I have to hard rod everything or I'm replacing wear shoes constantly and today, none of them are a cheap date. I did opt for the poly shoe protectors fot the disc bine wear shoes and they work pretty well (like farmers with combines have and The ones on JD headers are bright yellow of all colors, mine are dark red and install involves removing them individually (there are 12 individual shoes and drilling the shoes and adding them using counter sunk hex (Allen head) cap screws) but so far they seem to be working well. They are pretty soft and I really don't notice any reduction in pull resistance either. Everything else gets hard rodded SMAW, or wire rodded with Stody or Lincoln hard wire and the hard wire as well as the welding rods are pretty expensive to purchase.

/ What to drag behind a disc?
I stared at my junk long enough to think I already had a good drag. It was heavy and indestructible with a round front edge that would not dig in and a stout grading blade on the rear... All I had to do was flip my bucket over and tow it behind the tractor. Actually worked pretty good lol. For a no cost one time use, I'm happy.
And this Giant Crane came by to see if I kicked up and snakes or gophers... lots of gophers.

Attachments

• IMG_3559.JPG
    IMG_3559.JPG
    319.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3560.JPG
    IMG_3560.JPG
    325.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3557.JPG
    IMG_3557.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
   / What to drag behind a disc? #44  
Very creative. Looks like you got great results from it too!!!!

Very creative. Looks like you got great results from it too!!!!
I was surprised how well that worked. And pleased I did not make or buy something for this one time use...hope this helps somebody else needing to smooth a large area.

/ What to drag behind a disc? #46  
This would be slow for a large area, but I've had good results back-dragging the area after digging out stumps with the backhoe and driving over the fill to compress it. Bucket down and floated, with bucket curl adjusted to grade like Scootr described above. And while going backward, swerving can move material sideways toward low spots.

This is where apple harvest bins are lifted onto the truck so it has to be level, or at least smooth.

I made something out of the stuff lying about. Don't laugh, it was free :giggle:
Buddy gave me an old dozer blade...
Worked good on a freshly disced field to smooth it out for mowing next year.
It actually buried a bunch of the under 6" rock. The bigger stuff still on the top will have to be gathered but now you can see them a mile away.
Note the heavy rear channel is lower than the blade.

Attachments

• IMG_3578.JPG
    IMG_3578.JPG
    338.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Just made a pair of cylinder safety locks using scrap L metal. 2 pieces laid over each other making a U shaped lock. I prefer the bucket raised to clean the air filter etc.
These will make it safe.

Pictures later.

Attachments

• cylinder safety lock.jpg
    cylinder safety lock.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 37
   / What to drag behind a disc? #49  
I used to pull a piece of chain link fence with 3 or 4 tires wired to it.

Now I use a 4 bar spike harrow that came off a Do-All.

/ What to drag behind a disc? #50  
A 2’ piece of expanded metal like catwalk material works great I use a piece behind my tiller welded a couple arms attached with some chains when I lift up the tiller the rear chains are longer so it dumps off anything that’s on top at the end of the run!