What to drag behind a disc?

/ What to drag behind a disc? #21  
I level and break up clods after discing with a 12' ridged harrow.

I know... 2 steps, but I break up a lot of hay fields, and if you are plowing right, you can't have anything dragging behind the disc. At least in my opinion...

AAAxyEc.jpg

/ What to drag behind a disc? #22  
My neighbor - commercial orchardist - can turn high weeds under with his commercial quality rototiller.

In contrast, my Yanmar-Japan rototiller, perfected for rice paddy muck, tills weeds ok (photo) but it loads up with weeds and I have to dig them out after a few hundred ft. I hammered a curved linoleum knife into a piece of conduit for a long handle cleanout tool.

Now I mow first.

/ What to drag behind a disc? #23  
Buy an old section of drag harrow (spike tooth drag, field drag, pony drag)

Last edited:
   / What to drag behind a disc? #24  
Old burn mattress springs will work if it's a very light soil, but I don't expect it works worth a dang on anything like a clay or hardpan.

/ What to drag behind a disc? #25  
I level and break up clods after discing with a 12' ridged harrow.

I know... 2 steps, but I break up a lot of hay fields, and if you are plowing right, you can't have anything dragging behind the disc. At least in my opinion...

AAAxyEc.jpg
I had to save this picture. There's so much that I like about this drag!!!!

Do you have any video of it being used? Any other pictures?

/ What to drag behind a disc? #26  
I had to save this picture. There's so much that I like about this drag!!!!

Do you have any video of it being used? Any other pictures?
Eddie, I've had that about 5 years. It's made by Armstrong Ag here in Texas.

Not only do I use it for leveling plowed ground, but I use it in pastures to knock down gopher mounds and fire ants, and repair hog damage in some cases. You can set the height to whatever you want, or deep as you want. I use it a bunch.

U2EyMo1.jpg

CyzBlQA.jpg

/ What to drag behind a disc? #27  
Eddie, I've had that about 5 years. It's made by Armstrong Ag here in Texas.

Not only do I use it for leveling plowed ground, but I use it in pastures to knock down gopher mounds and fire ants, and repair hog damage in some cases. You can set the height to whatever you want, or deep as you want. I use it a bunch.

U2EyMo1.jpg

CyzBlQA.jpg

Now I can see what it is by your link, we have always called those spike teeth harrows.
Often found on light weight frames for dressing tilled fields and also nice for breaking up cow patties in the spring on pasture ground.

/ What to drag behind a disc? #28  
we have always called those spike teeth harrows.
Often found on light weight frames for dressing tilled fields and also nice for breaking up cow patties in the spring on pasture ground.
I bought a smaller one that had been dragged behind a disk, and cobbled up a lifting mechanism.

Lift version 2 using a pulley re-purposed from exercise equipment, doubles the lift provided by the 3-point.

Application - knocking down gopher mounds in the haul paths, loosening gravel in the lane so the angle blade can spread it more evenly, and ripping out blackberry runners beyond where they are wanted.

Last edited:
   / What to drag behind a disc? #29  
Definitely mow or brush hog it first. You could disc it then and get decent results. I use a chain harrow on mine after discing. It is like giant chain link 1/2'' material with 2'' points that rough up the ground. Its about 8 foot wide and 12 feet long and mounted to a three point frame so that it can be picked up and transported- some are just dragged on the ground. I got mine used at an auction for $325 and it needed some welding and torching but was a good buy considering a new one similar size without the 3 point frame is 12-1500 bucks.

/ What to drag behind a disc? #30  
I made a drag out of an old 10 ft wide gate , i wired chain link fence on one side and strapped a log on top , one pass after disking and it looks like a ball field i use it all the time for food plots .