What is the oddest machine you have worked on or operated

/ What is the oddest machine you have worked on or operated #121  
As a teen in the 70’s I worked briefly for a neighbor who contracted painting the traffic lines on highways and airport runways. He was a bit of an inventor and fabricator so some interesting equipment. Who knew that fine glass beads were dropped onto the wet paint to make it reflective at night?. 🤔

/ What is the oddest machine you have worked on or operated #122  
Not a wenkel rotary combustion two stroke engine I mentioned earlier but I currently have a few older rotary valve two strokes. They are pretty interesting and kind of odd at a small scale level. Especially if compared to reed valves imo.

/ What is the oddest machine you have worked on or operated #123  
As a teenager working on a milk farm I had to drive and get corn silage from another farm. They had a scale and a tractor with fel in a large flat barn where I’d drive up, weigh the empty truck, drive into the barn, load and weigh out. The honor system at its best. One morning I set out with the big flatbed truck, weighed in and drove into the barn. The tractor was no where to be seen instead there was this giant articulated loader. I was like, whelp cows gotta eat so I jumped in it, read through the stickers and started it. When I turned the wheel I got a big surprise as the center swing to turn was whoa Nelly! Loaded the truck in 3 scoops when it usually took six and headed back. I’ll never forget the feeling of driving that monster!

/ What is the oddest machine you have worked on or operated #124  
   / What is the oddest machine you have worked on or operated #125  
I had a business designing and building custom magnetic controls and transformers. One morning I got a call from a company in middle PA whose main product was brass rod. After the rod is extruded, it has to be pickeled. To fit a reasonable amount in a pickeling tank, the rod has be coiled. Once pickeled, the rod is straightened and polished.

They had a German designed custom machine for their 3" Octagonal rod that un-coiled, straightened, polished and then cut the rod to length. It was built in the early '30s and had seen nearly 60 years of continuous use 24/7/365 - at least that is what they were trying to do.

The call was about a clutch/brake controller they had seen I had designed for another customer. This cut off saw used a vacuum tube controller to operate a large clutch and brake to get a "flying cut off saw" up to speed and moving at the same rate as the rod. Once to speed, the rod continued to push the saw table as a clamp locked the table to the rod. The saw dropped, the piece was pulled away and then the table clamp released to send the saw back to its home position where the brake had to stop it.

The issue they had is that they could no longer get parts to keep the controller running and they needed a new design/new supply of parts.

It was one of the more interesting challenges I took on. Big power.. Large mechanical forces.. there is far more to the story but I will spare the details.

Probably the oldest machine I ever working on.

/ What is the oddest machine you have worked on or operated #126  
Hi all, been lurking for a while, used to operate and maintain these machines.
Barrier machine was used to move a concrete barrier on the Auckland Harbour Bridge.
Bridge inspection truck was built to look at, and work on structures, would go down 12 mtrs, or up to 19 mtrs, would get across to the other side of a two lane bridge. Good lurk, got to go around the country for a few years.
1st barrier run.jpg

Attachments

• Banana Bridge SH 3 raetihi.jpg
    Banana Bridge SH 3 raetihi.jpg
    676.5 KB · Views: 39
   / What is the oddest machine you have worked on or operated #127  
So does 'worked on' mean I can rant about the shittty design of the Howard Price TURF BLAZER I owned for awhile years ago? What a pile of crap. A few of it's 'better' points....To change the main drive belt from engine to PTO, you had to pull the engine. To take out the PTO shaft to replace the brake, there were bolts installed on brackets, that had parts of the frame welded around them during assembly. I had to torch holes in the frame to access the bolt heads. Usually when you see one of these machines listed for sale they are low hours. That's because they were a very poorly performing mower.

/ What is the oddest machine you have worked on or operated #128  
Hi all, been lurking for a while, used to operate and maintain these machines.
Barrier machine was used to move a concrete barrier on the Auckland Harbour Bridge.
Bridge inspection truck was built to look at, and work on structures, would go down 12 mtrs, or up to 19 mtrs, would get across to the other side of a two lane bridge. Good lurk, got to go around the country for a few years.View attachment 851951
Your not getting me into that bucket.but ive seen the idaho dept of transportation use similar truck on bridge inspections here also.

/ What is the oddest machine you have worked on or operated #129  
Your not getting me into that bucket.but ive seen the idaho dept of transportation use similar truck on bridge inspections here also.
Every state that does bridge inspections has them.

/ What is the oddest machine you have worked on or operated #130  
I worked for terex and on demo day, the employees could operate machines. I had a 4ft augar to run like seen here and gee whiz, could I make dirt fly with it!
1707773305164.jpeg