what do ya think?

/ what do ya think? #1  

sparc

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator
Found this single axle trailer with 6200 rating for sale cheap. Comes with the reach for good measure. Could I move my bobcat m610 or my tractor (Ford 2000) with it? The bobcat is 3900#, tractor is about the same.

/ what do ya think? #2  
How many lugs are the axle on it? I have never heard of a 6200 lb axle, and it seems odd that anyone would use a single 7000 lb axle on a trailer.

/ what do ya think? #3  
Some of the line equipment installers have single axle trailers with much higher ratings... I've seen ratings of 12,000 for a single axle spool carrier.

The city has a small size pavement roller on a single axle tilt trailer with a 6,000 pound rating...

A lot of the farmers I used to know would use military surplus D ring hitch high capacity trailers... all were single axle.

I think using it is more a function of your tow vehicle and motor vehicle code for Brakes.

/ what do ya think? #4  
I would not want to carry that weight on a single.

Chris

/ what do ya think?
I see my photo didn't get posted with my message from my phone, I'll try again from the desktop. The aerial lift is 4600#, more than my little bobcat or the tractor. It might not have brakes, i will have to find out about that.

There are 6 lugs on the wheel. Yes, its a lot of weight and a balancing act. I guess for the lift if the trailer is designed just for it it works, a tractor or the bobcat which probably is not as balanced a load as the aerial lift might be a problem, especially without brakes.

IMAG0916.jpg

It might not be wide enough for the tractor, the lift is 48" wide so just looking at the trailer the usable width can't be much more than 72" which would be tight for the tractor, bobcat would fit though.

/ what do ya think? #6  
It would be difficult to balance the load but is do-able. One of the axles on my dump trailer is rated at 5200 lb. That axle on a trailer with assumed 20% tongue weight would return a GVWR of around 6500 lbs.

/ what do ya think?
I know one thing. If I was hauling that aerial lift around on any trailer I would have something over the top to hold the platform down, the way this thing is rigged now its only got chains fore and aft from the bottom of the lifts' frame to the trailer, on a bouncy road I wouldn't trust the platform to not jump up and down. Anyone here moved these things before and should it have some additional restraints?

"A lot of the farmers I used to know would use military surplus D ring hitch high capacity trailers... all were single axle."

But those trailers are designed to be drug at relatively slow speeds and across battlefields. Most older Mil vehicles were not designed to travel at over 55 mph for very long, if they went that fast. A convoy moves at 45 to 50 mph normally IIRC.

/ what do ya think? #8  
i'd shoot myself in the foot before I ever move a(nother) piece of equipment on a single axle trailer....

/ what do ya think?
i'd shoot myself in the foot before I ever move a(nother) piece of equipment on a single axle trailer....

How did it ride? Only single axle trailer i have pulled was a small boat trailer.

/ what do ya think? #10  
I pulled a compact tractor home years ago.. was a lil 21hp jap job. only trailer I had was a neighbors box sided trailer.. loks like it would be great for a lawnmower. had just enough room to pull the tractor on and have rear tires over the rear edge of the trailer. load ramps looked suspiciously like 2x12, and one cracked just like 2x12 on load up!

it had no brakes.. and a short tounge... I made a teeter totter white knuckle mess down back roads hauling it home. every stop looked like a latin dance maneuver.

mind you that was a smaller truck than I now drive. it was a ford ranger then. I'm sure I could haul the same laod on my f450 DRW and not know it's back there.. etc.

still.. just saying.

I got a 16' tandem car hauler after that episode.. and then a more real truck post haste ( dodge half ton )