What did you do with your Power Trac today?

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #341  
I also purchased a new 7000# PTO winch military surplus from a Gama Goat for $250. Still in the crate. I'll probably use that on my trailer to load logs out at our property. I'll power it with a hydraulic motor/gas engine setup on the trailer, but make it usable on the PT425 as well. Might take the log splitter and make its engine/pump setup portable for the trailer. All kinds of fun.

You lucky dog! I have been looking for one for years and they haven't ever been cheap enough for me to buy.

Have fun!

Peter

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #342  
So,...I chipped wood with the 1445 today for ninety minutes (60%-100% throttle).

• Outside air temp 55-60F, about what it was when I measured above
  • engine oil temp 200F
  • exhaust temperature 500F, +/-, up from 390F
  • outside of muffler now 120F, down from 390F,
  • hydraulic oil 105F coming off of the oil cooler and
  • hydraulic oil 125F in the tank and oil filter.
Muffler wrap for the win!

As hot hydraulic fluids have been a pretty constant issue for me, the muffler wrap was so worth it. I think that the hydraulic oil cooler works better because it now pulls in cooler air over the muffler. I may need to do a slight adjustment of the exhaust tip angle to keep it from blowing on the tire, but no issues so far.

All the best,

Peter

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #344  
Replacing old corral fences, aka fun with the Power-Trac post driver;
IMG_5117.jpeg

The tractor is on a narrow road perpendicular to the tractor, I.e. along the fence line, so some of the posts involved backing up the 25 degree slope to the left, which leads to some creative parking. This is the fence in the back of #330 What did you do with your Power Trac today?

All the best,

Peter

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #345  
Looks like some very challenging terrain to work on

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #347  
Looks like some very challenging terrain to work on
Isn't the line "Join the club, we've jackets"? Which is why I bought a 1445. The slopes on my terrain make many jobs complicated, and some things only in certain seasons, and some only with lots of preplanning.
especially when using a heavy post driver.
Definitely! When I was thinking about buying, Terry did mention to me that one unlucky owner had tipped his tractor over with the post driver on a steep slope. I have tried hard not to be owner #2.

Despite its weight, I find it easier to use on slopes than an auger because once you are at your desired location, it is much more stable, as the ground pad of the driver has as much tractor weight on it as you want. Whereas with an auger, it is just the tractor wheels, and you have to have the tractor more or less exactly on the slope line.

Driving the post driver around on slopes, I am careful to keep the driver tipped to near horizontal, but not too near, as it possible to have it fully extend out if it is pointing downhill. I also try to go up/downslopes with the driver pointing uphill, whenever possible. I don't raise it to the vertical unless the driver is moving up in the vertical plane, or close to it. With those caveats, it is a great tool. All challenges aside, the post driver works well in my heavy clay soils, as long as there is some moisture in the soil. From now through November, if I need to drive a post, I will dig a six inch deep hole the day before and add a gallon or so of water, which is enough to soften the soil. Otherwise, the poor post is between the literal rock and a hard place, and not every post survives to the subsoil with some moisture in it.

All the best,

Peter

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #348  
Out pulling bay tree sprouts today. In prior years, I have tried pruning, and various chemical treatments to no avail.

Process: drive up to sprouts, wrap chain around suckers, pull, repeat. Usually, the engine is running, so I'm wearing ear muffs, and I'm reaching into the brush and leaf litter around stumps.
IMG_5131.jpeg

The space above the retaining wall looked like the brush in front of the PT. Lots of suckers.

IMG_5132.jpeg

The process gets surprisingly large roots out, which makes me hopeful about reducing regrowth. (No I did not cut that root, it just peeled away like that.)

SO...on my second to last pull of the day, working my way around a large stump, I pull the chain around a clump, and reach down to wrap the chain around a second time, and out from under the chain, four inches away from gloved hand, shoots out a two to two and half foot long four year old rattlesnake. 👁️👁️ :eek:

That got my heart rate up. Nothing like a rattlesnake at close quarters to get me wound up, and that is by far the closest that I have been to a rattlesnake that wasn't behind glass. For all I know, he could have been rattling for five minutes as I got closer to his hole in the stump. I haven't seen a rattlesnake move that fast before, either, so he was pretty wound up as well.

Maybe leaving the tractor running and wearing earmuffs while reaching into brush wasn't a smart plan. Note to self, new plan: remove ear protection before reaching into brush.

Now for a calming cup of tea or something...

All the best,

Peter

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #349  
Yikes!

The most excitement I might get is a bunny! 🤣

/ What did you do with your Power Trac today? #350  
I'd settle for a bunny any day!