What compressor would you get?

• Thread starter Deleted member 371759
  • Start date
   / What compressor would you get? #41  
Best friend has an IR30(?) 60 gal single stage. From the era when they were OK ~20 yrs old. Pressure switch failed - age, no biggie. Got a replacement from IR which took weeks and went through 4 of them until one actually worked. Getting them on the phone was apparently nearly impossible too. Fortunately not a critical machine for him at that point. I helped him with this fix so saw it. Second hand I have read many people talk about pump and motor failures in new compressors and crap warranty service the past few years. Several years back i would be on the bandwagon saying they make great stuff and recommending them. Unfortunately that has changed for the worse. I have it heard it consistently and so many times, it cannot be fake news.

It seems Quincy is still solid. I have one that is locally made by C-Aire that has been bullet proof for 10+ yrs now in an 80 gal 2 stage. There are others like Atlas but they get very pricey. You get what you pay for ... When you say you want to do sandblasting, the air requirements go off the charts, and that is where you start getting into serious equipment.

Generally agree,...

I had two matching 5 HP 60 gallon single stage Ingersoll's.

Never a problem of any kind, built in the early 1980's both sporting Century motors.

Sold one and shouldn't have.

Now starting to get back to painting a car or two since the local shops rates have gone absolutely crazy.
Most will not touch an old American muscle car and only do new(er) vehicle Insurance contracts

I almost went ahead and bought another Ingersoll, but like you posted some of these newer reported failures had me wondering.

So ,Like you said Quincy,

I decided to switch to a Quincy QT-54 which was available locally and decided to go pick one up with the care kit that gets a two year warranty instead of one, for about $2150 all in.

I was looking it over and what I saw stopped me in my tracks....

No more Baldor 5 HP USA motor... In fact no Brand at all
just made in China. 5hp.

The same store had what I had considered a lower line brand of compressor (Black Diamond) and they were having a big sale.
After looking closely, a few things stood out all three brands were assembled in the US and had ASME certified tanks.

The Ingersoll and Quincy do state continuous duty which both of my previous Ingersolls were as well..

The Black Diamond does mot specifically say it, but looking closer at the motor it is built with a Century running HP of 6 (B387) with overload protection and is a continuous duty 24 amp motor. The replacement B387 is about $670- a couple hundred more than the 384 model 5 hp Century on the Ingersoll. They advertise the Black Diamond as a 5 HP compressor

Doing some research ,The Black Diamond is built / manufactured by MAT Holdings which has 7 foundries and is the parent company of Bendix and maybe the largest US maker of brake rotors and many iron castings It appears they manufacture the 2 stage pump and tanks for several companies and have all parts listed under their brand of "Industrial Air" on the home site.

The unit is an 80 gallon unit with 17 CFM @175 PSI. It runs the pump at under 700 RPM if the manual is right, and they had a sale price of $1800 with a $400 gift card. A care kit with belts, 3 air cleaners, and 6 quarts fully synthetic oil, which extends the base Black Diamond two year warranty to a Full four years for $1575 all in.

After seeing the same basic unit (model --- V 5048055) built by MAT holdings for Dewalt and sold for ~ $2600 which has the same 6 HP 387 Century 24 amp motor as the Industrial Air and Black Diamond That settled it, after mulling it over for a night.

Have run this compressor for a while seems to run fairly cool, time will tell, but the Quincy with no name and less HP motor was not happening,
Kicker is most reference info for a Quincy QT- 54 still show and quote made in USA Baldor heavy duty motor.
pic of arriving home and tractor about to unload it, a bit heavier @ ~520 lb than the old Ingersoll single stage .

Time will tell. If it does need service the old Ingersoll will pick up the slack, but it could really use a new set of rings which Ingersoll apparently no longer stocks or sells.

ps. a pic of a new this year
Quincy QT-54 with motor tag visible.

Attachments

• PXL_20230906_192025254.jpg
    PXL_20230906_192025254.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 86
  • PXL_20230905_225829299.jpg
    PXL_20230905_225829299.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
   / What compressor would you get? #42  
The Black Diamond does mot specifically say it, but looking closer at the motor it is built with a Century running HP of 6 (B387) with overload protection and is a continuous duty 24 amp motor. The replacement B387 is about $670- a couple hundred more than the 384 model 5 hp Century on the Ingersoll. They advertise the Black Diamond as a 5 HP compressor
A 24 amp motor on 240V doesn't make 6hp, in fact it really doesn't even make 5hp.

I never look at the motor "rating", I go straight to the motor plate and look at the amps it pulls, and with the loses in a motor, it takes 10 amps to make one hp, and actually, I like to see 12 amps per hp, it you want a strong motor.

Heck, I have a vacuum in my shop that says it's rated 6hp, all from a 120V 20 amp outlet. There's some magic for you! lol

SR

/ What compressor would you get? #43  
I never look at the motor "rating", I go straight to the motor plate and look at the amps it pulls, and with the loses in a motor, it takes 10 amps to make one hp, and actually, I like to see 12 amps per hp, it you want a strong motor.

Heck, I have a vacuum in my shop that says it's rated 6hp, all from a 120V 20 amp outlet. There's some magic for you! lol

SR
[/QUOTE]

Lets face it , Most all of these being discussed are "consumer" air compressors. We had some big cast iron cased motors on the ranch running on 3 phase. I get what you are saying and if the motor on this new compressor was a "SPL" (special) HP an eyebrow would have been raised.

I just figured they used the slightly higher current motor to get a higher service factor since the B 387 is a 1 SF
a 230VAC single phase motor drawing 24 amps is well over 5000 watts continuous 746 watts per HP and most newer motors can achieve an 85% efficiency.

Longevity well that's another thing....

240VAC @ 24 amps as a running current, that is in fact enough for a "real" 5 hp output which is what the compressor is advertised as.

NEMA rated motors have a "Service Factor" on them, anything >=1 means continuous rated, at rated horsepower.

B387 or B384 are NEMA rated 1 SF or higher.

Lets see that NEMA rating in print from your vacuum.

Regardless, this compressor pumps an 80 Gallon tank to 175 psi in 6 and 1/2 minutes and does it without a screaming pump which when I need it, combined with the Ingersoll should be able to provide 30 CFM @ 90 PSI which is enough to run air tools and paint vehicles without dropping the PSI to the tool.
If instead of painting, I was sandblasting more than a little bit and not only occasionally with a small pot tank, a different choice would have been needed.

Have to say, 2880 watts input for for a single horsepower output is a Very inefficient motor but bet it will outlast a Timex.

Last edited:
   / What compressor would you get? #44  
How come no one mentioned Le Roi compressors?

Mine has been kickin=azz since the 80's,

Resized-20231105-143621-S.jpg

They last and last,

SR

/ What compressor would you get? #46  
Good thread, why was the poster deleted?

Deleted member 371759​

Guest​

Good question Kyle. I've never seen a username that wouldn't highlight when moused over.

/ What compressor would you get? #47  
I have a quincy I purchased fron Northern Tool.
Do not ever buy a oil less compressor.

/ What compressor would you get? #48  
I have. Thomas oil less in my service van since 1990...

It does a great job and in a pinch use it for my nail guns... primarily it's for inflation as the truck is piped front to back with quick disconnects.

What's wrong with oil less?