What compressor would you get?

• Thread starter Deleted member 371759
  • Start date
   / What compressor would you get? #21  
Lol. Nothing is cheap (inexpensive) on Amazon.

You may want to try a local fluid power outlet near you, like a Parker store. The ones here locally can usually compete very well with Amazon and you can actually put your hands on the stuff before buying

/ What compressor would you get?
Lol. Nothing is cheap (inexpensive) on Amazon.

You may want to try a local fluid power outlet near you, like a Parker store. The ones here locally can usually compete very well with Amazon and you can actually put your hands on the stuff before buying
In theory thats a great idea. In practice its 40 minute drive to town and no one stocks stuff like that around here. Nearest Parker store is 80 miles away. If home depot, harbor freight or TSC don't have it. Good luck.

/ What compressor would you get? #23  
Beware of compressor duty motors. Listed as 5hp peak 3hp continuous.

I have an IR dual stage with a 7hp motor. It pumps air faster than I can drain the tank with any tool.

Curtis makes good stuff ad well

/ What compressor would you get? #24  
The IR is only a single stage compressor. I have a 2 stage 5hp 80 gal vertical, the high limit is 175 PSI. My plasma cutter, Hypertherm 65 makes the compressor run hard. If it was my choice I would get a 2 stage at a minimum. More CFM.

The IR is only a single stage compressor. I have a 2 stage 5hp 80 gal vertical, the high limit is 175 PSI. My plasma cutter, Hypertherm 65 makes the compressor run hard. If it was my choice I would get a 2 stage at a minimum. More CFM.
Yep I ended up going with

/ What compressor would you get? #26  
Looks like I am too late but avoid new IR compressors. They used to be very solid, but have gone to crap the past several years. They have cheapened and China-sourced everything with low grade components and people are having tons of problems with them now. A sad statement for a once great name. Quincy is still good and there are other solid names out there.

Looks like I am too late but avoid new IR compressors. They used to be very solid, but have gone to crap the past several years. They have cheapened and China-sourced everything with low grade components and people are having tons of problems with them now. A sad statement for a once great name. Quincy is still good and there are other solid names out there.

I'll have to live with my choice. I'm not spending anymore than I already did on a compressor. It has a 1 year warranty so I will know by then. I 100% know its not a TOL air compressor. Nothing I have is TOL. I drive 20+ year old trucks, have Harbor Freight tools, live in a shack and am way dumber than most.

/ What compressor would you get? #28  
IR makes a premium product.

Regardless of the compressor you buy; buy a drier if you don't already have one.

/ What compressor would you get? #29  
IR makes a premium product.

Regardless of the compressor you buy; buy a drier if you don't already have one.
Correction: MADE. They no longer do and are just trading on their previous good name. Have seen it first hand and heard many confirm it second hand. I hate to see it happen, but it does and did here.

Correction: MADE. They no longer do and are just trading on their previous good name. Have seen it first hand and heard many confirm it second hand. I hate to see it happen, but it does and did here.
What IR compressor did you have and what failed? Sounds like I will have to suffer with more junky stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: