Welding brackets on tractor frame

/ Welding brackets on tractor frame #1  

Buggs67

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti 2014 CK2510 TLB
I'm new to welding and just got an arc welder. I want to weld some brackets on the tractors frame and I don't want to damage any electronics. Do I need to disconnect the battery? Both terminals or just NEG?

/ Welding brackets on tractor frame #2  
Tag for interest as I'm also too chicken to weld on the tractor itself.

/ Welding brackets on tractor frame #4  
I'm new to welding and just got an arc welder. I want to weld some brackets on the tractors frame and I don't want to damage any electronics. Do I need to disconnect the battery? Both terminals or just NEG?

/ Welding brackets on tractor frame #5  
Put your ground clamp close to the point you are welding on.

Current will flow between the arc point and the ground clamp.

You should be fine. No need to disconnect the battery.

In theory there will be a voltage drop between the arc and the ground clamp, and this voltage could drive currents to flow elsewhere, but unlikely, as such currents would see the path of minimum resistance, which is between the arc point and the ground clamp, and not flow elsewhere to any significant degree.

edit: Actually it is the voltage that drives the current flow, and saying the currents would see something is rather simplistic, but actually that is the apparent result at the end of the day...

/ Welding brackets on tractor frame #6  
Depends on the age of the tractor. If the tractor has IC control modules, best to pull the battery ground to be safe. Same with welding on a car or truck.

/ Welding brackets on tractor frame #7  
It's usually easier to pull the ground cable off, then to replace parts.
With the ground clamp close to the working area you usually will not have any problems,
but electronics are funny critters what never bothered for years can be destroyed today doing the same thing.
I have seen simple alternator diodes go out from welding and engine controllers survive, I prefer to disconnect the battery ground.

/ Welding brackets on tractor frame #8  
Call your dealer service dept just to double check.

Before welding on our new Kubota I check with dealer service and they be very wise to disconnect battery more so if it has cab.

/ Welding brackets on tractor frame #9  
Disconnect one side of the battery - I usually disconnect the ground (frame) side before welding on any part of the tractor.
That said, about the only things that I will weld to on any tractor are the loader and body work. Too much of the rest of the tractor is either cast iron or cast steel. You don't want to weld to either.
So a good rule is DO NOT weld to the frame if there is any way you can do the mounting by drilling, tapping, or bolting. You can weld anything you want to the fenders or the loader bucket - but not to the cutting edge.
luck,
rScotty

/ Welding brackets on tractor frame #10  
Disconnect the battery ground does just that, disconnect the BATTERY ground. Often the components are also grounded to the frame and not back to the battery so it doesn't matter if you just disconnect the battery ground.