UTV - Trying to Decide

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #201  
   / UTV - Trying to Decide #202  
Now show me all those with rear diffs that the rears are not locked together?

BTW the quad are 2002, 2007 and 2008 but the locked together rears where the most common unless that changed in the last couple of years.

UTV Buyer’s Guides always mention when a rig comes with a Turf Mode. This drive setting turns a UTV’s typical two-wheel drive — when both rear half-shafts are locked together — into one-wheel drive. Doing so allows the back wheels to rotate at different speeds. The benefit comes when making turns and the outside wheel travels further than the inside wheel. In Turf Mode, the inside wheel can move freely at its own speed instead of being dragged over the lawn.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #203  
Also most Sport ATVs are solid axle even today....best selling sports atv:
"The Raptor’s hybrid steel aluminum frame combined with a YZ-style swing arm and solid rear axle produces a strong structure while remaining the lightest ATV in its class"
I see a lot of these with folks coming out to ride, way more than utility quads for the city folks.

I also have no perspective on a 6x6 ATV just not seen in these parts.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #204  
The early JD gator was solidly mounted axles as well as a solid diff.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #205  
I still want a old school Gator 6x4 diesel with a Curtis cab, but I heard vital parts are now discontinued? I was going to buy one for sale locally on FBM, but my JD parts guy thinks I will have issues with finding some parts.

View attachment 852868

The new version of the 6x4 looks like it’s built out of Tupperware (n) , but still has similar drivetrain.

Wish I had more real useable information.
My old 6x4 was fun. I have a NIB clutch, belts etc on FB marketplace if u ever have a need.

Ditto on the foreman w solid rear axle. Friend has one. The older ones are referred to as the “f250” of quads. (That is supposed to mean tough and dependable lol not fix or repair daily!!)

I would jump on an old one priced right

Last edited:
   / UTV - Trying to Decide #206  
You could always go nuts, and get a Sherp

IMG_6850.jpeg

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #208  
My old 6x4 was fun. I have a NIB clutch, belts etc on FB marketplace if u ever have a need.

Ditto on the foreman w solid rear axle. Friend has one. The older ones are referred to as the “f250” of quads. (That is supposed to mean tough and dependable lol not fix or repair daily!!)

I would jump on an old one priced right
It’s funny because the parts guy was telling me the “low speed” clutches were a part no longer in production.

Would you recommend the Gator 6x4? I would be using it for work on hilly fields. No need for high speed. More work, pulling, etc.

Last edited:
   / UTV - Trying to Decide #210  
It’s funny because the parts guy was telling me the “low speed” clutches were a part no longer in production.

Would you recommend the Gator 6x4? I would be using it for work on hilly fields. No need for high speed. More work, pulling, etc.
A neighbor had one, it would pull and go like a bear, in a straight line. With a load in or behind it and especially on slick surfaces it wouldn't turn worth a dang.
The old Suzuki quadrunner with the Hi, Lo, and super low would out run and out turn it every wheres.