Using Railroad Track for bridge beams

/ Using Railroad Track for bridge beams #51  
As I read the original post, it sounds like there is plenty of steel available. How many sticks were you planning to use for the bridge?
Maybe put 20 of them across the creek, side by side, connected to its neighbors so a point load is shared by multiples... I wonder if putting them in an arched fashion (the ends butting into something solid, with the buttresses being slightly closer to each other than the rail is long, so that the bridge is somewhat arched) could increase the strength? or would that must make it more wobbly side-to-side...

If @LD1's calcs are right (check with an engineer!) in post 30 a single rail would deflect twice as much as desirable, but if you can tie them together somehow so that the load is shared, it sounds like it could be done.

I'm still in the "get an old flatbed rail car instead" camp, though - just because something can be done doesn't mean it's going to be easy or ideal.

/ Using Railroad Track for bridge beams #52  
Whether you use for bridge or not, take those rails home. There will be a use at point in your life...

/ Using Railroad Track for bridge beams #53  
The sea can or semi trailers are solid plans but mobile home frames barely support themselves.
My neighbor has a 1978 mobile home trailer that is constructed on 2 heavy duty 12-inch I-beams. These are massive and amazingly strong. It takes a 35Hp tractor just to move the the frame on wheels by itself. The mobile home part was destroyed by high winds decades ago. It's just a frame.

/ Using Railroad Track for bridge beams #54  
My neighbor has a 1978 mobile home trailer that is constructed on 2 heavy duty 12-inch I-beams. These are massive and amazingly strong. It takes a 35Hp tractor just to move the the frame on wheels by itself. The mobile home part was destroyed by high winds decades ago. It's just a frame.
Must be a rare good mobile home.
I have never seen one that I would rate ANY steel component as "heavy duty".

The I-beams are the lightest and thinnest I have ever seen.

/ Using Railroad Track for bridge beams #55  

I would bet more on that being something that someone has built. Most mobile home frames are extremely flimsy. Camper frames are maybe a step better but they still rely on the box for stability and aren’t very sturdy.