TYM 494 or Branson 4820

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #1  

CloverKnollFarms

Elite Member
Tractor
TYM4820H
They are quite similar, both share a power plant... my TYM dealers are further away, but seem much more established.

I have not been able to look over either tractor, so build quality is an enigma. Does the TYM have the same plastic hood as the RK?

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #4  
I would base my decision on which dealer I felt would provide the best support. They are both fine machines.

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #5  
I have a Branson and it's a great machine, I had a Mahindra 3510 (made by TYM) and it also was a great machine. Like said you can't go wrong with either.

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #6  
I am looking closely at both of these, most likely no will end up with one of them.

For me, it will come down to price when similarly equipped. If those are close, dealer will come into play. From what I can tell, the TYM has a few more standard features. TYM dealer is closer, but Branson dealer is one of their best.

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #7  
Good luck with your decision and have fun.

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #8  
I had an opportunity to compare in actual use my 4720 to a TYM 494 a few years back when my neighbor bought a TYM. We traded tractors for a day just for the heck of it. See this post; TYM T454 cab vs Branson 4720ch
The bottom line is that the TYM is cushier and has more eye appealing features in the show room and did perform better in some respects. But the Branson was heavier, more sturdily built, considerably less complicated and much more "industrial". If you are a light duty user, the TYM might be the ticket. If you really need a tractor, get the Branson.

In the end my neighbor with the TYM traded it in after about a year and a half because of repeated mechanical and electrical problems.

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820
I had an opportunity to compare in actual use my 4720 to a TYM 494 a few years back when my neighbor bought a TYM. We traded tractors for a day just for the heck of it. See this post; TYM T454 cab vs Branson 4720ch
The bottom line is that the TYM is cushier and has more eye appealing features in the show room and did perform better in some respects. But the Branson was heavier, more sturdily built, considerably less complicated and much more "industrial". If you are a light duty user, the TYM might be the ticket. If you really need a tractor, get the Branson.

In the end my neighbor with the TYM traded it in after about a year and a half because of repeated mechanical and electrical problems.
The draw to the Branson really is the lack of ECM engine control... I’m a member or a few brand specific forums, and daily there are posts about tractors being in limp mode, doing regens every 2 hours, etc.
I also hate that the TYM is really an RK tractor with a different motor (the 494 anyhow has the Kukje). Why? Because I drive by an RK regularly and the pink plastic hoods drive me nuts. Now, my tractor will be in an insulated pole barn... still. Maybe one day I’ll find a tractor to test drive... it’s just not that easy nowadays.

What did your neighbor replace it with?

/ TYM 494 or Branson 4820 #10  
The new 20 series have the ability to run manual regens if needed. One of a number of improvements over the last generation of 20/25 series like mine. But the data recorder now controls more features. Gutting the DPF causes an error light on the dash and unplugging the data recorder disables some dash features. No one's yet figured out how to make everything work with the DPF gutted or removed.

TYM's Kukje engined machines may still be using the non regenable version. Which would not be good if you're in a cold part of the country or will be idling a lot. But if you can operate them so they get hot enough often enough the old non regenable models work fine.

The regen uses a valve in the tailpipe to raise DPF temps. It's pretty obvious, so you should be able to tell when you see the machines in person.