Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions

/ Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions #11  
Reminds me of our TroyBilt Horse and when we had a garden. Breaking virgin ground can be tough. The wife was aching to try a pass or two. She grabbed the handle bars - pulled down - the Horse bucked - up - and took off across virgin ground. The wife hung on and was dragged about 80 feet before the tiller got balled up in some Buck brush.

I almost choked, I laughed so hard. The wife was less pleased. However - she did take her turns after the ground was initially broken.

I remember it well!
Still have my "Horse" sitting in the barn.
Am nearly 80 now.
Haven't used the Troy Bilt Horse for 15+ years.

/ Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions #12  
Once my dad bought a Deere 40 we were done using the 2 wheeled tractor. When I started driving the 40, I was too small to operate the clutch while sitting so I drove standing up. Cutting and splitting firewood gave us plenty of exercise so we didn't need the 2xT.

/ Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions #13  
I still have my father inlaws horse and I will not sell it.

/ Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions #14  
73 here and still fight 2-wheelers and Troy-built horses all the time. Prostate cancer surgery last Nov 24 has me down more than the tillers do! ---WAY smaller garden this year due to the surgery along with spinal degeneration that I have.
Gotta have a few veggies for us---just not the 5 acre give away we always do.

/ Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions #15  
I'm glad I decided on the 732 about 8 years ago. It is light, yet powerful enough to do all our gardening needs + pull a utility trailer around our acreage. A 26" flail mower is the greatest attachment - no more getting stabbed by thimble-berry canes :thumbsup:

An 853 came up for sale locally with several attachments, 'try before you buy' - I did and didn't buy, too heavy. I'm still waiting to see if he will sell the rotary plow separately.

Stay safe :drink:

/ Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions #16  
Ran my Grillo 107d yesterday for the 1st time this year.

Feeling it today a little bit, but I'm only 62.

/ Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions #17  
Must of the videos show people working a big garden going in a straight line. Very seldom they show people having to muscle the thing at the end to turn it around.

/ Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions #18  
At 64, I realized this year I am getting less fit, PT for the shoulder is showing how much. Just finished the larger garden with the rotary plow, flipping it at the row end is a good workout. My challenge is the flail mower. I use it on the steep stuff where I can't get the Kubota BX. Usually have to put the duals on, all the tires are foam filled and heavy. Now to get the nerve to order a new finish mower, the old one died a violent death, between rust and a sign post, and a 30 yr old son.

/ Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions #19  
Hi wstr75 :)

Although I'm "only" 62 years old like joecoin, I can easily identify with what you are saying in your post about exercise and sleeping well afterwards. Most of my lawn-mowing-sessions last 1-2 hours, involving around 3.2 km (2 miles) of walking behind my BCS 740. I expect a subsoiler to be a much tougher implement to work with, so after 2 hours of hard work with that implement, I exactly know how you feel :thumbsup:

Sadly life isn't always nice to us older guys ;)

In the 9 years that I have had my tractor, I have learned to stop "fighting" it as much as I did in the beginning. Of course you as the operator has to be in control, but instead of trying to correct every little diversion that the tractor tries to make, I try to take a looser grip on the handlebars now, and tries just to maintain the overall direction instead. This way I get a lot less tired and feel less sore, and as a little bonus, it makes me feel a little younger too ;)

Another experience that I have had, is to try to avoid reversing, selecting the PTO or changing gear, as much or as often as possible.

As I understand it, the gearbox of our BCS tractors is a relatively simple collar shift type gearbox without synchromesh. This means, that every time we try to select a gear or engage the PTO, the respective collar has to mesh with a gear wheel to engage. As there is always the risk that the two are not properly aligned, a quick gear or PTO engagement like in a synchromesh gearbox, is not always possible. I have also found it very difficult to change gear while driving, which means that I have to come to a complete stop every time first.

The reverse lever somehow, does not present the same problems. It will easily change to the opposite direction, but of course only when the tractor has come to a complete stop first. As our BCS tractors only have a single clutch, they sadly can't offer a "live" PTO. This means, that as soon as the clutch is disengaged in order to flip the reverse lever, engine power is not only interrupted to the wheels as needed, but also to the PTO. This is at best inconvenient when I'm removing snow with my sweeper or snow blower, but with high inertia implements like my lawn mower - and especially my flail mower - it often becomes a nuisance.

Due to all of the above, I always try to find a path when working with a given implement, that will give me the best "flow" with the least amount of gear changes, PTO engagements and changes of directions. This took a bit of practice at first, but it has been well worth it :thumbsup:

Best regards

Jens

/ Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions #20  
I'm also 67, and some tasks are definitely a workout. I have a 948 with the 34-in tiller box, and if it has the outer tine groups on, it's a beast to turn around. I usually use is with the the outer tines off (26-in), and it's not too bad. I did convert it to electric start which added more weight on the engine side, but my shoulders appreciate not having to pull start it. My 732 always started on 1-2 pulls (if it didn't start within 2, I forgot to turn the switch on) while the 948 often takes more. The switch isn't a problem with the 948 because it doesn't have one (actually it has the electric start one, but it's not one you're going to forget).