Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions

/ Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions #1  

wstr75

Gold Member
Most times when I operate my two wheel tractor I sleep well that night because I'm happy at getting a job done and quite tired, too, from managing a two-wheel beast. I also sometimes am quite sore the next day, too. My smart watch usually provides feedback validating I got a ton of exercise. Today I ran my BCS for two hours using the subsoiler implement pulling up landscape cloth with 20 years of mulch and roots. I am tired and my wrists and arms are letting me know it was a workout. Especially when backing up the beast up a rise and having to push down mightily against the handlebars. Of course, I'm 67 and not the physical specimen I once was, so that's a big part of the equation. Any of my fellow two wheel tractor owners have similar experiences?

/ Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions #2  
I feel that way sometimes, and I'm only 37. There are a few things that I know trigger it, and I find ways to mitigate it. What activities bother you?

/ Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions #3  
it seems it's fun to flip 2 wheel tractors, I don't know why though!.. many have done that though!.

/ Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions #4  
Reminds me of our TroyBilt Horse and when we had a garden. Breaking virgin ground can be tough. The wife was aching to try a pass or two. She grabbed the handle bars - pulled down - the Horse bucked - up - and took off across virgin ground. The wife hung on and was dragged about 80 feet before the tiller got balled up in some Buck brush.

I almost choked, I laughed so hard. The wife was less pleased. However - she did take her turns after the ground was initially broken.

/ Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions #6  
Yeah, I absolutely could not handle the Gravely 5665 until I got steering brakes on it. Then could do it with one finger on the steering bar.

Ralph

/ Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions #7  
I only own two-wheel tractors for the health benefits,,,

They would be long gone if it were not for the workout that I get,,
Heck, even changing from the rotary plow to a 30" mower can be a workout,,,

ejyyQFU.jpg

/ Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions #8  
Hey RalphVA, I actually purchased my 5665 near you a few years ago,,
I got it from the recycling center in Culpeper for $250, it had under 55 hours on it when I got it.

It came with the blade shown in this pic,,

r2353IF.jpg

Of course, it did not have the hand painted flames when I got it,,, :laughing:

Cleaning and painting this machine was a FULL month workout,, :eek:

/ Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions #9  
I'm actually recouperating today from helping a friend yesterday. I took my 720 down to his house to trench about 200 feet so he could bury an underground wire for his dog fence. I welded up a straight shank plow gizmo so that I could make a 4 to 5 inch trench. I used a 3/4" piece of pipe and bolted a used scarifier point onto it then welded the pipe to a piece of c channel. The whole gizmo fit into the transport wheel hole behind my tiller box. Worked like a charm. But dang if my rotator cuff isn't complaining today.

/ Two Wheel Tractor Physical Workout Sessions #10  
. . . when I operate my two wheel tractor . . . sometimes am quite sore the next day, too. Any of my fellow two wheel tractor owners have similar experiences?

It is the nature of the beast. Consider the machine as a lever, wheels or implement is the fulcrum, the handles are the long lever arm so the operator has to deal with the resultant force.
When I snowblow with the Goldoni I don't dress as warmly as I dress to snowblow with the (open station) Kubota.
Some of the tiredness is self-inflicted. If I mow up to a tree or boulder with the Goldoni I can A) disengage the motor clutch, shift to reverse (which also disengages the PTO), engage the clutch to back up, disengage the engine clutch, engage the PTO, shift to a forward gear, engage the clutch and continue mowing; or B) simultaneously disengage both steering clutches, manually pull the tractor backwards, release the steering clutches to continue mowing. I often choose B, which is quicker, but after 20 or so trees it's tiring.