Turbo vs Non-turbo

/ Turbo vs Non-turbo
From what i’ve found through searching around the hydraulics serve a controller that actuate mechanical springs to stop the wheels. Is that correct that there is a secondary mechanical braking system that works in conjunction with the self braking of the hydrostatic drive? Is this the case through all models of toolcats both with the live axles and independent suspension?

/ Turbo vs Non-turbo #12  
After seeing turbo leaks and associated DPF issues… I went NA

/ Turbo vs Non-turbo #13  
a good example turbo versus non turbo, the 2005 Toolcat was used for 5 years clearing snow on my driveway with the V plow, could only go in low speed and at full rpm and go pedal would bog down so had to reduce pedal, never stalled but worked hard and such rarely enough speed to throw snow off the side.

the 2020 model easily runs high speed, rarely the full rpm and does throw snow off the side easily, yesterday cleared snow 4 to 6 inches at 12mph, yes when I hit a drift it slowed but easily picked back up

realise there was a power difference between models but a good example how the turbl improved the power of the machine

on another note slid off the side and thank god for the traction, the old machine would have stopped in its tracks this one finally got out, in the ditch easily 2 to 3 heet of snow but slowly backed out in its tracks

/ Turbo vs Non-turbo #14  
From what I have read, the old solid axle models had a much rougher ride than the newer independent suspended ones.

/ Turbo vs Non-turbo #15  
yes the solid axles were a rough ride even with no load, the new inderpendent is a better ride though with a fill bucket both machnes would bottom out and ride the same

/ Turbo vs Non-turbo #17  
There is a replacement for displacement and it's called turbo psi.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Yes, you can pack more horsepower into fewer pistons, less displacement, less mass. Energy per piston can be greatly increased.
That’s also an increased amount of heat per piston that must be moved away. And this is better for engine longevity?

But how much does the engine gets babied, how much are you asking 100%? If babied, longevity may not be a noticeable difference.

Loosely related: Sometimes when sizing generators, the same engine-gen set might come in three different “sizes” (say 150, 200, 250 kva). But how can one generator set have three different hp and kva ratings? It came down to how hard is that motor and generator going to work and how often.
A standby generator, that might only run for a few hours or days a year, it’s a 250 kva generator. For an emergency standby, maybe it’s a 200 kva generator. For a primary 24hr/7days a week mining operation that’s off grid, maybe it’s a 150kva generator.

Turbo or not, at the end of the day it’s a judgement on how much do you want to get out of that engine, often at the trade of the longevity. If you want more power, by all means, add the turbo, or bigger turbo, and turn up the pump! That’s why I say there’s no replacement for displacement.

/ Turbo vs Non-turbo #18  
Yes, you can pack more horsepower into fewer pistons, less displacement, less mass. Energy per piston can be greatly increased.
That’s also an increased amount of heat per piston that must be moved away. And this is better for engine longevity?

But how much does the engine gets babied, how much are you asking 100%? If babied, longevity may not be a noticeable difference.

Loosely related: Sometimes when sizing generators, the same engine-gen set might come in three different “sizes” (say 150, 200, 250 kva). But how can one generator set have three different hp and kva ratings? It came down to how hard is that motor and generator going to work and how often.
A standby generator, that might only run for a few hours or days a year, it’s a 250 kva generator. For an emergency standby, maybe it’s a 200 kva generator. For a primary 24hr/7days a week mining operation that’s off grid, maybe it’s a 150kva generator.

Turbo or not, at the end of the day it’s a judgement on how much do you want to get out of that engine, often at the trade of the longevity. If you want more power, by all means, add the turbo, or bigger turbo, and turn up the pump! That’s why I say there’s no replacement for displacement.

I think the word your looking for is duty cycle.

Duty cycle is largely managing thermal cycling. Turns out common rail diesels love a higher thermal temperature to have complete combustion. It kind of solved the higher duty cycle needs all by it's self...