Truck winches

/ Truck winches
It's pretty easy to find a used mechanical winch around here.
Are you thinking about the 5500 or the IH for the winch?
I may stop at my buddy’s hydraulic shop and see if theres a way to utilize my PTO. I paid for the dang thing. Tend to think it will be very expensive to add a compact pump & tank and all the other things. Probably a lot more weight than a 125 electric winch, though.

I did not see a Mile Marker power steering pump winch in the load rating I was looking for (18K +)

Last edited:
   / Truck winches #83  
I figured out the power problem all together! No battery, hydraulic, or direct PTO drive. Mobile use for any vehicle, including mowers and bicycles!

View attachment 838204
If you had ever tried to use a chain fall outdoors in the mud and grass and trash, especially trying to use it in a horizontal position, dang what a cluster **** situation that deteriorates to in a hurry.

/ Truck winches #85  
If you had ever tried to use a chain fall outdoors in the mud and grass and trash, especially trying to use it in a horizontal position, dang what a cluster **** situation that deteriorates to in a hurry.
It was just a joke. But i have used one to pull out a crape myrtle stump for a neighbor of my parents. Had one end on my truck in the road and the other on the stump. I pulled for a while not getting anywhere, took a short rest and saw that I had pulled my truck sideways over the curb and into the yard.... oops.

/ Truck winches #86  
MileMarker makes 18,000# hydraulic winch.
12,000# hydraulic winch is the highest for use with power steering pump. Weight 98#. The power steering is about 5hp pump. Steering automatically has priority over winch in self recovery. Same type of hand control as an electric winch. Could be totally remote if needed.

Compared to PTO or hydraulic winches, electric are quite puny. Electric winches pull 2-3’ at capacity then need to cool 10 minutes. OK for self recovery but if doing tree work exasperating slow. Expensive if you have help standing around waiting on the winch. PPP One high value tree paid 2.5X what the winch and bumper cost.

Over twice the cost than 20+ years ago but so is everything else.

The tree surgeon company that bought my Smart Grapple skid steer attachment with hydraulic warn winch loves it. Got a contract to help county road department removing high hazard trees. Critical equipment for their type of work.

/ Truck winches #87  
MileMarker makes 18,000# hydraulic winch.
12,000# hydraulic winch is the highest for use with power steering pump. Weight 98#. The power steering is about 5hp pump. Steering automatically has priority over winch in self recovery. Same type of hand control as an electric winch. Could be totally remote if needed.

Compared to PTO or hydraulic winches, electric are quite puny. Electric winches pull 2-3’ at capacity then need to cool 10 minutes. OK for self recovery but if doing tree work exasperating slow. Expensive if you have help standing around waiting on the winch. PPP One high value tree paid 2.5X what the winch and bumper cost.

Over twice the cost than 20+ years ago but so is everything else.

The tree surgeon company that bought my Smart Grapple skid steer attachment with hydraulic warn winch loves it. Got a contract to help county road department removing high hazard trees. Critical equipment for their type of work.
Excellent info, and I'm not arguing with any of it, except to say that I have never needed to pause to cool my electric winch. I suppose that's because it's exceedingly rare to ever even approach full capacity of the winch for any extended period of time, they're operating way below that the majority of the time.

I have my electric winch mounted to the front of a tandem-axle trailer, and use it for skidding logs onto the trailer. I usually try to get the trailer within 20 feet of the load, so I'm only pulling 20 feet + trailer length = 35 feet total, times 6 - 10 logs per trip. But sometimes obstacles dictate pulls of 100 feet or more, times 6 - 10 logs, and the winch has never been my limiting factor. Batteries are occasionally an issue, even with two big deep-cycles constantly charging from the truck, but never the winch!

/ Truck winches #88  
1702654666606.png

/ Truck winches #89  
I may stop at my buddy’s hydraulic shop and see if theres a way to utilize my PTO. I paid for the dang thing. Tend to think it will be very expensive to add a compact pump & tank and all the other things. Probably a lot more weight than a 125 electric winch, though.

I did not see a Mile Marker power steering pump winch in the load rating I was looking for (18K +)
I agree with the components. Heck there's a good bit of work finding a mounting spot for a small reservoir and a pair of control cables for engagement of the pto and a valve. This may be handled electrically but that all adds to the costs.
Maybe a designated pair of batteries and an isolator would be cheaper and just go electric winch knowing the limits during extreme use. 🤔
I always dreamed of a "wet kit" on my f450 (when I was setting up the pto dump) with a pair of outlets front and rear for a hydraulic "fun"!

/ Truck winches #90  
That's a lot cheaper than what I spent on my warm zeon 10k.

450+ amp draw is huge though.

[I read first 4 pages of the thread]

I just got a HF 12k winch; apparently it'll pull over 400A. I'd imagine a 20k winch will pull more, unless it's going that much slower.

I plumbed mine with 2/0 pure copper to the front & back of my truck (particularly since the rear of the truck is 25' of wire away from the batteries; the wire alone cost 1/2 as much as the winch).
The winch can connect at either end of the truck using Anderson connectors; I replaced the winch-end wire with my coincidentally perfect length leftover pieces of wire (I'd bought 30' of wire for my CC LB truck, some goes from battery to front bumper, more from battery to rear bumper, and a final little bit from winch electric terminals to an Anderson connector; pics available).

@Hay Dude consider a hydraulic winch that's plumbed through the power steering. For a long time I had thoughts of going that route. Hydraulic winches have a much higher duty cycle than electric - most electric winches have a 5-10% duty cycle as they're just for getting you a little ways; the only downside is you can't winch with a dead engine, but that's got to be one of the more esoteric needs (example - mile marker).