Tree climbing gear

/ Tree climbing gear #31  
I had to go back and reread the original post. He's asking for equipment advice. Nothing indicated him wanting talked out of it. Or alternatives to him doing it.

I applaud his youthful vigor. Hopefully those with climbing experience will continue to suggest things that will guide him toward success.

I'll be very disappointed if we don't see pictures of the work!!! 👍

/ Tree climbing gear #32  
In my climbing prime, I was 220 lbs. I knew guys heavier than that the climb.

I'm 240 now and could still do it easily.
I climbed into my 220 pound range, now in the 180 range. If you are 240 and can still do it, good for you but I'm guessing you are a bit younger than I am. :) Have you ever raced 150 pounder in prime condition in your prime up some old growth? If so you'd understand what I mean by that. It's also a young mans game.

/ Tree climbing gear #33  
I climbed into my 220 pound range, now in the 180 range. If you are 240 and can still do it, good for you but I'm guessing you are a bit younger than I am. :) Have you ever raced 150 pounder in prime condition in your prime up some old growth? If so you'd understand what I mean by that. It's also a young mans game.
I'm 52. Never did old growth. This is east coast. Hardwoods mostly. Different ball game. I've put a few smaller and younger guys to shame but that was on them for running off at the mouth. I'm sure there are plenty faster. There are a lot of variables involved. Rope skill, experience, geometry, physics. I've had my share of phone calls with someone begging me to bail them out after they bit off more than they could chew.

/ Tree climbing gear #34  
I had to go back and reread the original post. He's asking for equipment advice. Nothing indicated him wanting talked out of it. Or alternatives to him doing it.

I applaud his youthful vigor. Hopefully those with climbing experience will continue to suggest things that will guide him toward success.

I'll be very disappointed if we don't see pictures of the work!!! 👍
If he doesn't have experience, I'm going to try and talk him out of it. If he continues, that's on him.

Seen too many sad days in the tree industry. It's usually pretty gruesome or pretty dead.

/ Tree climbing gear #35  
If he doesn't have experience, I'm going to try and talk him out of it. If he continues, that's on him.

Seen too many sad days in the tree industry. It's usually pretty gruesome or pretty dead.
I understand. I'll only ask, did you have experience when you started?

/ Tree climbing gear #36  
I understand. I'll only ask, did you have experience when you started?
While I see where you're going with that, and can agree that if someone wants to learn how to do something, by all means, they should, he needs to get with some experienced person to learn, and have some experienced person there while he attempts the various techniques that are going to be involved. It's not something anyone should ever do by themselves without a trained partner and emergency plan.

Working on a whitewater course with various rope techniques and the power of moving water taught me this at an early age. It's been reinforced through my current employer's training programs for fall prevention.

While I'd guess any of us could watch videos and practice in our back yards, it's just not something I'd suggest anyone do without adequate backup. ;)

/ Tree climbing gear #37  
I'm 52. Never did old growth. This is east coast. Hardwoods mostly. Different ball game. I've put a few smaller and younger guys to shame but that was on them for running off at the mouth. I'm sure there are plenty faster. There are a lot of variables involved. Rope skill, experience, geometry, physics. I've had my share of phone calls with someone begging me to bail them out after they bit off more than they could chew.
:) Pushing 60 now. That was always fun. How I got into it was running my mouth with the FIL. I was put in my place pretty fast, but I learned how to do it properly. A lot of skill goes into climbing damn near any tree no matter the type. For now I'll stick with safer things like learning to Bull ride, breaking bronc's and calf catching. All of which has been a circus side show for family. So far only an injured elbow from a flying calf.
But for the OP, don't cheap out on your equipment!