Tree climbing gear

/ Tree climbing gear #11  
Sounds scary to me. I've seen those guys doing it and they make it look easy, but I know for a fact it is not.

Be careful!

Lots of good (and surprisingly positive) advice so far. Good luck!

/ Tree climbing gear #12  
Man, rent a lift if it's only once or twice a year. Climbing with experience is hard enough. Climbing with no experience is bad juju. It just takes once for you to get above your rope and you'll flip over and be hanging there with your head down wondering how you're gonna get out of that.

We have been through fall restraint training at my employer annually, as we do a lot of work on roofs. Even with the harness, if you fall and are uninjured, you only have about 20 minutes before your blood gets trapped in your legs due to the straps, and you pass out. It's called suspension trauma.

We have roofs that they tell us it'll take the fire department over half an hour to access, so they give us trauma straps. These are on the sides of the harness, and you can deploy them. They hang down and you can slip your feet into them and stand up, which puts your body weight on your feet, instead of the straps around your legs and groin.

Anyhow, seriously think about it and get some professional training if you plan on doing it. Have ground assistants that can call for help. And have a rescue plan.

Good luck in your decision making process. I know we all like to be self sufficient, but sometimes it's not the best decision. ;)
Very good advise, Please take it! Professional training is offered by WESPUR in Washington State. In my opinion, this is not a read a book and then DIY project. Training should be hands on. YMMV.

In the 70's I had the experince of a lifetime falling from 60 feet above ground, safety harness was tied off properly. Even with training and proper equipment stuff still happens. When I hit the end of the rope it knocked the wind out of me and I couldn't breath for a couple of minutes, helpless hanging there in the air. If I had been working alone I probably would not have survived. The forces envolved with hitting the end of the rope can be (are) in the thousands of pounds.

Fall restraint training is a must, it helps you undertand the consequences if something does go wrong.
Don't know what your experience with the subject matter is, but I hope you have someone to help guide you through the basics before you climb.

Dean

/ Tree climbing gear
This is a JLG T-350 battery powered self leveling lift on a trailer. Bought from Home Depot. needed a new hydraulic hose. I bought it for raising & servicing windmills, but the use as a tree trimming really took off. Flag poles fixed, weathervane & cupola installation, cleaning grape vines out of pine trees, hang holiday lights,... Lots of uses. You can remove the bucket and install a jib crane (made it myself). This trailer goes up 35'. A 50' version is also available worldwide. I like the battery version because you don't have to yell at the person on the ground over the engine exhaust sounds, added benefit by the battery chain saw I now use with it.
These lifts are made by several companies, some of which I rented before I bought the JLG. On the others, it might take 1/2 hour to level the darn things by yourself. On mine you hold the safety switch up and the leg extension lever up and it rocks & rolls for maybe 5 seconds until bubble level.
As for tree trimming, your 'ladder' is far away from your saw and you are generally positioned above the cut, so any bucking branches dropping down won't threaten your escape route. Be prepared for the neighborhood free rental requests for roofing, house painting, gutter repair, security light-bulb replacement at the malls,View attachment 775243
Nice!

/ Tree climbing gear #14  
Personally If I have need to have climbing done once or twice a year I find it easier to just hire someone for a day or two....

/ Tree climbing gear #15  
I used to be a climber. For a living. It's not something you just do. It takes time and you have to build your body up to it. I was in great shape with a lot of stamina and it still made me work for it. Get The Tree Climbers Companion and read it multiple times.

I HIGHLY recommend you hire a climber to teach you. It's a whole nother ball game up there. It's not worth getting hurt or killed.

/ Tree climbing gear #16  
I used to be a climber. For a living. It's not something you just do. It takes time and you have to build your body up to it. I was in great shape with a lot of stamina and it still made me work for it. Get The Tree Climbers Companion and read it multiple times.

I HIGHLY recommend you hire a climber to teach you. It's a whole nother ball game up there. It's not worth getting hurt or killed.
Some advice, spend money on good gear that's as comfortable as possible. If you buy cheap, you WILL be in pain and you'll only concentrate on getting down and not on doing the job safely. This starts with good boots. Preferably with dual shanks and a heel. I like Hoffman or Wesco. Second a good saddle, trust me on this. Pinching hurts, especially when your weight is causing most of it. Light spurs are nice if the pads are more important. I highly recommend Buckingham velcro wraps WITH the steel inserts or Geckos. If you skimp here, you'll regret it almost immediately.

Steel core flip line.
ALWAYS tie in twice. Flip line and rope. Falling sucks, trust me, I know from experience!
**** - tie in twice stupid
KISS - keep it simple stupid

Rule #1 NEVER climb alone!

/ Tree climbing gear #17  
Some advice, spend money on good gear that's as comfortable as possible. If you buy cheap, you WILL be in pain and you'll only concentrate on getting down and not on doing the job safely. This starts with good boots. Preferably with dual shanks and a heel. I like Hoffman or Wesco. Second a good saddle, trust me on this. Pinching hurts, especially when your weight is causing most of it. Light spurs are nice if the pads are more important. I highly recommend Buckingham velcro wraps WITH the steel inserts or Geckos. If you skimp here, you'll regret it almost immediately.

Steel core flip line.
ALWAYS tie in twice. Flip line and rope. Falling sucks, trust me, I know from experience!
**** - tie in twice stupid
KISS - keep it simple stupid

Rule #1 NEVER climb alone!
Can you put a ballpark price on enough essential gear to get started safely?

/ Tree climbing gear #18  
Hi,

I climbed a tree recently to 20 feet, somewhat unprofessionally I regret to admit, but what I can suggest is that a battery powered chainsaw is awesome. Mine was AUD $300 (US$200) , has a 30cm (12") blade and I dropped two 40 cm (16") limbs with ease. Not having to start a petrol saw, their light weight and reduced ability to kick makes them a real benefit when you're in a tree.

/ Tree climbing gear #19  
My son in-law has some good footage . Some of his videos are kind of funny but a great Arborist .