Trailer painting

/ Trailer painting #42  
For something like that with surface rust I use a bucket of soapy water and a scrub brush, then when that dries I brush on Rust-Oleum professional oil base rusty metal primer. You can buy it at home Depot for pretty cheap by the gallon and it goes on pretty thick. I give it several days to dry, then paint over it with one of the Rust-Oleum professional oil base paints and give it a few more days to dry. I've done a lot of implements and a tractor with this procedure and it holds up really well for years and I don't have to go through all the work of completely removing all the rust as the rusty metal primer neutralizes it. I've also shot this with an HVLP gun thinned with acetone -works great. I believe it's an alkyd enamel just like tractor paint.
The trick is making sure you wait the several days for each stage to harden up
1678986172174.png

/ Trailer painting #43  
I like the color of the wood stain. Looks really nice.

/ Trailer painting #44  
Learn the magic of OSPHO liquid. You still need to protect your eyes & skin. Will leave the metal ready to wipe the dust/powder away, then paint to your heart's content. Any auto paint store should have it as well as Lowes or Home Depot

/ Trailer painting
Great work. Would you tell us the cost of the wood for the new deck?
My 18' needs one.
$332 with tax got me 11 2x8x16' boards and 11 2x8x8 boards.

The 2x8 boards got cut down to 3' for the dove, and the remaining 5' is up front. Which is how the original deck was.

The original deck wasn't too bad at only 8 years old.....

But going to this much trouble and wanting it nice....$332 is like 5% of what I have in the trailer as it sits now

/ Trailer painting #47  
I painted a 88 toyota truck, which is know for rusting, with PPG epoxy primer and paint in 2012. I did not like the way it's held up. The truck is needing another paint job this spring. I will be going with the old tried and true, High build primer with top coat of paint.

I don't know anymore. Everything you read on epoxy primer sounds fantastic. Maybe those people just live outside the states that use salt. Anyways, outside of a galvanize dip...I don't know what to use.

/ Trailer painting #48  
It's complete and ready for the road

View attachment 788744
Since you did it recently and I have never done it, how do the boards screw down to the metal frame? I have some that are damaged. Do you just use self tapping metal screws? Pre-drill? I saw the holes in the “joists” in your original pictures. Set the boards and drill up from below?

thanks for your advice!

/ Trailer painting #49  
Since you did it recently and I have never done it, how do the boards screw down to the metal frame? I have some that are damaged. Do you just use self tapping metal screws? Pre-drill? I saw the holes in the “joists” in your original pictures. Set the boards and drill up from below?

thanks for your advice!
I used these when I did my trailer, have to predrill & they cut there own threads.

/ Trailer painting #50  
Learn the magic of OSPHO liquid. You still need to protect your eyes & skin. Will leave the metal ready to wipe the dust/powder away, then paint to your heart's content. Any auto paint store should have it as well as Lowes or Home Depot
And Ace..