Trailer painting

/ Trailer painting
Since you did it recently and I have never done it, how do the boards screw down to the metal frame? I have some that are damaged. Do you just use self tapping metal screws? Pre-drill? I saw the holes in the “joists” in your original pictures. Set the boards and drill up from below?

thanks for your advice!
There are a various assortment of trailer decking screws ranging from #12, 1/4" and 5/16. Some self drilling....some just self threading that require only a pilot hole. T-30, T-40, or #3 phillips head.

Some are ACQ rated, some just plain oiled black.

Dont know that one is any better than the next. Because I have NEVER been able to successfully remove any type of screw after enough time has passed that the deck needs redone. They usually all just snap.

/ Trailer painting #52  
$332 with tax got me 11 2x8x16' boards and 11 2x8x8 boards.

The 2x8 boards got cut down to 3' for the dove, and the remaining 5' is up front. Which is how the original deck was.

The original deck wasn't too bad at only 8 years old.....

But going to this much trouble and wanting it nice....$332 is like 5% of what I have in the trailer as it sits now
Were those SYP? PT?
Thanks

/ Trailer painting
Were those SYP? PT?
Thanks
Yes. Local amish lumber store that probably sells and moves more building material than the lowes or menards in my area.

They supply ALOT of polebarn contractors and house builders in the area.

Their prices are usually a tad bit better than menards 11% rebated prices.

The 2x8x16 boards were $18.95ea and the 2x8x8 were $9.25ea

Does your trailer have a dovetail? If it does and you can keep lumber under 16' it keeps cost down. But even if not, I'd consider 18' lumber.

I would have loved to NOT have the seam at the 5' mark. Really wish the trailer was a 20+4 instead of a 21+3. Because It seems they dont make 22' lumber......and 20' is too short. But I "could" have gotten 24' lumber and not had a seam. But 2x8x24' boards were about $100ea. And I wasnt gonna spend $1100 to deck the trailer. I'll deal with the seam

/ Trailer painting #54  
I'm gonna add about my trailer. I was in high school rising around with my friend in a 65 Chevy truck. Windows down, heard a loud boom. Turns out a welder was nearby and a tank blew up. It blew his stomach open. He died on way to hospital.

Years later I thought I saw a corner of a trailer sticking out of a bunch of overgrown. Finally caught someone there and bought it. It was built by that welder. Was at his shop, complete except for paint and a floor. They took it home and used it to move hay. Never had a floor on it. I never put a floor on it either. It's a flat bed over the wheels. I've hauled 32' pipe, trusses, bundles of lumber, has a deck I bought sitting on it as I type. Been kinda handy without a floor. I came across a 12' x 24' deck with roof and hand rails, all treated, for 135 dollars. Got the cinder blocks too. Try buying all that at the store. Plus, it is already built nicely. Plan on making a nice back porch with it. I looked like a parade float going down the road. Took a picture and sent it to momma, saying I was headed to the Mardi gras parade in Shreveport. But, I've never been.