Snow Tractor won’t start tonight.

/ Tractor won’t start tonight. #51  
2016 2555HST Cab.

I plowed snow for about 2 hours this morning with no issues. When I was finished, I locked the brakes and after I turned her off, I topped the fuel up (from 3/4 to all the way full).

I came back to her about 5 hours later and now she won’t even turn over!

I have 12.9 volts at the battery, and about the same at the starter. I put a JumpPack on the battery and still won’t turn over.

All the lights, radio, and heater blower work just fine.

I pulled every fuse I could find and they were all good.

It has been about 16 degrees here but she started this morning.

Any suggestions or troubleshooting is appreciated!!!
2016 2555HST Cab.

I plowed snow for about 2 hours this morning with no issues. When I was finished, I locked the brakes and after I turned her off, I topped the fuel up (from 3/4 to all the way full).

I have 12.9 volts at the battery, and about the same at the starter. I put a JumpPack on the battery and still won’t turn over.

Try Connecting your jumpPack directly to the starter motor to eliminate a faulty starter. Make sure of polarity

/ Tractor won’t start tonight. #52  
you keep repeating "she and her"..you need a man's snow plow in really bad weather..a 'HE AND HIM" snow blower will start and run no matter what the weather is.....
A he/him snowblower tends to shrink in cold weather. It's a common issue.

Last edited:
   / Tractor won’t start tonight. #53  
Something similar happened with my Boomer 24 this fall. It quit on me out in the woods. Futzed with every pedal, handle and fuse I could find. Dealer wound up finding the HST interlock switch mount had broken so the switch wouldn't make. From what they told me it was difficult to even get to the switch.

/ Tractor won’t start tonight. #54  
2016 2555HST Cab.

I have a Century (now Branson) and it requires to not be in gear and shuttle in neutral in order to start. I once bumped the shift lever and it would not start until I realized that I had bumped the shift lever.

/ Tractor won’t start tonight. #55  
>Clutch (some HST machines have a clutch)

Yeah, mine does. Mahindra 1626 HST. I suppose it's another way to ensure somebody is sitting in the driver's seat.

/ Tractor won’t start tonight. #56  
2016 2555HST Cab.

Do you know if it has a Denso starter? It’s very common for this to lock up. And when it does, the starter makes no sound besides the scratching you make on your head. My dealer/service department gave me a simple fix - lightly tap the back with a standard hammer.

/ Tractor won’t start tonight. #57  
Not sure if these are unrelated issues.
I'm not familiar with your hydraulic system, but I would think it's at least possible that something in the hydraulics may have been frozen shut causing the motor to not turn over and then when it did the pressure in the radiator blew it out.
I would at least investigate that possibility and how to fix it to avoid this happening again

/ Tractor won’t start tonight. #58  
2016 2555HST Cab.

I had the same thing happen with my 2320. I even checked the battery voltage and it was fine. However, I noticed some white powder around the terminals and that was enough to prevent adequate juice to start the tractor. After I cleaned and greased the terminals, it started right up. I was about to go purchase a new battery.

/ Tractor won’t start tonight. #59  
I have a Mahindra, too, but an older model. It doesn't really matter, because what I'm about to say will be so simple a child could do it.

Get you a pushbutton, normally open, switch and enough lamp cord to reach from the battery terminal of the starter to your seat, so you can operate it from there. Your local hardware store or building supply store should have these. A doorbell switch is fine. Connect the switch between the two wires on one end. Strip one wire at the other end, loosen the battery terminal nut of the starter, and put this wire under it. Tighten the nut. Strip the end of the other wire and connect it similarly to the switch terminal of the starter. That's the little terminal.

If you have a separate starter relay like the big ones they used to put on automobiles, your switch wire may go to that instead. If so, connect this last wire there.

Now, you have bypassed the ignition switch and ALL safety switches, so make doggone SURE you are in neutral before you push the button! If it starts and runs, you can leave this in place until you are ready to troubleshoot the problem. Just ALWAYS make sure you are in neutral before you push the button! My dad got run over by his tractor for standing beside it and THINKING it was in neutral. He lived.

If you want to get fancy and leave this in place long term, you might want to buy appropriately sized wire terminals for the starter end of this cable and mount the switch. It's your choice.

If it doesn't start like this, loosen and re-tighten your ground connection to the block and at least one of your starter bolts. You've already cleaned your battery clamps when you changed batteries. If it still doesn't start, push and hold the button, and have someone tap the starter solenoid or relay or both with a small ball pein hammer. If you can't get a hammer in there to it, put an extension or drift pin or something similar against it and tap on that. Something may be stuck or dragging inside the solenoid or starter or in the relay.

/ Tractor won’t start tonight. #60  
Try holding the key or button to start position while moving and checking for switches.