Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #41  
What’s your budget

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs
What’s your budget
Haven't determined that yet, but $30-40k is probably the range I'd be comfortable with. I'd be more inclined to pay more for a TLB that has more versatility and can replace my tractor.

Based on my size restrictions I think I just need to come to terms with not being able to lift anything I want to.

Something like this seems great, but not at that price.
https://www.machinerytrader.com/listing/for-sale/31899697/2019-giant-4548-tendo-telehandlers-lifts

Bobcat T450 or T550 seems to be a reasonable size with decent capacity. CTLs seem to have better weight to capacity ratio than wheeled machines and although more expensive would also be better in a field or woods where we pull the logs.

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #43  
Weight out from lift pin makes a big difference in lift capacity. Heavy logs I can’t lift to load with forks I can grip with grapple from the top and lift. Grapple is more than twice the weight of the forks. But grabbing from top, the center of gravity of the log is closer to the tractor. Fortunately don’t happen too often.

Sounds like the L47 would be hard to beat given your weight requirements.

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #44  
Yeah tracks are better, but eventually the skid steers bottom out. They have lower ground clearance.
It would be a fun contest to see if my 135HP Challenger @15,000lbs with Ag tires and both axles locked could push more across mud than a tracked skid steer. I think the weight of the tractor would really help. If the mud was 12” deep or more, I’d lean tractor. ;)
that's what my bobcat weighs when it has the bucket on it

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #45  
Yeah tracks are better, but eventually the skid steers bottom out. They have lower ground clearance.
It would be a fun contest to see if my 135HP Challenger @15,000lbs with Ag tires and both axles locked could push more across mud than a tracked skid steer. I think the weight of the tractor would really help. If the mud was 12” deep or more, I’d lean tractor. ;)

If you want to compare in that size class bringing a real track loader with steel tracks is only fair. A smaller rubber track loader would loose that contest but for all around dirt moving the compact track loader would win hands down. It’s got similar lifting abilities, far superior visibility of what the bucket is doing and it could fit in your footprint 3 times.

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #46  
OP, when comparing spec sheets for lifting at ground level, and breakout forces, one of the reasons that this will be difficult to do is that SS and tractor loaders use different geometry for lifting. Independent of whether the cylinders are larger, you can see in SS geometry that the load stays close to level, even as the load is lifted. That is not true with a tractor. If you did not curl forward as you lifted, your load would be facing nearly vertical on many tractor loaders at full height, and the longer the arc would be that the load needed to travel. So the longer the load gets (i.e. pallets vs loaded bucket), the more the tractor capacity will drop, because the load needs to travel further to complete the lifting arc. So that's why there's some examples of the Kubota SS lifting a pallet when a comparable (on paper) kubota TLB won't do it. It's more complicated than hooking a gauge to the lift pins at ground level and reading what it says. In the real world you generally lift forward of the lift pins, and the further forward you go, the lower your capacity will be. This is more pronounced with tractor geometry.

Regardless of all that - I would look more at overall operating weight and use cases. My neighbor has a New Holland LX665 that I borrow sometimes, and I have a 50 HP tractor that weighs about the same. The lift for a bucket full of material is probably about the same. My tractor when I have heavy counterweight is much more stable, especially over rough terrain. I can get out of the tractor safely with a suspended load. The tractor is less maneuverable, and you can't see the bucket edge. The SS is better at grading both due to visibility and to lift arm stops. I can run a mower on my tractor at the same time I have a grapple attached. The SS has terrible ground clearance and is prone to getting stuck in the mud. The SS is shorter and can be moved on a smaller trailer. The tractor does 13 MPH on the road, where the SS probably does about 5. I can pull a trailer with my tractor. As has been said, implements are cheaper with the tractor.

There are a lot of areas of overlap, but a lot of differences also. For my uses, I greatly prefer the tractor. If I was working in the dirt all the time, I'd probably have a SS. For material handling that you need to get out of the machine with a suspended load, as others have said - the only SS that you can do that safely is a volvo or JCB. Don't get out of a SS under a suspended load.

Good post, but don’t forget that there are both vertical lift and radial lift machines. My old wheeled Deere skid steer was a vert lift machine, and my curr Case CTL is radial lift.
After using both, I would look fo vertical lift if I ever had to replace the radial CTL.

I would strongly consider the side entrance JBC.

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #47  
Good post, but don’t forget that there are both vertical lift and radial lift machines. My old wheeled Deere skid steer was a vert lift machine, and my curr Case CTL is radial lift.
After using both, I would look fo vertical lift if I ever had to replace the radial CTL.

I’m considering buying a JCB teleskid. I could benefit from the increased reach but not enough to justify a telhandler and the side entry would be nice.

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #48  
I don't follow what you're saying. If both have the same breakout force how will the SSV crush the L47 when lifting something a few feet off the ground. I understand skid steers are built heavier, but I'm not talking about that.
I just got off a skid steer. So a skid steer is way stronger than a 100 horse 4x4 tractor. We have both here. The tractor bush hogs a pasture better, but that's about it. Skid steer will walk around with a 3500 lb log all day. See, a grapple gets it closer, lifts more. I've moved heavies driving on tip toes of tracks. Way way more than any tractor. 9 days straight every day on the skid steer. Finished yesterday, off today. Cleaning out chicken houses.

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #49  

Jbc and Volvo had single booms. All that crap on the bucket mechanism wore out cockeyed sideways. I worked for JBC as a field service mechanic. If anybody knows, I do.

/ Tractor vs Skid Steer Loader Specs #50