Tractor decision

/ Tractor decision #42  
Unroll and spread those bad boys! Get the nutrients back in the ground and reseed your stand.
Just make sure they don’t smother the grass!

/ Tractor decision
Order your tractor with cast rims and cast wheel weights. Do it like a pro and you’ll put more HP into the drive wheels, where you’ll get more HP to the dirt.
The LS dealer fills the tires for free.

/ Tractor decision #44  
The LS dealer fills the tires for free.
Yes, I’m sure they do and this has been a long debated discussion (filled tires versus cast weights).
I would skip the filled tires and go with weights.

/ Tractor decision #45  
I think driveway maintenance (1400 feet) grapple work clearing trails in woods, and brush hogging is where I will be spending time. only time will tell. House expected to be done Nov. 24, and I’m hoping to buy the tractor beforehand and store in garage( having 8 foot doors on garage). Eventually I am putting up pole barn for tractor, toys and woods shop.

That’s kind of a specific date that a builder thinks your house will be done in about 11 months on November 24th.

/ Tractor decision #48  
Good point. I guessing I may be a combination of a little of each you mentioned. I am trying to make the right decision so I don’t have to ever purchase another tractor.
Hey Barry:
I believe you are on the right track with the LS MT347. For what you are planning on doing, that size seems like a good fit.
Since you have time before your house is done, fully check out the competitors such as TYM, Bobcat, Kioti. None of them are fly-by-night or sold out of the local gas station, as mentioned earlier.
When I was considering Kioti, I watched every YouTube video I could find and searched the forums to see what that brand was about. Of course, you will need to filter the chaff out, such as the guys breaking their tractor while doing something they shouldn't have been doing and then blaming the tractor.

HeyDude does have a point about cast iron weights vs filling, but not sure how to go about finding them. I have filled the tires on my tractors.
I would buy new. I used to be a big proponent of buying used, but as I've gotten older (thankfully ;) ), I lean towards new now. I don't want to fix someone else's problems that they pawned off on me. Also, the new cabs are a step above what they used to be in terms of fit, finish, and visibility.

Keep us posted.

/ Tractor decision
Couple questions first:
1, what are you going to be doing in the 35 wooded acres? A cab may be a problem.

2, what are you doing with the 15 acres of pasture? Cattle? you plan to feed round bales?

3, is the driveway hired out, and you just maintaining once build?

4, what impliments do you think you need/want?

5, what's the budget like?

6, terrian and climate? We talking flat lands, mountains, swampy areas, creeks that need crossed, slopes?
Couple questions first:
1, what are you going to be doing in the 35 wooded acres? A cab may be a problem.

2, what are you doing with the 15 acres of pasture? Cattle? you plan to feed round bales?

3, is the driveway hired out, and you just maintaining once build?

4, what impliments do you think you need/want?

5, what's the budget like?

6, terrian and climate? We talking flat lands, mountains, swampy areas, creeks that need crossed, slopes?

7, what's your storage look like?

8, you said plow; you mean a 2 or 3 bottom turn plow or are you talking snow plow? If it's a real plow, your gonna want ag or Maybe R-14 tires, not R-3 or R-4s. If snow, got to talk to someone else, haven't seen the stuff in going on 30 years

7, what's your storage look like?

8, you said plow; you mean a 2 or 3 bottom turn plow or are you talking snow plow? If it's a real plow, your gonna want ag or Maybe R-14 tires, not R-3 or R-4s. If snow, got to talk to someone else, haven't seen the stuff in going on 30 years
I understand the caution with cab in woods, but want ac/heat.
the 15 acres may do some small plots , garden. Driveway will be maintained only, plow for snow with 3rd function.
Implements: snow plow, grapple, brushhog, box blade, pallet forks, bucket.
Budget about 55k.
Terrain, slight rolling hills, north western Pa climate, occasional big snow accumulations.
Storage for now , garage until outbuilding can be built.
Plow for snow removal driveway(1400 feet).

/ Tractor decision #50  
I would say you've set a pretty realistic budget and machine set for your needs. I would probably pick R-14s for what you discribe (if available). Don't know the pricing on hydralic pivot snow plow, but seems like you left about $12k over tractor price for 3rd function, and impliments, which seems sufficient.

If you can find a used 6-7 ft box blade, it's probably $500 vs $1500 new; but they don't really wear out (heavy use does wear the cutting edges, but most will never see enough use to get to that point).

Make sure you measure the cab height for that garage door, as in the machine set up you actually want to buy, not a BS spec from online, as tire sizes will affect that.

On pricing; check your local rules; but you shouldn't have to pay sales tax for ag equipment.

Discs, turn plows, bale spears, ect are readily available in the used market. Bushhogs are too, but you want to make sure they have the pto shaft, gear box is good, ect; and as a first time operator, maybe better to buy that new with the tractor.

Check out the cab visibility to see the bucket corners too; it's not gonna be on a spec sheet, but will really affect the user experience.