Traction Technique?

/ Traction Technique? #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
This is only my second year with a tractor...learned a lot...mostly you guys have given me an additional few years of fast track learning.

Question: I was a bit dispointed when my 4720 Cab Hydro Trans. with R4s could not make it up a small knoll/hill in about 6inchs of snow. Thinking about it, I thought...okay...I had it in "B" and about 2,000 rpms and the front tires spun and back tires did nothing...peddle to metal and it just sat there! What if I put it in "A" and cranked up the rpms more...would that have given the back tires more pull that would have got me up the hill?

/ Traction Technique? #2  
This is only my second year with a tractor...learned a lot...mostly you guys have given me an additional few years of fast track learning.

Question: I was a bit dispointed when my 4720 Cab Hydro Trans. with R4s could not make it up a small knoll/hill in about 6inchs of snow. Thinking about it, I thought...okay...I had it in "B" and about 2,000 rpms and the front tires spun and back tires did nothing...peddle to metal and it just sat there! What if I put it in "A" and cranked up the rpms more...would that have given the back tires more pull that would have got me up the hill?

Huh? rear tires did nothing? at least one of them should have been rotating also. yes go to low range, but dont "put the pedal to the metal." ease your way back up. and use your differential lock. or watch your rear tires and if one is spinning and the other is standing still, press very lightly on the split brake on the side that is spinning. I have rarely seen any good come of trying high speed spinning when you are stuck.. you should also try to put your loader edge down and curl to push your self backwards while holding down the differential lock and slowly applying they hydro pedal . do not hit it hard, especially when engageing the differential lock.. easy does it.. you can sometime rock your front tires side to side and get a different bite.. use finess not brute force..
James K0UA

/ Traction Technique? #3  
I have a DK40 HST and also experienced poor traction on gravel drive. I have tried the dif lock and make it to the top of the drive eventually. A trick that works for me is to curl the cutting edge of my plow down and turn up some of the stone as I travel back down the drive. This gives me a little traction for my next pass. I have loaded R4s and am a little concerned at the lack of grip. This is my first winter with my tractor so I am still learning. Still lots of fun.

/ Traction Technique? #4  
Do none of you folks run chains?

/ Traction Technique? #5  
If you didn't get some momentum behind you going up a hill with snow or ice on it and you were in Med. it sounds like you just didn't have the power that you needed . If you were in low with a good steady speed with your differential locked in then you might have made it.
R4's are a good all around tire ,(nothing like Ag's in the snow) but without chain's on the rear ( some use them on front too)in snow or ice you can loss traction pretty quick . I don't think by giving it any more rpm's would have helped much if at all. Most of the time when you start spinning going up hill it's time to back'er down and get a little run at it .
Don't be dispointed at all ,most tractors trying to do that same thing at a stand still would have a hard time as well if they didn't have it in low 4x4 or Ag's or chain's or weight of some sort of another . A set of chain's does wonders. :2cents:

/ Traction Technique? #6  
Welcome to the world of plowing with a tractor. I had a 4520 (the same size as yours). It was, without doubt, the worst piece of snowmoving equipment I have ever owned, despite the fact it was a great tractor otherwise. These machines are very heavy and have high horsepower and R4 tires in your case. This is the triple threat for snow removal. My opinion, without getting into specifics, is that you will need chains. They make all the difference and allow the power and weight of the machine to get to the pavement (or gravel). With chains, you will turn your wet rag into a solid snow removal machine. Without them, more of the same will occur.

John M

/ Traction Technique? #7  
I used to constantly fight for traction to plow snow.
A few years ago I had enough.
I put chains on all 4 tires and now I can push a lot more snow. Now that I'm not always spinning I can push snow faster, I can push snow farther back , I can push snow down hill, I can push snow up hill. The differance is huge.

/ Traction Technique?
Thanks for all the replies guys...very helpful. Btw, I was coming up my front lawn when I got stuck. my paved drive is steep (use a snowblower it's safer) and I was going around it...after plowing the lower paved drive. When I purchased the 4720, just a few weeks ago (had a 3720), I did get chains for all 4. I have never put them on, but will in the AM...looking fwd to the results you guys mentioned. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to plow my paved steep drive with the chains on?

/ Traction Technique? #9  
If the rear tires won't spin at least chains will make that tractor look like it means business.:laughing:

/ Traction Technique?
sure will, so long as I'm able to get the chains to stay on...I guess I'll look cool one way or another.