Toolcat Snow Blowing Tires

/ Toolcat Snow Blowing Tires #41  
my 2021 Toolcat came with the standard construction tires, they worked for blowing but were not the best, a year later I picked up a finish mower and came with a set of grass tires, they are a couple inches taller and way wider but compared to the original way finer tread, I found for blowing anf plowing they performed way better than the original, so much so I have never changed back even during summer

/ Toolcat Snow Blowing Tires #42  
It really depends on what your conditions are terrain, slopes, type of snow. Blizzarks are great on glare ice/packed snow, not as good in deep snow or on inclines. Chains work very well on slopes, ice, deep snow but if you have to drive on pavement anywhere with the chains on, it a lumpy ride and slow going.

All things being equal I would recommend chains. You don't need spare rims or tires. You can put them on or off whenever you want and don't need to jack the equipment up.
Flat terrain. Start with mostly a packed crushed limestone base, that will change to hardpacked snow base as it accumulates, no pavement. Typical snowfall probably in the 3-6" range, often with some wind, so it's not fluff. Typical snow/wind event will make some areas I'm blowing up to 12-14". We can get snowfalls in the 9-12" range and all out blizzards but not every season. Do get some icey conditions from freeze/thaw.

Do you stick with the R-4's or have you tried other tires? How do the R-4's work for you without chains? How much of the time do you have the chains on? (assuming all 4 wheels?)

/ Toolcat Snow Blowing Tires #43  
Wondering if I should have a set of chains too, though I think I would like to wait on those to judge the need (you know, stuck to the bejesus before getting what you needed in the first place!) FWIW, I've always had tractors with blowers, and on a 2 wheel drive tractor always put chains on before the snow flew, the last 10 years I had a larger 4x4 tractor and never put the chains on that I had for it. How many of you run chains on your Toolcat and how many of you don't ever use them?

As others have said, it really depends on how steep the roads are that you're working.

I use a G-series Toolcat for clearing snow in a cabin community in the PNW, and the job would be impossible without chains. The roads are steep, and the job includes side-hills, deep re-frozen snow, and ice. Last winter I ran the Bobcat Turf tires with 2-link, square-link chains with a winch on the hitch as a backup plan (Steep snow performance of Toolcat 5600?). All the surfaces in our community are dirt, so I don't have to worry about the chains damaging asphalt.

My traction was great going up and down, but the chains didn't give much grip side-hilling. For next winter I'm switching to a diamond-shaped chain pattern for better omnidirectional grip.

If you're working mostly level ground, others here seem to do fine with good snow tires without chains.

That's not an option for me.

/ Toolcat Snow Blowing Tires #44  
I'm looking to switch my Series G Toolcat from the Turf Tires to a narrower wheel/tire for this coming winter.

I like the idea of buying truck wheels/tires rather than buying from Bobcat.

What are the wheel specs that fit the Series G?
What specs do I need in addition to the bolt spacing?
What load rating do I need for the wheels and tires?

Last edited:
   / Toolcat Snow Blowing Tires #45  
The G series has a wheel bolt circle of 5.5" or 139.7mm and use wheels with zero offset. The turf wheels are 10" wide and the R4 tires use a 8" wide wheel. The center hole has to be something like 4.125" large like early truck wheels or aftermarket.

/ Toolcat Snow Blowing Tires #47  
Unfortunately the SnowPaws are incompatible with chains. SnowPaw tried to convince me their tires are so good that I won't need chains, but I don't believe them. Their videos show working only on level ground. I'm sure their tires are great for that.

I need a narrow tire whose sole function is to be a good platform for chains.
I don't think the tread that's sitting under cleated chains actually matters :)

The Bobcat snow tires you linked are an attractive option due to the narrow width and one-click simplicity.

I've wondered, though, if the deep widely spaced lugs will work well as a chain platform.
It seems like a flatter truck tire would be a better chain platform.
Thoughts on whether the deep spacing between between the lugs will be a problem for chains?

/ Toolcat Snow Blowing Tires #48  
Agree....you don't need deep tread with chains. Some people have went with steel wheels like Pro Comp truck wheels...just watch the offsets. Yeah, tires just don't do it like chains do when you are in tough conditions.