Considering selling compact tractor for toolcat

/ Considering selling compact tractor for toolcat #1  

TYM 474 Owner

Tractor
TYM 474 Cab
Hello All

I have been reading through this forum and have found it to be insightful, however I would still like some community input as I am pondering selling my 48hp compact tractor for a toolcat (used). I don't have a lot of acreage to manage and primarily use my compact tractor to manage chores/hobbies around my home and as a stress releif tool. I find it enjoying and relaxing to operate a tractor. I however would like to have more acerage in the future 10-20 acres. The one thing I have consistently struggled with is the low hydraulic flow for implements on the tractor loader. I have several 3 point attachments with only 1 being PTO driven. I have children and find the thought of them being able to spend some time with me inside the machine while working enjoyable. No extra seat in my compact tractor and driving and operating the loader etc. is tedious with one of them inside even the smallest.

I've been watching Nate on the Nater Tater channel on YouTube and am impressed by the machine capabilities. Thanks Nate if you are out there for the video walk-through, has been very beneficial.

With that being said I suppose I am looking for anyone who was in a similar situation and whether they decided to take the leap and purchase a toolcat. I feel like I would want to have a 5610 over the 5600 given the PTO capability but given I only have 1 PTO implement (tiller) this is not a deal breaker. I am sure there are hydraulic tillers for a skid steer that I could replace for my PTO tiller. I have been searching the internet and find that a 5610 for sale especially newer models IE 2014 or later are few and far between, where there are quite a bit more 5600s. I also live in NC and most toolcats I've encountered are up north or out west which also limits availability.

I am cautious about buying used and the cost of not only ownership but also potential upkeep/repairs over my compact tractor. I am not in a position to buy new as I've heard a new machine can top out at 80k+. Hoping someone can shed more light on my thinking so I can consider all the pros/cons.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts in advance.

/ Considering selling compact tractor for toolcat #2  
I am currently going through this now.

Sold my LX3310 machine and am now waiting for a delivery of my new UW53. While the ToolCat isn't exceptional in any 1 category, it is like a swiss army knife and does a lot of things moderately well.

I wanted to buy used, but the 5610/UW53 is a unicorn. Even older machines that are in decent shape cost almost as much as a new machine.

If you can even find one they are usually gone by the time you call.

I now have a 9 month wait for the new machine to show up. Hoping it gets pulled in, and really hoping it doesn't get pushed out!

/ Considering selling compact tractor for toolcat #3  
I traded my New Holland TC33D tractor w/FEL and MMM for the 5610 Toolcat. Most of my work was mowing and 3pt work with the tractor so it was nice not having the FEL on, so I would take the loader off. With the TC, I can just keep the lift arm empty when I'm not using it. The visibility and strength of the lift arm is way better than the tractor and it stays planted better. The TC can NOT lift as high though. I use a snow blower, tiller, rotary cutter, and rear blade on the 3pt of my TC. I use a bucket, grapple, snow plow, mower, and carry-all on the front.

They are not the perfect replacement for a tractor but I'm sure glad I purchased mine.

garden till 005_1.JPG

/ Considering selling compact tractor for toolcat #4  
I am/was in a fairly similar position. Sold a tractor to get a UTV, then realized the UTV would not do the work I needed it to do, and am now searching for a Toolcat. Mine will be for private use on my property up in the mountains where having one tool serve as many functions as possible is the name of my game. The Toolcat and my Kubota KX040 excavator will do everything I need up there hopefully for decades to come. For my application the 5600 with the dump bed is a no brainer over the 5610. There is an aftermarket kit for a 3pt hitch on the 5600, just no 540 PTO. I'm sure there could/would be a way to run a hydrualic PTO to the rear but at that point you may as well just get SSQA hydraulic implements to run on the front.

I am in NC too, and have a modest budget as well. You are right that used Toolcats are next to impossible to find in the south as then you have to go sorting out through all the rust heaps up north and deal with a transactions several states away. I have a deal worked out on 2006 rust free 800 hour machine. Took several months to find one that fits my bill after constantly searching day in/day out. You mentioned watching the 'Nater Tater' youtube channel as have I. Do yourself a favor and familiarize yourself with the different years, and models as there significant changes made during the Toolcat production run.

/ Considering selling compact tractor for toolcat #5  
I’d trade my 75A tomorrow if the toolcat lifted higher. The limited lift height is an issue.

/ Considering selling compact tractor for toolcat #6  
Hello All

I have been reading through this forum and have found it to be insightful, however I would still like some community input as I am pondering selling my 48hp compact tractor for a toolcat (used). I don't have a lot of acreage to manage and primarily use my compact tractor to manage chores/hobbies around my home and as a stress releif tool. I find it enjoying and relaxing to operate a tractor. I however would like to have more acerage in the future 10-20 acres. The one thing I have consistently struggled with is the low hydraulic flow for implements on the tractor loader. I have several 3 point attachments with only 1 being PTO driven. I have children and find the thought of them being able to spend some time with me inside the machine while working enjoyable. No extra seat in my compact tractor and driving and operating the loader etc. is tedious with one of them inside even the smallest.

I've been watching Nate on the Nater Tater channel on YouTube and am impressed by the machine capabilities. Thanks Nate if you are out there for the video walk-through, has been very beneficial.

With that being said I suppose I am looking for anyone who was in a similar situation and whether they decided to take the leap and purchase a toolcat. I feel like I would want to have a 5610 over the 5600 given the PTO capability but given I only have 1 PTO implement (tiller) this is not a deal breaker. I am sure there are hydraulic tillers for a skid steer that I could replace for my PTO tiller. I have been searching the internet and find that a 5610 for sale especially newer models IE 2014 or later are few and far between, where there are quite a bit more 5600s. I also live in NC and most toolcats I've encountered are up north or out west which also limits availability.

I am cautious about buying used and the cost of not only ownership but also potential upkeep/repairs over my compact tractor. I am not in a position to buy new as I've heard a new machine can top out at 80k+. Hoping someone can shed more light on my thinking so I can consider all the pros/cons.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts in advance.

If you are getting more acreage I would keep the tractor and get a good UTV that can take attachments (Kubota RTV for example).

What are you trying to run off of the FEL 3rd function that requires higher flow?

/ Considering selling compact tractor for toolcat
If you are getting more acreage I would keep the tractor and get a good UTV that can take attachments (Kubota RTV for example).

What are you trying to run off of the FEL 3rd function that requires higher flow?

Hey

I'm trying to use a fairly good size auger 24-36" and trencher. Most of the ones I've seen require a minimum of 14 gpm most 20+ where my tractor only puts out about 7.6 gpm to the implement. I've seen where some guys who have used higher flow implements like an auger with their compact tractor however turns very slow and I'm not confident would be practical for my use. I own a Can AM HD8 it meets my needs with regard to dump bed etc.