Titan skeleton rock bucket mod

/ Titan skeleton rock bucket mod
Well I skirted this attachment yesterday. I raked rocks 1" to 4" into a row and then scooped em up with the solid bucket. Sure I got a little dirt but it was definitely 80-90% rocks and I just poured them over the edge of the creek gorge. Done. F those rock buckets :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
   / Titan skeleton rock bucket mod #23  
That is certainly a cheap and easy way to go. I have piles like that all over the property where I raked the rock and all the weed/sod from a first plow. Now I have mounds of decaying weed, rock, and dirt. I may have to use your approach and just find a bunch of low spots :)

/ Titan skeleton rock bucket mod #24  
Well I skirted this attachment yesterday. I raked rocks 1" to 4" into a row and then scooped em up with the solid bucket. Sure I got a little dirt but it was definitely 80-90% rocks and I just poured them over the edge of the creek gorge. Done. F those rock buckets :ROFLMAO:

Don't blame you. The reason I know about rock buckets is that after a flood here, the EPA and their contract excavators re-routed our creek. One day they simply pulled out, leaving us to deal with a pile of dirt and rock almost as big as our house. After looking at the pile for a year, I began sorting out the rocks & dirt. Big job, but the dirt is worth saving.
We are still in the process of dealing with the rocks. Some get built into rock embankments, some reinforce the creek bank. And some are still in piles.
rScotty

The rock walls in the northeast are a testament to backbreaking farm work from an era gone by.

/ Titan skeleton rock bucket mod #26  
^ amen to that. What's amazing to me is when you go hiking through the woods in PA and NY and come across an impeccably stacked stone wall. Some family of farmers toiled away to move and stack those stones like a work of art... and now we haven't even farmed that field or pasture for decades.

1665592754812.png

I lived in PA and CT. The woods are indeed crisscrossed in walls of stones that have stood for hundreds of years. And no JD tractor moved those stones. It was man and horse or ox power.

I was able to reclaim a couple of really rocky areas with the landscape rake and the modified rock bucket. I think the toothed bucket will work best in loose soil and for hard soil with loose rock on top a smooth edge bucket would be best. Cheers

/ Titan skeleton rock bucket mod #29  
I was able to reclaim a couple of really rocky areas with the landscape rake and the modified rock bucket. I think the toothed bucket will work best in loose soil and for hard soil with loose rock on top a smooth edge bucket would be best. Cheers

I think you are right. That's how I ended up with two rock buckets.
I'd love to see some before and after pictures of the work you did.

On our Woods Landscape rake it turns out that there are a couple of oddities with the design that I suspect have kept it from ever being a more popular implement. The Woods is the best one I know of, but it may be possible that it can be improved.

1. The trailing wheels are very close to the rake tines. If there is a reason for that I can't figure what it would be. It's easy to make the trailing arms any length, and there might be an advantage in making the length adjustable. So why were they made as one length and that so close? As the rake hops around the wheels get pushed sideways enough to interfere with the tines.

My thought is that the wheels should normally be rolling on raked ground a foot behind the tines or blade - whichever one is in use.
I've ordered a couple of pieces of 3"x3" x 1/4" x18" angle iron to extend the wheels farther back.

2. I have no idea how in the world that the manufacturer expected one person to raise and lower the grader blade accessory attachment. Or to latch it in place. The grader blade is a clever extra feature, but way too heavy for one guy. As is, I raise it by lowering the whole rake onto a stump and latching it in place with a chain. Will have to come up with something better.

3. I think the angling pivot needs work. It's awfully sloppy - but the parts book doesn't show the expected quarter inch wall bushing I thought might be missing.... so maybe it is supposed to be sloppy. I'll hold off on that until #1 and 2 are done.
rScotty
Landscape rake on JD530.JPG

Last edited:
I wish I knew the answers. There is a real interesting relationship between the distance of the wheels from the times and how it effects or limits the angle of the tines in the ground.
I was trying not to dig with the tines so I wanted the bar low and the tines as non aggressive as possible. This required a wheel that extended down below the tines when the tine bar (where the tines mount) was flat or neutral.
I had to remodel my welding area. And I'm just about ready to get back into the rake gauge wheel project. I have some 12" caster wheels but they do look as durable as yours. I think I will have about 4 inches clear between the wheels and the tines.