Titan skeleton rock bucket mod

/ Titan skeleton rock bucket mod #1  

scootr

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200 HST, 773 Bobcat, Cat forklift
Titan 60" nicely made, heavy, stout as heck. My complaint is the ribs are 3 inches apart. You can darn near fit your fist in between the bars. Consequently it's more of a boulder bucket that leaves all sorts of fist size rocks behind.
I searched and found 3" is about standard on a full sized bucket. I toyed with the idea of laying expanded mesh, or welded wire in the bucket but the cost was high and the shipping was out of this world... Then it hit me - I bought some used to be cheap #5 rebar and cut a piece to go in the middle of each space. Now it will be a 1.25 " screen. Got the pieces cut today. Hope to start welding them in tomorrow. Pics when I'm done.modmo

/ Titan skeleton rock bucket mod #2  
I think you will find that expanded steel wont allow for much to fall through. Are you trying to make topsoil with this bucket?

Some times its just easier to go through and hand pick the biggest rocks and leave the rest.

/ Titan skeleton rock bucket mod
I did get the 5/8 rebar welded in between each rib. That reduced the space from 3 to 1.5 inch basically. ANd since the dirt was dry it did allow the earth to fall through with some shaking. But a problem remains with getting the little rocks picked up in this bucket because of the big arse rock teeth in front. I realize now I should have spent more and bought a smooth edge skeleton bucket.
I bought a cutting edge and thinking of how to further modify the bucket so it will scoop up a windrow of rock. May just have to sell this one and get what I need - or go further down this rabbit hole. The cutting edge arrives today. ;)

Last edited:
   / Titan skeleton rock bucket mod #4  
We had a lot of rocks to move so I bought one of those inexpensive flat tine rock bucket with 3" spacing. Several companies build exactly the same design. It looked good and was stout, but didn't work well. It didn't do anything well. It let biggish rocks fall through and yet it tended to "clog up" and not let the dirt fall through. The flat tine points were hard to force under rocks & then didn't move them to the back or lost them off the front. This is all on a pretty heavy tractor with enough HP.

About a year later I saw an adv. for what looked like a different design of rock bucket with longer Round Tines more closely spaced (2.25"), better tips, and a different way of holding rocks in. Also somewhat heavier construction. Not perfect, but it works a thousand percent better. Also costs more. Like the Flat Tine types, several companies make the same bucket. So I bought one and sure enough, it is a lot better. It also has better visibility - though that may vary with the tractor.

I guess my conclusion is there isn't much difference just looking at the flat and round tine buckets. But they sure work differently. The round tine bucket is so useful that I tend to leave it on the tractor. It's long enough that I can see what the front end is doing. That's real handy.

rScotty

1_Typical Flat Tine Rock Bucket.jpg2_Flat Tine Rock Bucket at work.jpg3_Typical Round Tine Rock Bucket.jpg4_Round Tine Rock Bucket at work.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I started with the titan toothed bucket. I'm shocked how badly it worked.
Obviously a lot of hit and miss going on with this attachment. It seems nobody makes just one. There are several designs from each manufacturer. I'm going to try one more mod on the front edge to help with the picking up small rocks on hard flat dirt this weekend

/ Titan skeleton rock bucket mod #6  
I built a mini-skid sized rock bucket with tighter ~1.5" spacing.. but then never built the mini-skid SSQA mount onto my tractor and so have never used it yet!!

But if you don't mind making a mess, you can dig a small furrow with the bucket, next to the rocks, backdrag the rocks into the furrow, and then push under them to pick them up.. the ground behind them should keep them from running away from you. Then you got a hole in the ground to fill.. Might be able to mostly fill it by backdragging with the heel of the loaded bucket, maybe. Or just come back to it.

But yeah i was bothered by the standard tine spacing enough that i didn't bother to buy one and went straight to building one. But i've yet to prove that the thing i built is not a pile of crap, so.. talk is cheap!!

I have a 773 BC and SSQA on the Kubota. We grow rocks here. Bad ground and the rocks just keep coming to the surface. I figured out how to rake them into a row. 20 yrs ago I crudely built a 3pt rock rake, using old concrete form stakes as tines. It was C shaped and it could gather and make piles but I bent my TL trying to dig out a big rock with it in reverse... sorta quit using it after that and later let the junk man take it. Hopefully this project goes better. lol

/ Titan skeleton rock bucket mod #8  
Thanks for the info. I started with the titan toothed bucket. I'm shocked how badly it worked.
Obviously a lot of hit and miss going on with this attachment. It seems nobody makes just one. There are several designs from each manufacturer. I'm going to try one more mod on the front edge to help with the picking up small rocks on hard flat dirt this weekend
Scootr, I'll be curious what you learn. I think you are on the right track with mod to the front edge

FWIW, I was shocked too. But then got to looking and realized that the front of the tines only look sharp from a distance. When you look up close, you can see that they are actually flat noses on those tines and that adds up to a lot of area. The welded reinforcement bar running the width of the bucket right behind the tips is also flat-fronted.
And so is the TOP of each tine so that dirt can perch up there. Add it all up and that is too much flat surface both frontal and top. The round tines do way better...still not perfect. Maybe rent one to compare.

When you think about it, think how a regular dirt bucket would work if you ground the front cutting edge back so that it becomes a half inch vertical flat surface - and now try pushing that puppy through the ground. Same diff.

I cut up a smooth replacement edge and welded the pieces in between the teeth. It is better but it's still not perfect for my use.
But it did help significantly. My advice is if you are trying to pickup rocks on hard ground get a smooth bucket. No teeth.
Here's what I did with my Saturday am.
In picture #1 You can see how they built it but with my rebar added reducing the spaces 50%.

Attachments

• IMG_2826.JPG
    IMG_2826.JPG
    293.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_2829.JPG
    IMG_2829.JPG
    370.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_2830.JPG
    IMG_2830.JPG
    407 KB · Views: 180
   / Titan skeleton rock bucket mod #10  
I cut up a smooth replacement edge and welded the pieces in between the teeth. It is better but it's still not perfect for my use.
But it did help significantly. My advice is if you are trying to pickup rocks on hard ground get a smooth bucket. No teeth.
Here's what I did with my Saturday am.
In picture #1 You can see how they built it but with my rebar added reducing the spaces 50%.

Thanks for the posting. It's fun to see someone get out the welder and modify a bucket. I sure do feel for anyone with lots of rocks to deal with. It takes special techniques and they don't seem to be much published on it. On my 15 year journey with rock buckets on the M59, there's been temptation to make some sort of better bucket - but haven't yet. Maybe you will get it done.

Using the aux front hydraulics to drive some sort of suspended brush or shaker screen keeps running through my mind.

In the photos in post #4 you can see that I'm lucky enough not to be trying to pick up rocks on hard ground. And maybe that is why the round tine bucket works for our ground. The type of ground and shape of rock is everything. We have fine sandy soil - not sticky - and rounded rocks. What I do wouldn't work with clay soil or flat rocks or shards. The ground here is soft enough to open up a 20 foot long strip with the rock bucket tips an inch or two below the surface to bring the rocks to the surface. It often takes several trips back and forth.

Then when there are enough rocks on top of the soft soil, the round tine type rock bucket will slip under the pile of rocks so they can be lifted. I can rarely get more in one load than what you see in the photos in my prev. post.
It's a slow process. Having a compound low gearing and 60 hp on a 4 ton tractor is about minimal for working a 72" wide rock bucket .... even just picking up those loose rocks.

And when done, there's still a huge pile of rocks to deal with. After filling in some ditches & a gulley, we've got piles of rocks all over the property.
rScotty