Titan skeleton rock bucket mod

/ Titan skeleton rock bucket mod
When I said we had bad ground I should have used a capital B. It's clay and a solid mix of round and shattered rock. The dirt is either hard as hell or sandy bottom. But it grows the 2 Ws, wheat and wine. I windrowed the loose surface rocks with a 7ft landscape rake. I angle it to kick the rocks out then just keep adding to and moving the row of rocks over until they look like they are ready for the rock bucket to scoop then up with the bobcat.
Problem has been the rock bucket either crawls over the rocks or pushes them - frustrating to say the least. But I only have to this once in a while and not every year.
Thanks for your posts.

/ Titan skeleton rock bucket mod #12  
When I said we had bad ground I should have used a capital B. It's clay and a solid mix of round and shattered rock. The dirt is either hard as hell or sandy bottom. But it grows the 2 Ws, wheat and wine. I windrowed the loose surface rocks with a 7ft landscape rake. I angle it to kick the rocks out then just keep adding to and moving the row of rocks over until they look like they are ready for the rock bucket to scoop then up with the bobcat.
Problem has been the rock bucket either crawls over the rocks or pushes them - frustrating to say the least. But I only have to this once in a while and not every year.
Thanks for your posts.

Well I'll be darned. I just came in from working on the same implement: a 7 foot angling andscape rake. It's one I bought ten years ago and promptly loaned out to a friend to use on his horse corral. Bolts were all rusted.

The rake just just came back and I've not yet used it. Woods model 8270 or LR107/700 with adj. gauge wheels and flip down blade with end caps. Soon as I get it in shape I might try to windrow some surface rocks. Our soil has no clay. It's decomposed granite, some sand, and river rocks. Pine needles are about 4 to 5" long and tire marks a foot wide so rocks are 3" to over a foot.

In the past I push rocks into piles and then pick up those piles with the rock bucket and shake the dirt out.
rScotty

Landscape driveway.JPGLandscape rake on JD530.JPG

That is a very nice rake with those wheels. Lately I've been trying to set mine up with similar wheels so I could use it on our 3/4 gravel drive. I should have just bought the wheel set but I chocked on the $600 price tag. In hindsight. It may have been worth it.
lol

More pics please - what is the bar that hangs below the main bar by 2 black brackets where the tines attach?

/ Titan skeleton rock bucket mod #14  
That is a very nice rake with those wheels. Lately I've been trying to set mine up with similar wheels so I could use it on our 3/4 gravel drive. I should have just bought the wheel set but I chocked on the $600 price tag. In hindsight. It may have been worth it.
lol

More pics please - what is the bar that hangs below the main bar by 2 black brackets where the tines attach?

Ah-ha! Glad you asked!

That flat bar tucked up under the front of the spring times is Wood's secret flip down grader blade! You can kind of see it in the photo below. Normally it sits up out of the way for raking. For grading, just pull two pins and it pivots down on two pivoting legs to lay against the front of the tines. You can sort of see the rt. hand pivot leg in the photo. In the down position the grader blade cutting edge sits about an inch lower than the rake tine tips.

This grader blade also has the optional end caps. My end caps are not there in the photo - although you can see the holes where they mount. End caps are another well-kept secret that double the usefulness of a grader blade. By using one or both end caps the grader blade becomes a sort of versatile angling box blade. That combo of blade and caps works particularly well when combined with gauge wheels.

Yeah, I know.... those gauge wheels cost too much. No way was I going to pay that roughly $600 for the gauge wheels, guage arms, and the yokes with spacers. Then I looked at one & it changed my mind. Very impressive design and quality. I'm cheap sometimes, but willing to pay if the quality is there. It was and I did and here's why: Like a ot of tractor guys, I finally figured out that good adjustable gauge wheels are the key to making blades, boxes scrapers, and rakes work well.

And these are designed so that they can be unbolted and swapped onto any other implement - maybe even including the FEL bucket or a front blade - by simply drilling 4 half inch holes and bolting them on. Height is controlled by the washer stack on the pivot of the yoke. If you do that, remember that gauge wheels are not rigid. They are supposed to be a bit floppy.

So it's not $600 to add gauge wheels to the landscape rake. It's $600 to get a set of gauge wheels that can be fitted onto most implements that I have. I love and live to experiment with mechanical anything. So for me the gauge wheels became a no-brainer. Sure I could make up my own set. But honestly it would cost me 2/3 as much even though I weld and have machine tools.
The gauge wheel tires are solid rubber industrial, wheels are ball-bearing, arms are 1/2" steel, solidly built yokes have grease zerks. Height adj is genius. Woods carries complete rebuild kits. So does Messicks.

HOWEVER, they are not perfect. The gauge wheel horizontal arm should be longer. As they are, they interfere with the rake tines when reversed. I will be making a telescoping arm extension to add a foot to mine.

rScotty
flip down grader blade.JPG

Last edited:
   / Titan skeleton rock bucket mod #15  
Usually a "grizzly " works for me as the cost of a rock bucket in out of the picture for my needs..... Not mine but something similar works for me...

Clipboard01.jpg

/ Titan skeleton rock bucket mod #16  
Usually a "grizzly " works for me as the cost of a rock bucket in out of the picture for my needs..... Not mine but something similar works for me...

View attachment 765726

Thanks for posting the photo of that grizzly. That looks like about as simple and strong as one needs to be. If I ever get around to building one that design is a good place to start.
I wonder why they are called, "grizzlys"?
rScotty

The moldboard attachment is great. Makes for a 2 in 1 attachment. Your woods rake is the best. I'm that guy who is messing around adapting wheels to his rake. I got the rake for $200 20 yrs ago from a neighbor... Honestly I should have and still think about just spending the $600. But I'm stubborn.
That grizzly looks too girly to withstand a whole lot of heavy use. I see them on CL made of steel.

/ Titan skeleton rock bucket mod #18  
Thanks for posting the photo of that grizzly. That looks like about as simple and strong as one needs to be. If I ever get around to building one that design is a good place to start.
I wonder why they are called, "grizzlys"?
rScotty
Go to GOOGLE IMAGES and look up "grizzlies".... They come on all shapes and sizes from light weight DIY to really huge massive things.... I have no idea why they are called "grizzlies"...

/ Titan skeleton rock bucket mod #19  
Did a similar thing to my grapple to allow me to better sift rocks. The default spacing on a W.R. Long long bottom grapple is way to large for sifting rocks. I made a removable insert that allows me to use it when needed, or remove the weight when not. Sod doesn't work well in either case is what I've learned. Dirt has to be pretty dry to sort and sift as well.

Attachments

• rock-bucket-wweld.jpg
    rock-bucket-wweld.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 254

That's nice that you can remove it when it's not needed.