tire chains

/ tire chains #21  
Here is a link to my chain experience posted in another thread. I've tried a variety: Ladder style with v-bars, then went to Duo Grip with v-bars, and finally OFO EKO 8 (studded, European style).

The OFA EKO8 chains was night and day difference in terms of traction.
Thats what we got as well. This week I pulled a delivery truck up the hill after he got stuck in the snow. And I can travel in deep woods. They were about $500.

2019031115133766-IMG_4106-L.jpg

/ tire chains #22  
Thats what we got as well. This week I pulled a delivery truck up the hill after he got stuck in the snow. And I can travel in deep woods. They were about $500.

2019031115133766-IMG_4106-L.jpg

Looks like something different on your fronts vs your rears?

I've been very happy with my OFA EKO 8 chains. I still need to get around to selling my V-bar Duo Grip chains. As noted in the write-up I linked, they were just too rough a ride on hard surfaces at higher speeds - I though tI was going to shake either tractor or myself to pieces. They were fine for work in the woods, however: Forward traction was similar to the ladder style v-bar chains, and lateral traction was greatly improved. One thing you can do to improve the ride on the duo grips a bit: add a ladder style cross link in each of the big gaps in the duo grip pattern

/ tire chains #23  
Ofa doesn’t make them for the front size. Those are studded ATV diamond chains. They fit well and add a lot of traction, without overpowering them.

/ tire chains #24  
I put the Aquiline MPC chains on my Max26xl this winter and they worked awesome for snow and ice. They stayed in place very well without tensioners. They are well worth the money!IMG_20190120_171120797.jpegIMG_20190120_171140215.jpeg

/ tire chains #25  
Hi fellas, I am joining in to this thread a little late, so I apologize if I miss something already said. Just wanted to add that TRYGG chains from Finland are, IMHO, the industry standard. I have had them for 20 years or so on various tractors and they just do not fail. Currently have them front and rear on my Branson 6640, pushing an 84" snow pusher and am 84" drag blower. It is unstoppable and has directional control with the pusher down. Relatively easy to install and remove and they sell a stretching tool to make hook up easy. They are not cheap, but in my experience economical solutions consume in time what they conserve in cost.
Hope that is useful.

/ tire chains #26  
They are not cheap, but in my experience economical solutions consume in time what they conserve in cost.
Hope that is useful.

I have a lot more time then money.

/ tire chains #27  
...and therefore you probably have a lot more fun! Sadly I have the other problem, far less time so I have to solve equipment performance problems with money. The trick is to make sure the investments made in equipment work reliably when I need them to. Not as much fun, but gets the job done. Hope you enjoy engineering some great tire chain solutions. Best Regards

/ tire chains #28  
Hi fellas, I am joining in to this thread a little late, so I apologize if I miss something already said. Just wanted to add that TRYGG chains from Finland are, IMHO, the industry standard. I have had them for 20 years or so on various tractors and they just do not fail. Currently have them front and rear on my Branson 6640, pushing an 84" snow pusher and am 84" drag blower. It is unstoppable and has directional control with the pusher down. Relatively easy to install and remove and they sell a stretching tool to make hook up easy. They are not cheap, but in my experience economical solutions consume in time what they conserve in cost.
Hope that is useful.
Must be something about living in Ontario, as I really like how the TRYGG chains perform on our 2wd Cx 90! But I'm new on here so what have I got to say,lol!

/ tire chains #29  
Hi fellas, I am joining in to this thread a little late, so I apologize if I miss something already said. Just wanted to add that TRYGG chains from Finland are, IMHO, the industry standard. //
Trygg chains are not made in Finland, they are made in Norway. TRYGG Kjetting

Ofa chains are made in Finland. Eko | Tractor and Snow chains | Products | OFA

Both Ofa and Trygg say they are hardened chain. Ofa says their Eko chains are made from Boron steel. Trygg does not state what their chain is made of, that I could find.

The Ofa Eko8 chains for the 15-19.5 rear tires on my tractor were $485 plus shipping. They weigh 121 lbs so the distributor delivered them by truck.

Trygg offers some 5mm (37 lb) and 7mm chains (72 lbs) (TRYGG Kjetting) in our tire size of 15-19.5 which perhaps hold up just as well as the 8mm Ofa.

Last edited:
   / tire chains #30  
Thanks Garandman,
Not sure why I thought they were from Finland. It clearly says they are from Norway on the very solid wooden box they come in. Senior moment I expect. BLUF is that they are darned near indestructible. fit really well, do not come off and provide remarkable traction in conditions one cannot even stand up in. They are slightly more expensive in Canada, but then everything is. I suppose my point was that even though they are a bit pricey, they are brilliant and work when I need them to.
Kind Regards to everyone.