THIS is how you handle porch thieves

/ THIS is how you handle porch thieves #191  
No politics please.

My grandmother lived a pretty hard life losing two husbands to the coal mines. She was very religious and loved her garden and could grow tomatoes and roses like no one could. I always respected and loved her. That said, she always thought the moon landing was a hoax and no one could convince her other wise. They didn't even have electronic social media platforms back then.

At the end of the day, people are going to believe what they want to believe.

That said at the end of the day, lets just say I don't disagree with your last sentence;)
Coal mining was a real man killer in the olden days; I had an uncle who died of lung disease in his late 40's or early 50's...and mine accidents were commonplace before the Mine Safety agency...MSHA.

/ THIS is how you handle porch thieves
Coal mining was a real man killer in the olden days; I had an uncle who died of lung disease in his late 40's or early 50's...and mine accidents were commonplace before the Mine Safety agency...MSHA.
My grandmothers second husband lost his first wife due to a tooth extraction and infection. Things couldn't have been easy back then.

My grandmother had 5 kids, her second husband had 6 kids (instant family of 13, then they had my one uncle together). That's not including her one son who was killed in Belgium during WW2 (she had 3 boys serve during WW2).

I'm going nuts with just two 16 year old boys sometimes.

/ THIS is how you handle porch thieves #194  
Just one Question. What are you going to change your handle to? lol Sig/slingshot has kind of a nice ring to it.

I have seen enough stuff to not personally have any idea if they went to the moon or not. And from NASASo themselves. Saying on numerous occassions that they are not able to go beyond low earth orbit! SAY WHAT?
So if earthlings cannot boost payload beyond low earth orbit, how do you explain geosynchronous satellites?

22,500 miles up does not qualify for "low earth orbit" now does it?

/ THIS is how you handle porch thieves #195  
The irony is with the talk on what to do with the homeless, this was in this mornings paper.

Police shutting down 'Tent City' in Winston-Salem

About 40 minutes away...
That's the new normal (knewnrml) I'm talking about.

Go to the west coast if you want to see homeless people. The story i heard in portland was........and i don't know this to be true but......

They have their encampments under certain bridges in the city. Apparently these specific bridges are either state or federal hwys or something? Because of that, no one really has jurisdiction so no one has to run them off. And where they gonna go anyway?

The Winston/Salem story was about 10-20 folks or something? These encampments on the west coast have 10 times as many people.

I'm sure i got some of the details wrong but the general idea is the same, even the govt. is saying....let the govt fix it, just not this section of the govt.

I got no suggestions.

/ THIS is how you handle porch thieves #196  
Some only want to exist and others have problems and many severe.

With housing comes rules and that is where the situation breaks down.

I have regulars around work...

Some are no problem at all... one is 71 year old Wendy... she had a job and a apartment and was eligible for shelters... there are no shelters here for men unless veteran...

For Wendy the issue is she will not give up her 2 Chihuahuas so she lives under the overpass with two shopping carts...

There are also people living in their cars... the shopping center has several that keep moving...

I cant speak for all but the problem is not someone being homeless but when everything becomes a garbage can... or scavenger pinching anything to hock...

The city can go in and clear a camp... costs big money today with hazmat, dumpsters, etc... in a couple of weeks you would never know it had been cleared.

My own thought is I want to live in a place where people pick up after themselves and respect each other and their property...

Its been quiet this week in the neighborhoods... always a downturn when its raining which it has been.

The Winston/Salem story was about 10-20 folks or something? These encampments on the west coast have 10 times as many people.
I understand.

We use to have the family donate our time working at the local shelters in Winston, and am familiar with homelessness on the street in Winston, just never realized that the problem has gotten to the point where when the city is taking down a "encampment", it makes the news.

Last working trips, I took early morning walks from the hotel in Richmond Va and Wichita Kansas. In both cases, walking downtown early AM, found people sleeping on the sidewalks. The only thing I can do is offer my gloves or hat if I see someone that is cold and I figure they need it more than I (not what they do, but what I do).

Some are no problem at all... one is 71 year old Wendy... she had a job and a apartment and was eligible for shelters... there are no shelters here for men unless veteran...

For Wendy the issue is she will not give up her 2 Chihuahuas so she lives under the overpass with two shopping carts...
The irony is the 4 dogs currently living in our home all were "homeless" and they found us. I don't mean it as a bad joke, but haven't adpoted any homeless people yet. That to me it the irony.

Can't help but respect a woman who won't give up her dogs.

All that said, this life is nothing but a next step. Point being, no matter where or how you live this life, we will all have the same "playing field" at death. The parable of the rich man and Lazurus comes to mind.

/ THIS is how you handle porch thieves #199  
My own thought is I want to live in a place where people pick up after themselves and respect each other and their property...
Well, buddy... good luck with that one. We have spent the better part of the last year on our farm removing 5 old barn type buildings that were never maintained and fell down, removing several 30 yard dumpsters of random trash, 58 tires pulled out of hedge rows, and the list goes on. This is in rural America, not a homeless camp in SanFran.... Some people are more pig than human.

Last edited:
   / THIS is how you handle porch thieves #200  
Austin is getting overrun with homeless camps. They were invited by the current mayor. He wants to make Austin like Californi.

Often hear of Austin as a destination and know a number of bright 30 somethings that made the move.

Others have said it would be the only place in Texas they "Could" live...

I've never been but it sounds like a lot of Californians have made Austin a destination.