The last Barn. (maybe)

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
A friend of mine has a saw mill, he cut the big door headers for me. I wanted them straight and true 2x6 and that's what I got. Put them up the same day.
IMG_0968.jpeg
IMG_0969.jpeg
IMG_0970.jpeg

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #42  
Thanks Richard. I really wanted to hire someone to build it and just sit back and watch it go up. The cost was huge and I couldn't see paying someone for something I knew I could do just as well. (maybe better)
I have had a few people stop and ask if I was interested in building a barn for them. I am definitely not interested in that.
I watched a crew build mine. Then I finished the inside and wired it.

This Summer my Son is have a 72x36 addition added to the side of his current shop building. He'll hire the concrete work and the basic building construction. His FIL and I will plumb/wire/insulate/finish the inside. That'll completely satisfy my urges. And like you, we're trying to cut his costs by doing the things we can.

The same time I was ready to install the metal ceiling in my shop the builder crew was here starting on my house. A friend and I were standing in the shop talking about getting started. Had the tin and scaffolding. The crew came in the shop and said they had to quit for the day because they were waiting on some material. Brad said you guys gonna put up that ceiling? I said yeah. He said we can install that in an hour and a half. They charged $100 an hour. I said Don and I will hand you guys the tin. 90 minutes later I had a ceiling. That would have taken Don and I two days.....

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
I watched a crew build mine. Then I finished the inside and wired it.

This Summer my Son is have a 72x36 addition added to the side of his current shop building. He'll hire the concrete work and the basic building construction. His FIL and I will plumb/wire/insulate/finish the inside. That'll completely satisfy my urges. And like you, we're trying to cut his costs by doing the things we can.

The same time I was ready to install the metal ceiling in my shop the builder crew was here starting on my house. A friend and I were standing in the shop talking about getting started. Had the tin and scaffolding. The crew came in the shop and said they had to quit for the day because they were waiting on some material. Brad said you guys gonna put up that ceiling? I said yeah. He said we can install that in an hour and a half. They charged $100 an hour. I said Don and I will hand you guys the tin. 90 minutes later I had a ceiling. That would have taken Don and I two days.....
That's a good deal.
The buddy I had help with the roof metal actually does it for a living. If I did it with just me and my wife I'd still be doing it.:oops:
I knew it was going to be a big job (the whole build) but we just kept plugging along and finished before the snow came.

FYI;
Everyone take note of the air/sky. I was building when all the fires everywhere were burning. Some days were real good and some not so good. All things considered the air here was pretty good.

/ The last Barn. (maybe) #45  
Did your buddy predrill all the screw holes in the panels? I always think that requires a LOT of confidence in the substructure construction. :)

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
I'd love to hear more about your friends shop. It looks like it's been there forever!!!
I'm not sure but I think Noah used it for ark building materials.

I know his uncles are the ones who built it in the 40's and it was used daily for a living by his dad. Main use was milling logs into lumber for sale but they did custom cutting also. That thing cuts so straight and it's powerful. It was cool to watch him work it.

Last edited:
   / The last Barn. (maybe) #47  
Excellent thread. Very interesting. Great description and PICTURES. Thank you. However, I am still amazed at the span of the trusses. I built a barn 30 x 50. I found it cheaper to have the trusses built for me than buying the lumber. Those are heavy trusses. Were you worried that the truss sections may be heavier than the equipment would be able to lift. Very nice, beautiful scenery.

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
Did your buddy predrill all the screw holes in the panels? I always think that requires a LOT of confidence in the substructure construction. :)
No way, those purlins aren't that straight. o_O

If I would have had OSB maybe, but straight on the purlins that would have been a problem.

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
Excellent thread. Very interesting. Great description and PICTURES. Thank you. However, I am still amazed at the span of the trusses. I built a barn 30 x 50. I found it cheaper to have the trusses built for me than buying the lumber. Those are heavy trusses. Were you worried that the truss sections may be heavier than the equipment would be able to lift. Very nice, beautiful scenery.
Thanks
The answer is yes I was worried about the lifting strength of the boom truck. At times we had to help and push the sections up while not getting under them. :oops:

I did buy the trusses already built. I just hooked them together with the little boards then added the purlins and lifted them. Each truss weighed 450 lbs. So double that for each post add all the little boards then purlins, yes it was very heavy.
Not sure I mentioned it but the middle section is 45' wide, awnings are 12' inside measurements.

/ The last Barn. (maybe)
Hard to see but I added a hydrant (soft water from the house) so I could wash my truck/tractor in the shade. I run the line while the house was being built, just had to find it. It started raining while I was covering the trench, had to stop working.
IMG_0977.jpeg