Terramite T5, are they really that bad?

/ Terramite T5, are they really that bad? #31  
In My Opinion,
I bought a used T5C about 3 years ago, it was a used rental that was for sale. Paid $6500 for it with the full ROPS and the super wide floatation tires. i primarily used it to dig out about 40 tree stumps in my back yard. A friend and neighbor would use it on occasion with the agreement I would sell it to him for the same money when i was done with it PLUS when he bought it I then could use it when needed. Well The machine was awesome. It dug out every stump I had with no problems. Yes the loader is small but its really a home owner backhoe. A contractor called it a powered wheel barrow! Anyway I missed it so much that I bought another one last year. It is a 1996 with the skinny AG tires on the back and just a roll bar. I like the hydrostat drive, I like that it takes 10w30 motor oil not hydraulic fluid, I like the ease of the forward/reverse pedal with no gears to shift. Yes it travels slow BUT where the heck are you going to drive to on a backhoe? I have just over 2 acres of land and these machines are fantastic workers. I wish I had the smallest hoe bucket for digging stumps and being a welder/fabricator guy I may build one. The 20hp motors do the job these machines are built to do. The Terramite company is there for you but be warned when you order parts they really charge way too much shipping, be sure to get a quote when you have them on the phone. My 96 has been blowing hoses lately and I have decided I should have ordered the complete kit from Terr. for the $450. to be ahead of the game. I have about $200 in replacement hoses so far and I pulled 2 more off yesterday. Luckily I have a hose maker about 1 mile from my house! So sorry to ramble on but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Terramite at all. The only drawback I see is the hoe is permanently mounted, no 3pt hitch like a small tractor. Thanks for listening 2terras

/ Terramite T5, are they really that bad? #32  
I have owned a T5C for 8 years and recently bought a second on a T5D for my second property 25 miles away.

My terramites can out lift and dig my neighbors BX23 bota. To use his hoe, you have to get off tractor and climb up hoe to get on a second seat. Terramites you just pull a lever and spin around to use hoe. Don't have to get off seat.

Terramites are not for speed, fast walk at best. If I need to transport dirt or wood chips, I use terramite and load a 10k dump trailer which I pull around with a Farmall C.

One of my properties does have hills and it does stress the unit to climb hills with a full load of dirt.

My T5D has a replacement 20 hp Honda, which is a sweet running engine. The T5C has the original 20 hp cold blooded starting kohler command. I did have to grind the valves on the kohler. Once it warms up it's as strong as the Honda. Both use very little gas, less than a gallon an hour.

However I wouldn't want a standard tranny with clutch on a front loader. You will burn out the clutch or spin the tires before getting the front bucket full of dirt.

I can always count on the gas engine starting when it sub zero. Most other small sub-compacts are diesel.

One down side to a terramite is you have to be able to work on them. Not aware if they have a dealer network. I call the factory for parts and advice. So if you have limited mechanical skills better find one a local dealer sells.

Both my terramites have power steering. They have served me well.

/ Terramite T5, are they really that bad? #33  
I was looking at these before I bought my Kubota. The price was right for several in my area, and the capabilities seemed impressive.

Then I found a thread on another forum, wherein it was pointed out by several people that the hydraulic pump was NLA, and a rebuild was 10 grand. That was confirmed by several people.

I bought the Kubota!

/ Terramite T5, are they really that bad? #34  
Used them before - they work but are very unrefined and far from a joy to use. On steep hills they were down right scary. Compared to Kubota's, Deere's, etc they are a poor choice unless your only concern is price.

/ Terramite T5, are they really that bad? #35  
I was looking at these before I bought my Kubota. The price was right for several in my area, and the capabilities seemed impressive.

Then I found a thread on another forum, wherein it was pointed out by several people that the hydraulic pump was NLA, and a rebuild was 10 grand. That was confirmed by several people.

I bought the Kubota!

Terra corp sells new pumps for $600 for a T5C. Torque motors are around $800

/ Terramite T5, are they really that bad? #36  
I'm still using mine about 3 days a week. Cleared another 125 trees and this Terra is working great. I'd love to try a T7 or T9.

/ Terramite T5, are they really that bad? #37  
I bought a 2000 T5D about 3 or 4 years ago and have to say it has been the best money I have ever spent. This thing is a tank. Zero problems with it in the 300 hours that I have put on it since I bought it. It has around 1700 hours on it now and still runs and works like new. My buddy has BX 25 Kubota with hoe and even thou he spent 3 times as much for it as I did for my Terramite the Terramite will put it to shame in every category. Lifting capability's, Dig depth, rear boom lift you name it. Drop a 20 pound rock on the hood of a compact tractor and see what happens, You end up with a crush hood. On a Terramite the rock will just bounce off. They are made with plate steel not stamped tin. If you have a small acreage The terramite is perfect, I have dug a 400 ft trench and laid underground electrical to a pole building,dug a new 200 ft drain, moved huge piles of rocks and dirt, and cleared a lot of trees and brush with mine, even used it to tear down an old shed and clean up the mess. Like I said, best money I have ever spent.

/ Terramite T5, are they really that bad? #38  
Great to hear! I like them too. I just wish I kept my 1st one it was in much better condition. BUT I also paid $2000 MORE for it than this one.
I had a friend with an excavator come here to remove about 125 trees. He pushes them over, strips the branches off, cuts off the stump and hauls away the trunk. He left me with the mess of cleaning up. The T5C is doing it fine, just slow cause its small. I'm happy!

/ Terramite T5, are they really that bad? #39  
My experience with the T5 was very good. It was necessary to add a combination belly ripper/belly blade because the loader won't dig much without ripping it first, and grading with a loader is the pits.
The belly blade and ripper made a world of difference on long gravel driveways and big lawns. Ponds too. Rip it this way, scoop it that way and haul it off. The machine was plenty beefy and simple to work on. Greatly reduced cost of owner ship and headaches compared to a 8,000 pound plus tlb.
My old 8,000 pound Case 530 diesel was plenty easy to us with the low range and clutch shuttle shift. It was easy on soft ground with "very" low pressure in the rear tires "and" extending the hoe to offset a full load in the front loader so the front tires don't cut sink. I think it's a good alternative to a little tlb.

/ Terramite T5, are they really that bad? #40  
My experience with the T5 was very good. It was necessary to add a combination belly ripper/belly blade because the loader won't dig much without ripping it first, and grading with a loader is the pits.
The belly blade and ripper made a world of difference on long gravel driveways and big lawns. Ponds too. Rip it this way, scoop it that way and haul it off. The machine was plenty beefy and simple to work on. Greatly reduced cost of owner ship and headaches compared to a 8,000 pound plus tlb.
My old 8,000 pound Case 530 diesel was plenty easy to us with the low range and clutch shuttle shift. It was easy on soft ground with "very" low pressure in the rear tires "and" extending the hoe to offset a full load in the front loader so the front tires don't cut sink. I think it's a good alternative to a little tlb.
Any pics of that setup?