Terramite T5, are they really that bad?

/ Terramite T5, are they really that bad? #1  

cstamm81

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Mahindra 3016HST, Kubota F2880
I am in the market for a used sub 4000 lb loader/backhoe. I have a lot of grading and trenching to do, good deal of earth moving. I understand there are much bigger and better units for these jobs, ie a skid loader and a mini ex. But, I have a limited budget and will have lots of free time to use the thing.
So, in the range of $7500, can anything touch a Terramite T5? I read some very good opinions about them, then others bash them left and right. There seems to be little middle ground, people either swear by them or despise them.
Complaints seem to be speed having only 1 range hydro, not being refined enough, and inability to climb hills with a load... The speed may get old but I can live with it. Not being refined doesnt bother me, I'm not looking at using it all day everyday. The not being able to climb a grade with a load concerns me. Anyone have any insight into this? It doesnt need to power up a steep steep hill, but I need it to be able to at least make it up the same hills my 2 wheel drive garden tractors can.
The other machines I have considered are the Ingersoll small LBH (6018, 7020) an the Kubota B20/21. The Bota's never seem to be under 10K, and the Ingersolls are nearly impossible to find, and even smaller than the Terramites.
So, let's hear about these Mites, good and bad.

/ Terramite T5, are they really that bad? #2  
My only experience with the T-5 is a weekend rental, so for what its worth, I can say I was very impressed with its digging ability. I dug an 8 foot deep hole for a basement entrance and it was pulling stones out from way down below without breaking a sweat. Its a light machine and will move a bit when digging, but I think most mini backhoes are similar. I didn't care much for the 20hp gasoline engine it had on it, (not sure of the model) it was loud and ran rough, but then again it was a rental with some hours on it. Had hydraulic drive like you say single speed, I thought it felt a bit weak, but moved the machine adequately.

I also rented an Ingersoll similar sized unit, it also dug well, though maybe not with the reach that the TC had. Pretty small footpring allowed getting in tight spaces, but for trenching or ditching the short reach is a pain as you have to constantly move the machine.

If a new machine is going for $7500, sounds pretty cheap, but I would rather have a diesel. A used Ford 1520, or the newer NH TC models likely can be found in that range, though likely a backhoe would be extra cost. If you haven't try renting one of these that might help you decide.

/ Terramite T5, are they really that bad? #3  
I had one for a few years and thought it was an OK machine. The backhoe was pretty impressive and I considered comparable to the backhoe on the B21 that I replaced it with. I think where you will be disappointed is the earth moving you mentioned. Being 2wd, light and no power steering, I understand some models now have power steering, it is a slow process to move much dirt. On the plus side it is a very simple machine and replacement parts are very accessible through numbers of sources.

The Kubota B20 or B21 is a much more capable machine for loader work and the ability to use attachments for grading. If you can rent a Terramite for day and see how it will work in your situation before buying. Also, in the $7500 range you mention you can sometimes find older full size TLB's that still have some useable life left in them.

MarkV

/ Terramite T5, are they really that bad? #4  
I am in the market for a used sub 4000 lb loader/backhoe. I have a lot of grading and trenching to do, good deal of earth moving. I understand there are much bigger and better units for these jobs, ie a skid loader and a mini ex. But, I have a limited budget and will have lots of free time to use the thing.
So, in the range of $7500, can anything touch a Terramite T5?

Take a look around for an Allmand TLB. They are usually purchased by rental and utility co's. Comparable in looks to the TC, but.....
Kioti LK series

Why a sub 4000lb. towing concerns?

/ Terramite T5, are they really that bad?
Thanks for the replies so far. The $7500 represents a 5 - 10 year old Terramite with some hours on it. And it is crazy how you can buy a full sized Case CK for about the same money as these compact units. I have wet areas that need drainage installed, and a bigger unit would really rut up my yard. It's another reason I am trying to walk the fine line between a machine that is heavy enough to actually do some work and one that is too big to be of use to me.
I was under the impression the T5C and the Kubota B20/21 were about the same weight? I'm sure having 4wd and diff lock, multiple range trans makes a huge difference though. It seems like the Mite compared to the Bota is like comparing a Ford Focus to a Corvette. Ignorance may be bliss having never operated anything high end.
I know the Mite is supposedly slow, and I'm sure that will get old quick. But in reality I don't have much farther than 50 yards to move material from dump site to area needed. I also am really wondering if the issue people are having wiht these not being able to climb a grade is due to "flooring" the pedal instead of just feathering it where it makes the most torque.
Just not sure I can get much else for the $7500 price limit right now. The reals seems pretty good on them as well, so I suppose if I would hate the machine I could resell it.

/ Terramite T5, are they really that bad?
tlbuser, I did a quick search for the Allmands, have heard pretty good things about them. They seem hard to touch for under $10K though. My only reason for wanting to be under 4K lbs was due to my yard being very soft in a lot of places. Anyting much heavier would need to have very wide tires to not rut up my yard badly. Size and weight for trailering is a factor as well though.
So I'm assuming you think the Allmands are much better than the Terramites? The Kioti LK's look to be quite big?

/ Terramite T5, are they really that bad? #7  
In my personal opinion after using one a fair amount--

the T5C ground speed is slow compared to my tractor. You don't have a multispeed transmission-just a hydro.

Hill climbing maxs it out.

The front bucket capacity is relatively small. I haven't had great success digging with the front bucket unless I break up the material with the backhoe and then scoop it. The T5C I use is 2 wheel drive.

The backhoe part digs well--if you have sharp bucket teeth. If they get worn, it really hurts the digging.

Built heavy.

Fairly simple machine to work on. Pain to drain oil because you have to pull a hose and drain it from there.

20 HP kohler engine burns a lot of gas.

These units would be much improved if they had small diesels in the 30 hp range on them in my opinion. I think they put gas engines on there because they are used as rental units.

Not sure what else is available by comparison. This is just my personal opinion.

You could always rent one and use it for a while to see if you like it.

/ Terramite T5, are they really that bad? #8  
I rented a Terramite, don't remember which model, but it did have the turbo Kubota diesel in it. On one hand it had trouble climbing a small grade, no extra load, that my Kioti CK30 climbs no issue with a load. The BH dug fairly well, and the FEL worked better as a bulldozer than my CK30 does. The one speed drove me nuts... took forever to get somewhere. I was also not fond of the HST pedal position, there were a few unplanned movements. List price new they seemed very over priced but rental places often use them and they seem built like a tank.

HTH

/ Terramite T5, are they really that bad? #9  
We've sold T5c's used for 5-6k already.

... add me to the list of people who think they are total junk. Maybe okay for a rental yard as they are not mechanicsly complex and easy to work on, but refinded and modern they are not!

/ Terramite T5, are they really that bad? #10  
Buy an old Case B or K use it and when you're done resell it, but I bet you'll end up keeping it.
They're reliable, handy, heavy old machines that get the job done for very little $$. :thumbsup:

The think what most guys that buy little backhoes or mini ex's don't understand or overlook is that it's the weight (we call it _ss) that makes them more ergonomic & useable day in & out. I just did 8 hrs of digging in a full size backhoe today and my helper did 8 hours on a little TLB on same jobsite. I'm refreshed & ready to play with my kids. He's whupped and looked like he just walked out of infantry combat.

Last edited: