Telescoping stabilizer repair

/ Telescoping stabilizer repair #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Boy this could go in about a dozen forums. General repair, Kubota, welding, projects, snow removal, etc but here I guess will do.

My bota MX has the telescoping stabilizers. The old L3400 had the turnbuckles.

I know everyone raves about the telescoping ones. But I haven't liked them since day one. Seems there is never a hole that's just quite right and I still end up with an inch or two of slop at the implement.

For most people, probably not a problem using a 500 pound mower or a 350 pound blade. But I use my equipment and have heavy implements. A 1250# blade and a 1600# cutter...an inch or two of movement is alot of inertia. And things continue to get sloppier and more worn.

Well I was out plowing....and with an angled blade does put alot of stress on the stabilizers. Well when I got home....I had half of one hanging on the right side. No idea where the other half is. So....time for a fix.....and to address the slop with infinite adjustment.

I had my old toplink hanging on the wall since I made my hydraulic one. Time to sacrifice it.

After taking some careful measurements....started cutting and welding.

Was a fun 2hr shop project.

IMG_20220208_174852009.jpg

IMG_20220208_180228067.jpg

IMG_20220208_190057775.jpg

/ Telescoping stabilizer repair #2  
Nice work! I'm not a fan of the newer style either. It's certainly quicker to adjust, but rarely just how I want it.
I also don't care for the leveling adjustment, which is threaded rod, but not as easy to use as the older crank style I was used to.

• Good Post
Reactions: LD1
   / Telescoping stabilizer repair #3  
I noticed the extra holes near the front end of the new stabilizer link and wondering what they are used for.

/ Telescoping stabilizer repair
I noticed the extra holes near the front end of the new stabilizer link and wondering what they are used for.
The three holes on the ROPS just above where the stabilizer is hooked?

They arent for the stabilizer. The stabilizer can ONLY go in the hole made for it. Which is inline with where the lower arms pin to the tractor. IF the stabilizer hole is above or below....fore or aft....them as the 3PH raises and lowers they would be trying to pivot around different points. And the stabilizer will either become loose or get tight, bind, and likely break something.

The holes you refer to are where a backhoe subframe would bolt to.

/ Telescoping stabilizer repair #5  
Very nice!

Now you are making me want to get a welder.

/ Telescoping stabilizer repair #6  
The three holes on the ROPS just above where the stabilizer is hooked?

They arent for the stabilizer. The stabilizer can ONLY go in the hole made for it. Which is inline with where the lower arms pin to the tractor. IF the stabilizer hole is above or below....fore or aft....them as the 3PH raises and lowers they would be trying to pivot around different points. And the stabilizer will either become loose or get tight, bind, and likely break something.

The holes you refer to are where a backhoe subframe would bolt to.
It makes sense that one wants the pivot holes for the lower links and the stabilizers to be axially aligned. But I've had folks tell me that there needs to be a slight misalignment that will cause the links to "tighten" when the 3PH is raised to eliminate side sway for transport. Sure wouldn't want them to be tight in the down position, however, in that scenario. I was just curious what the extra holes were for.

/ Telescoping stabilizer repair #7  
That’s a good repair. The one problem I have encountered with those is the arms really need to be pulled to the inside not the outside which those do. If you have quality implements with double ears that’s not a problem but if you’re using the cheaper implements with just the exposed pin it puts all the force against the retaining pin and bends it.

/ Telescoping stabilizer repair #8  
That's where a QH is a good solution.

That’s a good repair. The one problem I have encountered with those is the arms really need to be pulled to the inside not the outside which those do. If you have quality implements with double ears that’s not a problem but if you’re using the cheaper implements with just the exposed pin it puts all the force against the retaining pin and bends it.
Using a quick hitch 95% of the time so no concern there

It makes sense that one wants the pivot holes for the lower links and the stabilizers to be axially aligned. But I've had folks tell me that there needs to be a slight misalignment that will cause the links to "tighten" when the 3PH is raised to eliminate side sway for transport. Sure wouldn't want them to be tight in the down position, however, in that scenario. I was just curious what the extra holes were for.
Some older tractors were setup this way....but wasn't user adjustable

Think like the JD tractors that had sway blocks. Forced the arms tighter when raised.

But it's a recipe for disaster if there was a misalignment and tightened when lowered.

For me, with either a rear blade or a bush hog, or rear pallet forks, or my trailer mover....I don't want any slop at any position.

Just a little slop....banging side to side....turns into more and more slop until something breaks