T264 Phantom Starting

/ T264 Phantom Starting #1  

Mclark!

Tractor
T264
My T264 was purchased new in 2020. I have had no issues with it until recently. I have 110 hrs on the unit. About 2 weeks ago about 8pm during a rain storm. My tractor was parked outside of my garage. (usually I keep it garaged). As I sat in my living room I could hear something running. I went to investigate and I found my tractor idling. I hadn't sat on the seat for at least 36 hours. A bit confused I walked over to the machine and sure enough idling away. No dash lights, Key in the off position. I had my counter weight on the ground and my bucket on the ground. I had not set the parking brake. (So the safety switch was not released). It was raining quite hard out. I turned the key to the on position and off, nothing happened. I played with the switch back and forth. Each time I put it to run position the panel lights would come on. Not knowing quite what to do and now soaking wet from the pouring rain. I turned the key all the way to the start position then back to off. That killed the engine. I then pressed the brake pedal and tried starting it. Nothing happened except panel lights came on. I then said enough of this for tonight, I quickly disconnected the battery just in case it tried to start again through the night.
After discussions with my dealer, they had never heard of anything like this happening. And honestly neither had I. Also after my discussion with the dealer, they were very honest when we talked about them coming to get my machine and taking it there for a Non Warranty issue. The dealer is 2hrs from my home. So just transporting it was going to be costly. I couldn't haul it myself whereas I couldn't start the machine to load it. I did mention that I had a local equipment repair shop about 20mins from my house so it might be more cost effective to have them look at it. The service dept at the dealership said they totally understood and even said, if it were his machine he would probably do the same. He also said for the local shop to contact them if they had any questions. ( I really thought that was a decent option, very impressed with the dealership on how they worked with me on figuring out my best option)
So I write all of this just to inform anyone that may run into this problem or something similar. Basically what the local shop found was a "starter signal wire was shorted to ground" "All fuses were checked and were all good" "chased wire back to fuel shutoff solenoid and found starter circuit runs through solenoid for pull/start signal" "found bad start relay and bad run relay"
The parts for this only cost $260.00, the labor was the killer. Considering this shop had never worked on a TYM, they were chasing wires. I may of been better off on labor costs if I had gone to the dealer. But 20/20 hindsight. Like I said, I am not complaining about any of this, just thought it might help someone down the road. The tractor runs great now, just hoping I don't go through this again, but if I do I have kept my service report. LOL

/ T264 Phantom Starting #2  
Just curious as to the length of the warranty on TYM's. You mentioned taking it to the dealer for a non-warranty issue. Wouldn't this be covered?

/ T264 Phantom Starting #3  
Lawyers that caused idiot proofing widgets to be required should have been standing in rain with you to relish their work and paid the bill for you.

/ T264 Phantom Starting #4  
Did the shop that fixed the short say what the shorted wire looked like? Just wondering if it was vermin/mouse related - chewed on wires.

/ T264 Phantom Starting
Just curious as to the length of the warranty on TYM's. You mentioned taking it to the dealer for a non-warranty issue. Wouldn't this be covered?
The warranty is 1 year bumper to bumper and 6 year power train. And the Power train warranty is quite limited.

Did the shop that fixed the short say what the shorted wire looked like? Just wondering if it was vermin/mouse related - chewed on wires.

The shop said it was caused from a chaffed wire.