Stupid Things I Have Done

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #251  
We used to wear ties at work and get yelled at when we were in front of the customers if we didn't. Working on electronics we would never wear metal, but a spinning motor catching a tie would be a quick end.
One day when the VP was yelling at us, one of the guys took his tie and put if next to the Northport, when it grabbed and shredded it with much noise, he stopped asking us to wear ties.
We hung that tie by the shop door, as a good reminder to the execs when they came in, to not be by the machinery.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #252  
We used to wear ties at work and get yelled at when we were in front of the customers if we didn't. Working on electronics we would never wear metal, but a spinning motor catching a tie would be a quick end.
One day when the VP was yelling at us, one of the guys took his tie and put if next to the Northport, when it grabbed and shredded it with much noise, he stopped asking us to wear ties.
We hung that tie by the shop door, as a good reminder to the execs when they came in, to not be by the machinery.
If I were boss...clip on bowties would be mandatory

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #253  
... ties at work and get yelled at when we were in front of the customers if we didn't. Working on electronics we would never wear metal, but a spinning motor catching a tie would be a quick end.
30 something years ago I had a W-4 Main Propulsion Assistant who issued a directive that anyone who wore a tie in his engine room would have it cut off. Before it was over his Tie board had, among others, The Chief Engineer's, The XO's and the CO's ties. No one, save an ensign, said anything...he had been a Warrant Officer for like 20 years.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #254  
We have a mandatory glove policy.

The safety director was being extreme in enforcing the policy. The policy was black and white, with no Grey area what so ever.

I set up a demonstration one day in the shop. Had the safety directors (regional and head) come out to the shop.

I handed them a box of pieces parts I keep for replacing broken sensor plugs and pins on engine wiring harnesses.

I asked them to crimp the wires into the micro pins and assemble one of the plugs using their glove policy

The policy was updated later that day

The ammendment stated "We understand that their are some cases where you can't do your job with gloves on. You are allowed to remove gloves for the needed repair, and then expected to put your gloves back on"

I explained during the demonstration, that I can't see well enough wearing my prescription safety glasses to put those plugs together. I actually have to go grab my regular eye glasses (bifocals) in order to assemble one of those plugs

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #255  
About 3 years ago, I bought a brand new 6'4"×16' dual axle landscape trailer (I rarely buy anything brand new). About the 3rd time using it, I didn't lift jack high enough and bent it. So, then it wont go up as high, bend it more, ect. Fought with Jack since then; just finally replaced it with 5000 lbs jack and wide plate from HF on Wednesday. $60 in stupid tax.

Have noticed truck weak start since tuesday (i drive a work vehicle during the week); figured it had sat for about 6 days; maybe a cabin light was on; just needs ran to charge it. Ignored weak start today, and ended up stranded at gas station. No big deal, got cables, and Lith-Ion jump pack; except they were in son's truck 50 miles away. Had to have a neighbor come jump me off; and then spent $230 on a new battery.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #256  
About 3 years ago, I bought a brand new 6'4"×16' dual axle landscape trailer (I rarely buy anything brand new). About the 3rd time using it, I didn't lift jack high enough and bent it. So, then it wont go up as high, bend it more, ect. Fought with Jack since then; just finally replaced it with 5000 lbs jack and wide plate from HF on Wednesday. $60 in stupid tax.

Have noticed truck weak start since tuesday (i drive a work vehicle during the week); figured it had sat for about 6 days; maybe a cabin light was on; just needs ran to charge it. Ignored weak start today, and ended up stranded at gas station. No big deal, got cables, and Lith-Ion jump pack; except they were in son's truck 50 miles away. Had to have a neighbor come jump me off; and then spent $230 on a new battery.
I did very similar to your last episode in my company truck. The check engine light came on but that’s normal for a GM so I planned to have it checked out at my next oil change. I was off one day and used it to go to the post office (I am allowed personal use for a low per mile cost.)
I ended up going to the hardware store 20 miles away and when I got back to the truck the battery was dead. No problem, I went back in and bought a battery and booster cables. I didn’t have my wallet but had a CC in the glove compartment. It was declined. :(
Luckily the bank next door was open so I walked over and took out enough money to pay the bill.
When I got home and checked my cell phone I had a text. phone call and email from my CC holder telling me that the card was declined because of a fraud alert. What’s the sense of having the card for emergencies if it isn’t going to work when you need it?
The worst part though is the embarrassment of having the card declined.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #257  
no photo sorry

from Spring to Fall I typically have a 100 foot long premium quality farm hose ($120.00) on the back yard, servicing the fire pit, and the chicken /duck run.
so, 2 yrs ago I'm cleaning up the yard, accidentally dropped the box blade as I came around the corner ... the prongs shredded the hose at approximately the mid point (uggh). I still need to buy a new garden hose.

i think this thread has the potential to be the longest thread on TBN :) hopefully we all learn by the mistakes of others. stay safe.

Last edited:
   / Stupid Things I Have Done #258  
I did very similar to your last episode in my company truck. The check engine light came on but that’s normal for a GM so I planned to have it checked out at my next oil change. I was off one day and used it to go to the post office (I am allowed personal use for a low per mile cost.)
I ended up going to the hardware store 20 miles away and when I got back to the truck the battery was dead. No problem, I went back in and bought a battery and booster cables. I didn’t have my wallet but had a CC in the glove compartment. It was declined. :(
Luckily the bank next door was open so I walked over and took out enough money to pay the bill.
When I got home and checked my cell phone I had a text. phone call and email from my CC holder telling me that the card was declined because of a fraud alert. What’s the sense of having the card for emergencies if it isn’t going to work when you need it?
The worst part though is the embarrassment of having the card declined.
I've had my card declined periodically over the past couple years. But I also have a mild case of dyslexia due to astigmatism in both eyes.

I'll jump a line while reading without realizing it. Sometimes up, sometimes down. My glasses help, but it gets more frequent when i'm fatigued.

About 40% of the time it's me keying in the wrong pin number. Run the card again and I'll get the pin number correct.

On the occasions where it's been flat out declined period, I've called the bank to find out why it didn't go through. A few times, it was determined to be a bad/ worn card reader and the bank had no record of a transaction being attempted.

But the majority are due to numerous reports of fraudulent charges from that location (usually gas station). So the bank basically black balled that buisiness or location.

In the case of my company credit card, the company has a list of exclusions where the card can't be used period. But they didn't provide the employees with those exclusions. So if I need PH strips for the shop, my card will not work at the pool supply company that's just down the road. I have to drive across the city to a Big box store or Wally World where my card is allowed ro be used.

Last edited:
   / Stupid Things I Have Done #259  
My guardian angel has been working overtime for the past 70+ years. I see no reason for her to slack off now!

At least I hope she don't

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #260  
no photo sorry

from Spring to Fall I typically have a 100 foot long premium quality farm hose ($120.00) on the back yard, servicing the fire pit, and the chicken /duck run.
so, 2 yrs ago I'm cleaning up the yard, accidentally dropped the box blade as I came around the corner ... the prongs shredded the hose at approximately the mid point (uggh). I still need to buy a new garden hose.

i think this thread has the potential to be the longest thread on TBN :) hopefully we all learn by the mistakes of others. stay safe.
Another hose related story... my father had a 96 foot long greenhouse, so he put a faucet at mid point on each side and bought (2) 50 foot hoses.
They weren't long enough to reach the end of the greenhouse.