Stupid Things I Have Done

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #191  
I sold my camper yesterday and while cleaning up and weed whacking i made a slight adjustment to my dsl cable.
Haven't done that (yet), but I did once "discover" a semi-buried tarp with my bush-hog. That was a joy to unwind/cut out. :mad:

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #192  
I was working under the dash on my BX2230 installing a TinyTach, hooking up hot and ground wires. Somehow I got my watch band touching the positive battery post and a metal bracket at the same time. The band got really hot really fast, and it took a second to figure out what was going on. It's a Seiko titanium watch and band, and apparently titanium is a very good electrical conductor. So by the time I got it off, my wrist was burned almost completely around, except where the watch case was. It did burn through a couple of the pins in the band, but other than that it was undamaged. I fixed those and I had to wear it on my right wrist for a month or so until the burns healed.
The other wrist has a big burn scar where a 3/4", nearly red hot lock washer fell into the cuff on my work glove. That one stung a little bit.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #193  
Haven't done that (yet), but I did once "discover" a semi-buried tarp with my bush-hog. That was a joy to unwind/cut out. :mad:
Try unwrapping chicken wire from the drive shaft of your pickup... when you are just leaving home for the week and need to meet somebody.

A friend told me that it isn't fun.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #194  
I was working under the dash on my BX2230 installing a TinyTach, hooking up hot and ground wires. Somehow I got my watch band touching the positive battery post and a metal bracket at the same time. The band got really hot really fast, and it took a second to figure out what was going on.
I've worked with electrical equipment most of my career, and that's why I never wear any jewelery, including a wedding ring. Fortunately, the Mrs. is OK with that.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #195  
I was working under the dash on my BX2230 installing a TinyTach, hooking up hot and ground wires. Somehow I got my watch band touching the positive battery post and a metal bracket at the same time. The band got really hot really fast, and it took a second to figure out what was going on. It's a Seiko titanium watch and band, and apparently titanium is a very good electrical conductor. So by the time I got it off, my wrist was burned almost completely around, except where the watch case was. It did burn through a couple of the pins in the band, but other than that it was undamaged. I fixed those and I had to wear it on my right wrist for a month or so until the burns healed.
The other wrist has a big burn scar where a 3/4", nearly red hot lock washer fell into the cuff on my work glove. That one stung a little bit.
Wow! Looks like you got it bad. I had a similar thing happen many years ago; I was coming home from a date, driving my 1941 Chevy coupe. Hit the RR tracks, and the lights went out. No problem; it burned fuses all the time. I reached under the dash to pull the fuse, and got my wristband shorted on the heater switch. The watch came off super fast; left a blister about the size of a nickel on the inside of my wrist. Took me a minute or two to figure out what happened.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #196  
Try unwrapping chicken wire from the drive shaft of your pickup... when you are just leaving home for the week and need to meet somebody.

Friend of mine said a farm worker on his Dad's farm, lost a leg when the post hole digger on the tractor caught a buried strand of barbed wire, wound it up in the auger along with the worker's leg. Scary stuff.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #197  
Friend of mine said a farm worker on his Dad's farm, lost a leg when the post hole digger on the tractor caught a buried strand of barbed wire, wound it up in the auger along with the worker's leg. Scary stuff.
Hey, I'm eating breakfast here! 😂😂😂✌🏻

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #198  
I've worked with electrical equipment most of my career, and that's why I never wear any jewelery, including a wedding ring. Fortunately, the Mrs. is OK with that.
That's why I have a silicone wedding band, cheap on Amazon ($8-12 for a four pack?), non-conductive, won't deglove my finger if it gets snagged on something.

Aaron Z

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #199  

BIL gathered pecans in a parachute in the bed of his truck. Flying down the highway, paracords wrapped around the driveshaft and about scared them to death when a million pecans went airborne after that chute wrapped itself up. Took several hours to get that chute cut off.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #200  
About 30 years ago on a cross country trip I drove into Albuquerque to find a place for a quick meal. It was dark and snowing. I was a bit lost and found myself behind an old pickup loaded with furniture and household goods. A pillow fell off the back of the pickup. I can still see it in my headlights through the snow - kind of surreal - and I ran over the pillow.

A very short time later there was a racket that I cannot quite describe. I was sure something very serious had gone wrong with the car. I decided I had to stay the night and find a mechanic or garage in the morning and pulled into the first motel I saw. The next morning I found a garage and they put the car on a lift. I was waiting for some really bad news. What we found, however, is that a wire had wrapped itself very tightly around the U-joint with parts of it sticking out - thus the racket. Also found were remnants of a pillow within the wound up wire. It was wound up in there so tightly that he had to cut the wire out, small bit by small bit, with a pair of nippers. The pillow was one of the older kind with a wire around the edge.

I was a day late getting back to California but I had an excuse - but one I was sure no one would believe - I ran over a pillow.

Last edited: