stuck pin

/ stuck pin
brass punch and air hammer will walk it right out
Got both, but like I said, I was trying to confirm that it was ok to force it out. Thanks to all who replied.

/ stuck pin #12  
How many hours on the tractor ? Can you remove the other pin that might help relieve some pressure and make it easier to remove ?

/ stuck pin
How many hours on the tractor ? Can you remove the other pin that might help relieve some pressure and make it easier to remove ?
About 400 hours. I hadn't thought about dropping the outrigger, or removing the other pin to relieve any tension on the pin. Have too many other other projects going on I guess. Thanks for that suggestion.-

/ stuck pin #14  
With the outrigger up the only pressure on the pin is from the weight of the outrigger itself, which isn't that much. You should be able to push up and feel it take up the slop in the linkages. Or use a tie down between the two outriggers to pull them together. Maybe with it pulled up you can get some grease in it.

If the cylinder eye has worn into the pin there might be a ridge that's keeping the pin from sliding sideways. Pulling/pushing up the right way should let you get the ridge past the eye.

/ stuck pin #15  
You can hit the pin as hard as you want but if you mushroom the end it won’t come out.

/ stuck pin #16  
Is the pin just below the problem one free to move sideways? If so you could pull that one and drop the leg down, then there'd just be the bracket on the problem pin.

/ stuck pin #18  
Always use a brass pin or even a brass hammer to pound on the pin. You might also have pressure on it by the hydraulics. If it truly stuck you should notice when running it up and down even by noise. Spray it good and run it up and down so penetrating oil works in and take pressure off and start pounding.

/ stuck pin #19  
Before I hit it hard, I need to know if it is solid and OK to hit hard.
No. It isn't OK to hit it hard. Tapping was fine, a few light smacks and some heat are allowable... but hitting it hard is not. Good on you for asking first.

That end of the stabilizer is a lever. Hitting it may get the pin out, but it will probably just make things worse. It can just bend the flange or the other end of the cylinder where it connects to the tractor.

What most mechanics will do is take a puller, hook the puller claws onto the far side of the flange, and then tighten the puller center bolt so that it presses on the end of the pin. The picture will give you the idea. Pullers can be expensive, but Harbor Freight has hat style for under $20 bucks. Better pullers will have "Tee Bolts" that can be used instead of puller claws. Those bolts can fasten to a plate or something on the far side of the flange. Each time you come up against a stuck gear or shaft it requires ingenuity... and a puller.

You can get a lot more force on the pin by rigging up a puller than by beating on it. And no damage... If that doesn't budge the pin, next step is to repeat while heating the bushing.

You may have to use a torch - or at least a propane/Mapp gas torch - and get that bushing really hot.
BTW, disconnect the hoses to the cylinder before adding heat. And it's not uncommon to use some worm drive hose clamps to hold the puller claws in position.
Good luck,
go slow
Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 1.52.29 PM.png

Last edited:
   / stuck pin #20  
Pin is almost certainly solid. Be careful not to bend the ears or booger up the end so it jams up inside worse than it is already.
Use the quote feature instead a reposting the exact thing that a member (me) posted