Storm Prep

/ Storm Prep #11  
Two thousand-gallon tanks?!? Wow!

We have a thousand gallon tank (buried) for just a gas stove and the standby generator. I thought *I* was overly prepping!

For the whole house - furnace, water heater, generator……

/ Storm Prep #12  
For my house we dont need power to heat or cook so a generator isnt super important.

Generaly for ice storms have a good working and sharp chainsaw along with a few days food and water. It may be days before the roads are really passable so getting out in a hurry prob wont be super important.

/ Storm Prep #13  
In 1997, I lived in a development with public water and natural gas service. Had a storm that knocked out power for about a week over a large region. Still had running/hot water though; had a small 5,000 watt generator for lights and refrigerator. Was during the summer, so didn’t need heat.

Moved to the country in 2001. No public utilities except for electric. If the power went out, it would be like a log cabin - no running water, no heat (house has no fireplace). That’s the primary reason for going all in on a whole house generator, especially if it happened in the winter.

Surprisingly, since I had it installed about 20 years ago, the longest outage we’ve had was maybe 8 hours during a summer day. Still feel that it was a good investment though; peace of mind.

/ Storm Prep #15  
I just make sure the porch is loaded up with firewood and the backup supply is in the shed. If I can get to the far shed there is MUCH more wood. I can cook on/in the woodstove if needed. We would use the water supply for drinking and poop in a pail so we don't flush toilets.

/ Storm Prep #17  
I make sure we have at least 12 hours worth of food and one of those 12 hour candles. Do cell phone flashlights put out heat? :D

/ Storm Prep #18  
Hurricane lamps and oil lanterns. We have a bunch and plenty of lamp oil. Lanterns are still as handy as back in the day. Not great light but you can find the toilet or walk the dogs.

/ Storm Prep #19  
What part of VT are you from? I'm in the NEK, made sure Generator was full of gas, back up can, snowblower ready, tractor as well.
Maybe got 6" overnight and another 2 during the day. Our outlook is cold. We are normally colder than 2 miles away, must be elevation. Week looks like 20's to low 30's during the day and low teens at night. But with Sundays warm weather and rain, driveway isn't frozen yet, so I was shooting Staymat out of snowblower...

/ Storm Prep #20  
I'll fire up the generator to fill the tub with water from the well and use that to flush the toilet before I poop in a bucket. 🙃

And that's only 4 months in the winter. I have pool water to flush the toilet the rest of the year. ;)
Composting toilets, we just stir the "pot". Add a little litter as needed. Dump out the urine in the compost piles.