Storm Prep

/ Storm Prep #1  

HAR

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7300 (1999)
Hi Guys.
Here in Vermont, what was previously forecast as a mostly rain event with the chance for mild flooding due to rain/melting snow, this morning was reclassified as a Winter Storm Warning, with much less rain and forecast 8-12" heavy wet snow or more, with 25-35 mph winds and gusts 45 mph or more, and warnings of downed trees, branches, and possible wide spread power outages.

Erring on the side of caution, and as my wife and I are now both retired, I took the snowblower off and mounted the PTO generator. If it is crucial to drive someplace, I can quickly detach the power and use the tractor bucket to clear a path. I moved the tractor and genset next to the double throw connection, made sure the tank was full, and now I wait for mother nature. I know some of you might feel this is foolishness, and others may agree. BUT...why by fire insurance, you will probably never use it. If all does not transpire, I have had a few minutes of time alone with my tractor and my genset has been exercised. If something truly happens, it will just take me minutes to be back on power. A week or so ago, we had another similar event, but my area was spared. Some 30,000+ others were not so lucky and they spent 24-36 hours without power for nearly identical conditions, just the WX forecast was way off and no one suspected such an outcome.

The 3-5 day forecast has daytime temps that very well could melt most any snow that might fall.

Ah, the joys of winter in the northeast.

/ Storm Prep #2  
Hi Guys.
Here in Vermont, what was previously forecast as a mostly rain event with the chance for mild flooding due to rain/melting snow, this morning was reclassified as a Winter Storm Warning, with much less rain and forecast 8-12" heavy wet snow or more, with 25-35 mph winds and gusts 45 mph or more, and warnings of downed trees, branches, and possible wide spread power outages.

Erring on the side of caution, and as my wife and I are now both retired, I took the snowblower off and mounted the PTO generator. If it is crucial to drive someplace, I can quickly detach the power and use the tractor bucket to clear a path. I moved the tractor and genset next to the double throw connection, made sure the tank was full, and now I wait for mother nature. I know some of you might feel this is foolishness, and others may agree. BUT...why by fire insurance, you will probably never use it. If all does not transpire, I have had a few minutes of time alone with my tractor and my genset has been exercised. If something truly happens, it will just take me minutes to be back on power. A week or so ago, we had another similar event, but my area was spared. Some 30,000+ others were not so lucky and they spent 24-36 hours without power for nearly identical conditions, just the WX forecast was way off and no one suspected such an outcome.

The 3-5 day forecast has daytime temps that very well could melt most any snow that might fall.

Seems like a reasonable plan, every time it looks like storms here I kick the well pump on to top off the 12000 gallon water tank. Buys me quite a while before I have to drag the genset to the well house to refill the tank.

/ Storm Prep #4  
Hi Guys.

Never hurts to be prepared. (y) Personally, I'd keep the snow removal equipment on knowing that I could easily get the generator hooked up if needed.

/ Storm Prep #5  
Always better to be over prepared than not prepared at all.

I always have the equipment ready to go (fueled up, etc), have a whole house propane generator on two 1,000 gallon tanks, and food and water.

May only need it once every ten years, but you’ll thank yourself when it’s that time.

/ Storm Prep #7  
We are on the rain/wind side of the same event. Flood warnings out. My house in no danger but roads are susceptible.

/ Storm Prep #8  
Pacific Northwest experiencing record rain.

I was up at the place getting ready for new tenants and noticed my drainage totally blocked solid… extended a few days thinking I need to clear and rented a mini excavator… glad I did!

/ Storm Prep #9  
I always have the equipment ready to go (fueled up, etc), have a whole house propane generator on two 1,000 gallon tanks, and food and water.

Two thousand-gallon tanks?!? Wow!

We have a thousand gallon tank (buried) for just a gas stove and the standby generator. I thought *I* was overly prepping!

/ Storm Prep #10  
This is TBN...nobody here is going to take issue with your plan. Pretty much everyone here is going to say the same thing I am: "Good plan!" (y)