Stihl or Echo top handle saw?

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw?
xyz123,

So a 355T is a good model to look for if looking for a pro top handle?

In your price range new. Considered the pro range.

If wanting 8lb PHO size Echo 355T 35cc or Efco MTT 3600 36cc.

If wanting the smallest lightest Echo 2511 25cc

I wanted a 2511 but got a 150T on trade way back. Ended up selling to a tree guy for 350.

Stihl's just cost to much for their 150 151 201 now days.

View attachment 862363

Man that’s like the Stihl I want.
Is that a 150T

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #13  
Looking for suggestions on used pro grade, or at least commercial (non-homeowner) top handle saws
I have Stihl & Echo dealers and would prefer to stick with them.
Not looking for brand warfare.
Anyone have actual model they have used a lot and really like?
Price is important here. I can’t spend $800 on new. Would like to find something under $400
I have always been happy with Stihl pro saws, and the loggers in the west seem to favor them. That said, I have other types of Echo equipment and like their products a lot. I don’t think you can go wrong with either brand or a Husky in the pro grade series.

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #14  
Stihl's just cost to much for their 150 151 201 now days.
I don't think Stihl wants to sell Top handle saws to homeowners. Not just because they price them so high but they specifically offer NO warranty for homeowner use. The higher prices though go a good way to discourage homeowner use but the lack of a warranty would make most back away.

Attachments

• IMG_9320.jpeg
    IMG_9320.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
   / Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #15  
What about the top handle in particular do you like? Now that I finally have a little time with my Echo I've been really happy with it, but I often wonder what the ergonomic difference is with the location of the handle. I wonder if I'd like a top handle more? Grass, greener, fence, etc.

Let us know how the new to you saw treats you.

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #16  
Quite a few Echo dealers on Amazon and some have good prices. One thing about Echo saws, don't matter where you buy them, their warranty is predicated on serial number only, not where you buy it at all.

I like my CS top handle a lot, like I said, all I did was replace the muff with one from Saw it Again for 35 bucks and remove the plastic shroud over the front of the carb throat. Did quite a bit more to the Timber Bear however. Removed the top baffle on the muff, opened a few slots in the base of it, installed a 5 degree offset crank key and the ignition module and replaced the stock flocked air filter with a Red Beard oiled foam air cleaner and velocity stack. It pulls a 20" bar, full cut ripping on seasoned oak no issue. Pulled the limiter caps as well and set it so if 4 strokes a tad at WOT. Bought it at dealer cost from my Kubota dealer btw.

Still have and use my ancient (45 year old 028), runs just fine and I modded the muff on it as well, many, many years ago. Stihl only made and sold the 028 I have for 2 years. Has the heated hand grip and no chain brake either and the case is all alloy but the top shroud. It's a screamer, RPM saw.

I am all set with a mid size 20” Stihl 261C 20” bar and a upper-mid size 500i with 25” bar.
I want a small top handle I can use for little jobs that I can run with one hand.

Trying to save a few bucks here, so I was thinking Echo this time around, or used.

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #18  
Echo saws flood my local FB marketplace. We have a lot of people buying Home Depot return pallets and reselling on marketplace, most are pretty much new condition. I would start my search there if you want a used saw.

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #19  
I have an Echo 355T that I got pinched in a limb. I gave it a good yank (mistake!!) to free it from the limb, and ended up ripping the handle clean off of the saw. Turns out, there is only a little molded plastic tab that connects the handle to the main body/ case. The repair involved replacing the entire case, and a few hours of my labor. Needless to say, the design was less robust than I expected. Since replacing the case, I now have and endless oil leak/ drip from that saw, requiring me to have to store it on its side.

I am planning to replace it with a Stihl 201T soon.

Good luck with your decision.

Now THAT is the kind of honesty we can apreciate