Starlink

/ Starlink
#1,311  
Still waiting and it cannot come soon enough. Today did a speed test on our VERIZON internet down .50, up .48 and at times nothing would work. It seems the internet is getting worse for us and we have no options available other than Hughes net
According to this website, Verizon Fios is available in Bolivar, PA.

Best Internet Providers in Bolivar, PA

/ Starlink #1,312  
Not exactly Starlink, but caused by DishyMcFlatFace needing a clear view of the sky that we don't have at the house.

Has anyone installed their dish far enough away to need / use fiber? Single mode? Multimode? BiDi? Brands? Suppliers?

I am right at 250' to get back to the house, and while I did consider copper Ethernet cabling, I got to thinking about ground loops and lightning, which lead me to look at a short run of fiber to isolate the grounds. I was thinking of pulling a dual fiber single mode direct burial fiber in conduit, but using BiDi media transceivers (good to 12Miles) that use only one fiber to have a backup fiber, just in case.

Any thoughts or comments most welcome.

Thanks!

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,313  
Has anyone installed their dish far enough away to need / use fiber? Single mode? Multimode? BiDi? Brands? Suppliers?

I am right at 250' to get back to the house,
I have almost the identical distances. And I am going to use fiber. Have not picked it out yet-- my electrician just orders custom pieces to run in the conduit. I'll ask him what it is.

/ Starlink #1,314  
Thanks!

Must be nice to have an electrician who knows how to run fiber. My local guys had no clue. They are electricians, I get it, but it torpedoed another project that I had in mind. (Cell and internet from a peak 500' from the house.) I didn't want them learning on my fiber, as they proposed designs that had bend radii way too small for fiber, and the fiber was never going to survive the install.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,315  
   / Starlink #1,316  
Fiber is the typical suggestion for overcoming that distance issue that gets mentioned on the Reddit Starlink sections. If you provide a weather-protected enclosure with power at the dish site and then use a fiber interconnect you can run fiber to the destination and re-convert.

Another option is point-to-point wireless antennas. As long as you have line of sight they should do just fine and can bridge considerable distances. May be easier and cheaper than fiber.

Rob

/ Starlink #1,317  
Fiber is the typical suggestion for overcoming that distance issue that gets mentioned on the Reddit Starlink sections. If you provide a weather-protected enclosure with power at the dish site and then use a fiber interconnect you can run fiber to the destination and re-convert.

Another option is point-to-point wireless antennas. As long as you have line of sight they should do just fine and can bridge considerable distances. May be easier and cheaper than fiber.

Rob
Thanks, I did think about line of sight, but the site here works against it, at least without getting fancy.

I will have another look at Reddit for fiber tips.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,318  
Thanks, I did think about line of sight, but the site here works against it, at least without getting fancy.

I will have another look at Reddit for fiber tips.

All the best,

Peter
Have a look in reddit "HomeNetworking" I have seen some good ideas there. I need to get a connection between my shop and house, about 400 ft apart and no line of sight so I am looking at fibre optic as well.

/ Starlink #1,319  
Starlink had a successful launch of 51 satellites w/laser communication for Polar orbits on Monday. It will be a few months before they are online.