Starlink

/ Starlink #3,591  
Don't know why you would have to do this.
The Satellite reception will be the same for him as is it for you assuming unobstructed view.
He can come to your house and see how it works. Then install it on his house. Sorry to be so thick , if no then what am I missing?
You are missing the fact they stream their tv shows/movies and we don't. Their TV is on the 3rd floor of their house. Easier to string a fiber cable through the woods than cart their TV to my house. They don't have any issue with just surfing the net, but when it comes to Zoom calls and streaming TV, that is when they get into issues. They also don't keep the same schedule we do and dropping a feed to their house is the best, easiest and most accurate way to compare. I have no interest in him starting a 2 hr Zoom call in my house at 8pm, which he often does and his fiber system drops calls often apparently.

/ Starlink #3,592  
Here is the response I received from the ticket. As soon as they sent the reply they closed the ticket. Lol

1115EAD8-63DE-4D2C-BA20-62FB2EB925D8.png

/ Starlink #3,593  
I would worry that if the neighbor starts streaming TV from Starlink the service capacity will diminish and you will be getting the same email as above. I've been careful not to tell anybody about my success but the service has been reduced to sometimes unusable levels anyway.

Let us know how it works out.

/ Starlink #3,594  
You are missing the fact they stream their tv shows/movies and we don't. Their TV is on the 3rd floor of their house. Easier to string a fiber cable through the woods than cart their TV to my house. They don't have any issue with just surfing the net, but when it comes to Zoom calls and streaming TV, that is when they get into issues. They also don't keep the same schedule we do and dropping a feed to their house is the best, easiest and most accurate way to compare. I have no interest in him starting a 2 hr Zoom call in my house at 8pm, which he often does and his fiber system drops calls often apparently.
Bandwidth issues can be due to more than the ISP. If they have a large, multi-floor house their issue might be with the local wifi signal. I'd encourage them to test their streaming with a device in very close proximity to the ISP router at the time they experience problems. If it is still crappy there, with a very solid wifi signal to the streaming device, then suspect the ISP. If it is better then maybe they need a mesh wifi network to get strong signal across their house.

We used to have streaming issues in our fairly long house with the TV that was on opposite end of the house from the router. Put in a TP-Link Deco M9+ mesh system and it made a world of difference.

/ Starlink #3,595  
Bandwidth issues can be due to more than the ISP. If they have a large, multi-floor house their issue might be with the local wifi signal. I'd encourage them to test their streaming with a device in very close proximity to the ISP router at the time they experience problems. If it is still crappy there, with a very solid wifi signal to the streaming device, then suspect the ISP. If it is better then maybe they need a mesh wifi network to get strong signal across their house.

We used to have streaming issues in our fairly long house with the TV that was on opposite end of the house from the router. Put in a TP-Link Deco M9+ mesh system and it made a world of difference.
He has logged speeds from 4am to 11pm daily for over a month. Speeds go up and down depending on time of day and are apparently very repeatable. Evenings when he is trying to stream TV and/or do Zoom calls... he gets buffering or calls dropped. He has Netgear Orbi mesh units on all 3 floors. I personally think he may have too many. I have been trying to get up with him to see just what he has in his house and see if speeds at his fiber modem can be measured. But for a retired guy, it is difficult to get our schedules to match up.

/ Starlink #3,596  
You might also try a program that analyzes the WiFi network and can provide a graphical representation of WiFi coverage to spot areas of poor reception. There's on called WiFi Explorer I use on Mac laptops, but someone else here can probably suggest another app that's Windows friendly if that one isn't.

If your neighbor doesn't have an obstruction free place for the Starlink antenna, you might be able to set it up along side your SL antenna and then string fiber over to his place. Not sure if Starlink would see that his antenna isn't actually sited at your home, so that could be an issue. But I would be very reluctant to share bandwidth with someone with such demanding usage requirements, especially since Starlink is having more and more issues with providing adequate levels of service.

/ Starlink #3,597  
He has logged speeds from 4am to 11pm daily for over a month. Speeds go up and down depending on time of day and are apparently very repeatable. Evenings when he is trying to stream TV and/or do Zoom calls... he gets buffering or calls dropped. He has Netgear Orbi mesh units on all 3 floors. I personally think he may have too many. I have been trying to get up with him to see just what he has in his house and see if speeds at his fiber modem can be measured. But for a retired guy, it is difficult to get our schedules to match up.
For my $0.02, if he hasn't tried running an Ethernet cable from the fiber modem to a switch and then a cable p, or two, to his computer(s) for the zoom calls, and streaming, I think that he should. That would rule out a bunch of things, and should be step one.

I have no particular reason to think that his issues aren't just fiber overloading, but there are lots of ways to mess up a WiFi network, even more to mess up a mesh network (combined 2.4/5GHz SSIDs, some LED lights, dimmers, garage door openers, poor mesh layout, old IOT devices, etc.)

He might want to look at WiFiman, from Ubiquiti.

I wouldn't bother running a cable through the woods. There is lots of publicly available data out there that demonstrates that Starlink works for multiple concurrent zoom calls and streaming. (To which I can certainly attest.) If he doesn't believe what is publicly known, then I think it has reached the "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" stage, and I would leave him to it until he is willing to listen to your advice and follow it. Training horses has taught me a lot about how to do deal with problem cases gently. Just sayin'...

There are networking consultants out in internet land that would be more than happy to consult for your neighbor.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Starlink #3,598  
For my $0.02, if he hasn't tried running an Ethernet cable from the fiber modem to a switch and then a cable p, or two, to his computer(s) for the zoom calls, and streaming, I think that he should. That would rule out a bunch of things, and should be step one.

I have no particular reason to think that his issues aren't just fiber overloading, but there are lots of ways to mess up a WiFi network, even more to mess up a mesh network (combined 2.4/5GHz SSIDs, some LED lights, dimmers, garage door openers, poor mesh layout, old IOT devices, etc.)

He might want to look at WiFiman, from Ubiquiti.

I wouldn't bother running a cable through the woods. There is lots of publicly available data out there that demonstrates thatStarlink works for multiple concurrent zoom calls and streaming. (To which I can certainly attest.) If he doesn't believe what is publicly known, then I think it has reached the "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" stage, and I would leave him to it until he is willing to listen to your advice and follow it. Training horses has taught me a lot about how to do deal with problem cases gently. Just sayin'...

There are networking consultants out in internet land that would be more than happy to consult for your neighbor.

All the best,

Peter

I have not had quite the positive experience with Starlink as some have had. While it is faster then the previous land based wireless system I used to use it seems to be way less then many post about. I have had buffering issues a few times watching videos or movies. My wife has had dropped zoom calls and work chat sessions and I seen slow and incomplete page loading at times, that have required refreshing to get the entire page to load.

/ Starlink #3,599  
I have not had quite the positive experience with Starlink as some have had. While it is faster then the previous land based wireless system I used to use it seems to be way less then many post about. I have had buffering issues a few times watching videos or movies. My wife has had dropped zoom calls and work chat sessions and I seen slow and incomplete page loading at times, that have required refreshing to get the entire page to load.
I had a Zoom meeting today from noon until 1, had buffering several times.

/ Starlink #3,600  
There are a lot of things that can lead to those types of issues. Getting to resolution can often be a journey. You'll probably looked into these, but in case:

- Obstructions. Even a small quantity or 'infrequent' can disrupt connections.
- Weather. Though not nearly as affected as other sat things like DirecTV, heavy rain, thunderstorms or snow can disrupt.
- Cable management. A kinked or pinched cable can manifest like obstructions.
- De-prioritized plans. If you're on the RV or portability plan your service will take a back seat to others in your cell.
- Local network stuff as pony mentions above.

By the way, referencing "slow and incomplete page loading" requiring reload. That's really just an Internet thing. I have that happen on many devices over many different ISP connections, even very solid connections.