Starlink

/ Starlink #3,571  
Well, that's a lot faster than what I had with Hughes net. My speed with Starlink tonight is 16.64 so pretty slow for Starlink. The area I'm in is either Starlink or HughesNet and most have or are transitioning to Starlink.
I do not have many options either. My question is this change happened with in the week I got the price increase. My question is did they throttle speed back like they do for the Best Effort plan? Something definitely changed all at once like a switch was flipped.

/ Starlink #3,572  
This is right now. Clear skies and no obstructions.
Before the change during peak hours it would get down to like 30-50mbps. But never lower than that unless during a storm.

68EA45CC-D8C7-4558-A043-4F81EECC1EA5.png

/ Starlink #3,573  
I opened a ticket with support on 2/22/23 for the drastically reduced speeds during peak times. I got a generic reply to try some things But support would reply shortly.

I did not hear anything else from them so on 2/27/23 I uploaded a screenshot of my speed test during peak hours.

View attachment 786701

As of today still nothing from support and the ticket is still open. Customer service at it‘s finest. 😂 Who thinks they will ever reply?
When I put in a ticket for a question about install I got a call back from a random California phone #. Didn't realize it was them and missed it.

/ Starlink #3,574  
When I put in a ticket for a question about install I got a call back from a random California phone #. Didn't realize it was them and missed it.
That is possible although I don’t think I have missed any calls. I was thinking they would reply to the email in the app. But who knows.

/ Starlink #3,575  
I opened a ticket with support on 2/22/23 for the drastically reduced speeds during peak times. I got a generic reply to try some things But support would reply shortly.

I did not hear anything else from them so on 2/27/23 I uploaded a screenshot of my speed test during peak hours.

View attachment 786701

As of today still nothing from support and the ticket is still open. Customer service at it‘s finest. 😂 Who thinks they will ever reply?

I would send them more / updated information. Gently stir the pot. It can take awhile.

I hear that they have a few software releases that are causing trouble for some people. Eventually, they looked at mine a couple of times and had me pull the Ethernet adapter and then decided that the cable, Ethernet adapter and router had gone bad.

I have read that the connections on the cable and router/Dishy can have trouble either due to not seating well or due to water/dust intrusion. Whether that is intrusion over time, or due to humidity or due to say, nearby lightning strikes, I have no idea. I'm just hope that our Dishy isn't also bad.

Good luck!

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #3,577  
Perhaps it's just where I'm located here in northeast Pennsylvania but I sometimes get very different results depending on the speed test app I'm using. On some occasions, Ookla shows speeds 5X faster than the Starlink router.

/ Starlink #3,578  
Okalala Speed Test may be a bit skewed in Starlinks favor. Right now it's telling me I have 167 down. The regular internet speed test is saying 100. 100mbps is great but my speed will be greatly reduced when everybody else wakes up.

/ Starlink #3,579  
I am very curious in what world starlink is faster than fiber. Fiber is typically approaching 1gbps, where starlink is under 100mbps.

It could be DSL over fiber lines instead of copper? That’s what we have offered by CenturyLink. They replaced the copper with fiber 8 years ago but service offerings did not change. Best it can do is 40/5.

Only reason I switched to SL was the upload is better and help my wife work zoom calls.

/ Starlink #3,580  
I have never gotten consistent up or download speeds with Starlink or the cell phone Internet providers. The numbers are all over the place. I don't really see a difference in the network when in actual use.

With CenturyStink, the numbers were pretty consistent, SLOW. When you only have 1.5 mbps it is pretty danged hard to go slower.