Starlink

/ Starlink #3,581  
Starlink has been flaky lately. Sucked last night - and again this am. 1 yr ago you could game on it... now I can't guarranty you can work on it.

/ Starlink #3,582  
Starlink has been flaky lately. Sucked last night - and again this am. 1 yr ago you could game on it... now I can't guarranty you can work on it.
I don't play games so I can't comment about it with Starlink, but I work too many hours a day, including too many video conferences, and I have not had a problem with Starlink. No problem with streaming video either, unless there is VERY HEAVY rain, which has not happened since last spring. Did notice that the over the air TV was pixelating the other night due to high winds. I think the high wind moves the TV tower and messes up the signal.

Starlink has worked much, much better than CenturyStink or cell based Internet. Knock on wood.

/ Starlink #3,583  
I heard that my local fibre broadband company had reduced their rates and increased their speeds. Here is at the pricing info I received two days ago, this is for a minimum 2 year contract.

25 Mbps Symmetric24 months$39.99/month$6,425 one time installation fee
50 Mbps Symmetric24 months$59.99/month$5,975 one time installation fee
100 Mbps Symmetric24 months$85.99/month$5,400 one time installation fee
200 Mbps Symmetric24 months$149.99/month$4,000 one time installation fee

I understand from my neighbor, who has the 200 Mbps package, that at night the speeds slow down so much that they can't stream movies without it buffering. He is NOT happy with their service.

I'll stick with my Starlink thank you.

/ Starlink #3,584  
Those installation fees make the Starlink hardware costs seem pretty minor, don't they?

/ Starlink #3,585  
As is often the case, the devil is in the details. With things like fiber, it is a good idea to ask about Service Level Agreements (SLA). Whether you can get an SLA with details will vary by location and state. If your provider has one, it will define what constitutes things like speed and uptime. If it includes language like "speeds up to..." and " best effort", it is a pig in a poke in my opinion. Around here, only a few providers are willing to define the service, and fewer still have any sort of remedy for missing the SLA specifications. Symmetric 200Mbit/s should be blazingly fast. Should.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #3,586  
As is often the case, the devil is in the details. With things like fiber, it is a good idea to ask about Service Level Agreements (SLA). Whether you can get an SLA with details will vary by location and state. If your provider has one, it will define what constitutes things like speed and uptime. If it includes language like "speeds up to..." and " best effort", it is a pig in a poke in my opinion. Around here, only a few providers are willing to define the service, and fewer still have any sort of remedy for missing the SLA specifications. Symmetric 200Mbit/s should be blazingly fast. Should.

All the best,

Peter
Yup, 200Mb/s should be fast and it is during off peak hours. Neighbor says he can almost set his watch by when the speeds drop off, and by how much. I was told the service agreement is about 20 pages long... all protecting the provider. Apparently the language regarding speeds is 'up to', then again Starlink says the same thing. But when you are paying a premium for 200Mb/s service and can't stream a movie without buffering... something is wrong. Provider has been to his house 4 times in 6 months and says everything is okay. I'm about ready to get a 500' fiber cable and run it to his house to see if Starlink will provide him with what he needs before he orders it.

/ Starlink #3,587  
Yup, 200Mb/s should be fast and it is during off peak hours. Neighbor says he can almost set his watch by when the speeds drop off, and by how much. I was told the service agreement is about 20 pages long... all protecting the provider. Apparently the language regarding speeds is 'up to', then again Starlink says the same thing. But when you are paying a premium for 200Mb/s service and can't stream a movie without buffering... something is wrong. Provider has been to his house 4 times in 6 months and says everything is okay. I'm about ready to get a 500' fiber cable and run it to his house to see if Starlink will provide him with what he needs before he orders it.
If you're serious about the Starlink connection, look into "wireless bridge" devices. Much easier than running a cable and they don't have to be expensive.

/ Starlink #3,588  
If you're serious about the Starlink connection, look into "wireless bridge" devices. Much easier than running a cable and they don't have to be expensive.
I have a wireless bridge 450' to my shop, with a fairly clear path. But my property is heavily wooded and so is his, even in the winter we can't see each others house. It is about 430' to his house, I don't know of a wireless bridge that would get over the river and thru the woods to his house. Then again I haven't looked at the latest wireless bridge's.

/ Starlink #3,589  
Unobstructed (well, minimally obstructed) line of sight is important for a wireless bridge. So if you have a lot of trees then that rules it out. Carry on with your other plan.

/ Starlink #3,590  
Don't know why you would have to do this.
The Satellite reception will be the same for him as is it for you assuming unobstructed view.
He can come to your house and see how it works. Then install it on his house. Sorry to be so thick , if no then what am I missing?