Spring Cleanup Anyone?

/ Spring Cleanup Anyone? #1  

Emainiac

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1626 Shuttle, Mahindra 2015 Gear, Ford 1200, Farmall Cub
It's been a rough winter in Maine and I'm dealing with lots of trees and limbs that came down from two back-to-back ice storms. One tree glanced off the roof of my barn damaging the metal roof and it will have to be replaced pretty quick. I don't have a grapple, but I've been happy with the ability of moving lots of bulky branches using my forks. I've thought of getting a grapple, but honestly don't think I could justify the expense. I'm fine doing a bit of physical labor outside of the seat sometimes because I feel that if you don't use it, you lose it.

Spent a couple hours cutting the tree apart and loading it to a temporary location until it stops raining so I can start a fire and add to it. At least I was able to add to my wood pile for next years firewood.

Next, it's on to over-seeding areas of the lawn that are slow to come in this spring.

Attachments

• IMG_4398.jpeg
    IMG_4398.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4403.jpeg
    IMG_4403.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4405.jpeg
    IMG_4405.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4414.jpeg
    IMG_4414.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 68
   / Spring Cleanup Anyone? #2  
It's been a rough winter in Maine
Rough winter in CA. This morning was the 11th morning I spent burning, about 55-60 large piles so far. Probably more than half done at this point, but that is only to address immediate need stuff.

Lots of downed trees that will become lumber. But who knows when there is time to do that.

Widespread damage everywhere ............... good luck out there!

/ Spring Cleanup Anyone? #3  
Also extra clean up here from so call mild winter.

/ Spring Cleanup Anyone?
Is the 50-60 piles from this winter alone? Yikes!

/ Spring Cleanup Anyone? #5  
   / Spring Cleanup Anyone? #6  
Rough winter in CA. This morning was the 11th morning I spent burning, about 55-60 large piles so far. Probably more than half done at this point, but that is only to address immediate need stuff.

Lots of downed trees that will become lumber. But who knows when there is time to do that.

Widespread damage everywhere ............... good luck out there!
Been doing burn piles since rains stopped.... Lost maybe 30-40 full trees (oaks) and as many as 200+ limbs on my still standing oaks.... It was so bad I actually had to have a crew of 4 with mini excavator in here for 5-6 days and still only have about 1/3 of what needs to be done to clear my 10 acres of dead fall.... Between a forest fire that came to my property line and right behind that atmospheric rivers which brought mud and silt from fire zone and then snow storm that dumped 18-24 inches of snow where we usually only get 3-4 inches....
Think this set of forks I made will not survive the clean up, already had to do reinforcements to them, probably next winter project will be to make new set with stouter materials and such.....Looking at the crew working next door with skid steer and grapple makes me wish I had a grapple...

forks-1-jpg.686028

/ Spring Cleanup Anyone? #7  
$1129 for MTL 48" grapple. I have one on my L2501. Huge labor saver. Compact Tractor 48"-54"-60" HD Root Grapple Hydraulic - quick attach — MTL Attachments

Manual diverter valve from Tractor Innovations $595. Mahindra Remote Hydraulic Kits | TractorInnovations

I used forks for years thinking a grapple was too much money. I now believe I made a big mistake because if I had bought the grapple years ago it would have been cheaper and I could have been using it all this time. You can compress material with the grapple lid. Easier to clamp onto a pile of limbs from a tree top and crush them into a more manageable pile.

Last edited:
   / Spring Cleanup Anyone? #8  
makes me wish I had a grapple...
I purchased a Frostbite grapple about 6 months ago. I have used it extensively for this cleanup. It is so efficient to drag/pull an entire tree to the burn pile, then buck it and burn it there.

Regarding the burn quantity, last year was a drought. So burning days were restricted, and some piles burned now were carry over from last year.

On the other hand, all I have addressed is debris in pastures and on the periphery of pastures. Just so I don't hit it with a mower later this season. Have not yet ventured into forested areas filled with blown down trees. That is a whole other deal.

/ Spring Cleanup Anyone?
$1129 for MTL 48" grapple. I have one on my L2501. Huge labor saver. Compact Tractor 48"-54"-60" HD Root Grapple Hydraulic - quick attach — MTL Attachments

Manual diverter valve from Tractor Innovations $595. Mahindra Remote Hydraulic Kits | TractorInnovations

I used forks for years thinking a grapple was too much money. I now believe I made a big mistake because if I had bought the grapple years ago it would have been cheaper and I could have been using it all this time. You can compress material with the grapple lid. Easier to clamp onto a pile of limbs from a tree top and crush them into a more manageable pile.
Thank you for the links, particularly the diverter link. That's partly the reason I've held off because I don't have front remotes. I'll read it over.

/ Spring Cleanup Anyone?
@2manyrocks
That diverter is pretty slick. You got my mind going...